4 Teams Left - 2 Coaches who have never won a SB - Legacies

knownone

Reaction score
I don’t think 2 Super Bowl wins puts Payton ahead of Pete. Payton has 5 losing seasons in 12 years with a top 3 QB. Pete doesn’t have a single losing season since landing a franchise QB.

I think Reid needs a win to cement his legacy, because he’s always been known as the guy who blows it in big games.

Mcvay winning wouldn’t bother me. He’s a good coach, but he has a long way to go before he’s in the conversation with the other 3. He’s had a team brimming with talent. It’s kind of hard to make a judgement on his coaching ability given the context.

chris98251

Reaction score
Payton has Bounty Gate as his legacy, he is a great coach but that will always follow him.

Maulbert

Reaction score
chris98251":1hq37f9z said:
Payton has Bounty Gate as his legacy, he is a great coach but that will always follow him.

Bountygate's stink is much more on Gregg Williams, IMO. Especially considering rumors that it was happening in Williams's previous coaching stops. Also, knowing Williams is Jeff Fisher's protégé makes it even easier to fully blame him.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
chris98251":20osnp81 said:
Bellicheats history of ongoing cheating hasn't hurt him...everyone just drools about this guy.

chris98251

Reaction score
Cyrus12":um8uw9c5 said:
chris98251":um8uw9c5 said:
Bellicheats history of ongoing cheating hasn't hurt him...everyone just drools about this guy.

It's what follows them once they are no longer in the game.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Maulbert":1o1luvzq said:
chris98251":1o1luvzq said:

Bountygate's stink is much more on Gregg Williams, IMO. Especially considering rumors that it was happening in Williams's previous coaching stops. Also, knowing Williams is Jeff Fisher's protégé makes it even easier to fully blame him.

That’s your Rams hate bias.

I have not seen a similar correlation anywhere.

And obvi I am not a Fisher fan.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2sjqpjzh said:
Haven't watched a single minute of the playoffs since the hawks went out. Really hoping the Chiefs and Saints win. If it's the Pat's again I am not watching a second of the super bowl as I'm tired of the same storyline every year. Ever super bowl has to have a backstory. You remember Jerome Bettis right? So I think here are the potential storylines.
1. Patriots- win one more for Gronk. Sounds like he is done after this year. Also the continuing saga of how great Bill and Tom are.

2. Chiefs-Andy Reid finally wins. Right now he is in similar class of coach like John Fox. Had good teams but could never win. The secondary story is of course the emergence of Mahomes.

3. Saints- win one for Brees. Again it's about his legacy. He is long removed since his last one. This is his last shot. Secondary to this is Payton being elevated to that next class of coaches who won more than one.

4. Rams- it's all about LA. Winning a sb will increase ticket sales for season before a title is forgotten down there. Secondary to this it's the emergence of the next Big Ben type qb in Goff. Also how great of a coach Mcvay is.

Out of these I am really hoping the Saints win. Looks like they are down a starting te and a good wr this weekend. Also Rankins is gone. Have a bad feeling its gonna be Rams Pat's...which would be a disgusting game to watch.

NFC West forever!

Maulbert

Reaction score
RedAlice":34cbf1x6 said:
Maulbert":34cbf1x6 said:
chris98251":34cbf1x6 said:

Fisher had a reputation with the Titans, which was where Gregg Williams was his DC first. Remember Albert Haynesworth stepping on Andre Gurode's head? Is that Rams bias? As for correlation:

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...s-teddy-bridgewater/lwmvkr9hew7415lhz255mgvex

hawk45

Reaction score
Division rival winning it all is generally not something I root for, but I can't think of any personalities - player or coach - that I really hate on the Rams. No kaepernick with a punchable face. I guess it would be Suh?

So I can see myself rooting for the Rams especially if they got down early to the Pats and the refs protected Brady with some BS call out of the gates.

Feels weird to say this but I don't know that a Rams Lombardi would be that much less fun than a saints or KC trophy. For me at least.

Am I forgetting any douchebaggery from the Rams this season during our games? All I remember is admiring how they actually get full leverage from their run game in PA to get wide open receivers all game long.

ryank24

Reaction score
hawk45":cawt3xrr said:
Division rival winning it all is generally not something I root for, but I can't think of any personalities - player or coach - that I really hate on the Rams. No kaepernick with a punchable face. I guess it would be Suh?

So I can see myself rooting for the Rams especially if they got down early to the Pats and the refs protected Brady with some BS call out of the gates.

Feels weird to say this but I don't know that a Rams Lombardi would be that much less fun than a saints or KC trophy. For me at least.

Am I forgetting any douchebaggery from the Rams this season during our games? All I remember is admiring how they actually get full leverage from their run game in PA to get wide open receivers all game long.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

As far as douchebaggery goes...don't forget Aaron Donald putting on his helmet and running onto the field after the game to fight Sweezy (or was it Britt). Not sure anything else tops that this season.

justafan

Reaction score
RedAlice":3fmzmu9s said:
Maulbert":3fmzmu9s said:
chris98251":3fmzmu9s said:

Bountygate was on Payton. He should have been drummed out of the league and the SB stripped. Dirtiest team I am aware of or watched since the raiders

chris98251

Reaction score
justafan":1m9i3yo7 said:
RedAlice":1m9i3yo7 said:
Maulbert":1m9i3yo7 said:
chris98251":1m9i3yo7 said:

Bountygate was on Payton. He should have been drummed out of the league and the SB stripped. Dirtiest team I am aware of or watched since the raiders

You call the Raiders dirty, they played on the edge of the rules and you knew it because they told you and everyone else they are the Raiders and we're going to punch you in the mouth or take your head off if you come in this area, they rules allowed it so it wasn't dirty just extra physical. Until the Stingley incident it was good, that play changed everything.

What the Saint did with Williams and Fisher was do it and deny it.