The Saints were jobbed

El Caliente

Reaction score
Bull shit, you throw the flag, and after discussing it if everyone is in agreement then you pick up the flag (like they did in the first quarter when (once again) Nickell Roby held the receiver).

The refs were either drunk, dumb, or on the take. There is no other humanly explanation as to how that wasn’t called.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
When the Rams players flat out SAYS he drilled the guy, come on. This was beyond obvious, it was blatant and not even up for debate. He drilled him, with his back to him AND hit his helmet w/his helmet. Presto, here's your Super Bowl Rams. What a joke. The NFL has become pro wrestling. Sad

Mindsink

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1l7jlj0z said:
When the Rams players flat out SAYS he drilled the guy, come on. This was beyond obvious, it was blatant and not even up for debate. He drilled him, with his back to him AND hit his helmet w/his helmet. Presto, here's your Super Bowl Rams. What a joke. The NFL has become pro wrestling. Sad

Funny you should mention that.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ringer/status/1087133904153137152[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/HulkHogan/status/1087150085111189507[/tweet]

James in PA

Reaction score
If the NFL had any integrity, if they really wanted to get it right, there would be a do over in which the Rams and Saints reconvene in New Orleans for the final 1:49 of regulation, with the score tied at 20 and the Saints having a first down just inside the L.A. five. Rams have 1 timeout remaining.

Yep, there is now a lawsuit seeking this scenario. Of course it won’t win because it would be exactly the right thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Si

Reaction score
James in PA":275c3k3o said:
If the NFL had any integrity, if they really wanted to get it right, there would be a do over in which the Rams and Saints reconvene in New Orleans for the final 1:49 of regulation, with the score tied at 20 and the Saints having a first down just inside the L.A. five. Rams have 1 timeout remaining.

Yep, there is now a lawsuit seeking this scenario. Of course it won’t win because it would be exactly the right thing to do.

It would not be the right thing to do.

The game has always been played with and officiated with human fallibility a part of it.

This error is massive but the solution will be the futute not the past.

Sucks for Saints fans though. They won a Super Bowl on the backs of many questionable calls in their NFC win against the Vikings years ago.

Remember those conspiracy theories? Katrina? Brees? Etc.

snackdaddy

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2vf7unhu said:
James in PA":2vf7unhu said:

It would not be the right thing to do.

The game has always been played with and officiated with human fallibility a part of it.

This error is massive but the solution will be the futute not the past.

Sucks for Saints fans though. They won a Super Bowl on the backs of many questionable calls in their NFC win against the Vikings years ago.

Remember those conspiracy theories? Katrina? Brees? Etc.

When the Patriots beat the Rams in SB36 it was right after 9/11. More than a few think the NFL felt it would be good for the country if a team called the Patriots beat the heavily favored team. Most the country was on their side at the time. I personally think Mike Martz's arrogance caused that loss. The Patriots practically dared them to run keeping extra DB's as their base defense. Martz chose not to use his Hall of Fame running back and continued to throw.

Do I think its a conspiracy? No, I don't. I think refs are human. They can either make mistakes or get caught up in the emotion of a big game. Every fan thinks the refs are against their team.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, doesn't change the fact that this one non call cost the Saints a Super Bowl. There's no reason for something like this to happen.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I'm literally in shock that 3 pages into this thread, there are people (just a few) who are actually trying to minimize the horrible nature and impact of that call.

As sports fans, we understand there will be fallacies when humans referee the sport....but likewise we should all be understandably upset when such an egregious mistake sullies the outcome of a championship game.

We all have the right to....and SHOULD feel angry that referees that are supposed to be the best in the world make a mistake that ruins the validity of the sport many of us love.

It sucks. And we ALL know how it feels.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
All those months of hard work by these players. All that $ and emotion and time that the fans invest in the team. All thrown out the window on a BLATANT non-call. Doesn't matter what happened before that play, that play cost the Saints a Super Bowl. It's not even up for debate.

D

DomeHawk

Yep, and every close call went to the Pats. Brady was awesome, he didn't need the help.

And, what about that rule where that doesn't allow the other team to respond if the other team makes an opening drive TD in OT?

So much BS, I won't be hosting the big SB bash at my house this year.

Screw the NFL!

Mindsink

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":lf8jfqm0 said:
Doesn't matter what happened before that play, that play cost the Saints a Super Bowl. It's not even up for debate.

Exactly. Anyone trying to lighten the impact of that call based on calls that happened throughout the game are completely missing the point. This was not something that was subject to interpretation or the refs "letting them play". The defender completely blew up the receiver to assure there was no possibility of a catch.

Mindsink

Reaction score
DomeHawk":xeybvb3u said:
Yep, and every close call went to the Pats. Brady was awesome, he didn't need the help.

And, what about that rule where that doesn't allow the other team to respond if the other team makes an opening drive TD in OT?

Screw the NFL!

Wait Wut?

I don't think you quite have a grasp of how overtime works.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Screw that mess. I'll be hosting a Superb Owl party regardless of not being overly excited about the game. Super Bowl parties are more about spending time w/family and friends, eating and drinking a ridiculous amount of food and alcohol etc. And having fun and stuff.......

Chapow

Reaction score
Ambrose83":1hxkke5i said:
The missed facemask on Goff took 4 pts off the board.... That one call wasn't the only erogenous one..... Just the last one.... Saints lost that game... Not on that call .

Erogenous? :lol:

39acb9529e1177f687d14303085caf2e3b67eba9464d301195

I believe the word you're looking for is egregious.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawkpower":ngy0qgac said:
I'm literally in shock that 3 pages into this thread, there are people (just a few) who are actually trying to minimize the horrible nature and impact of that call.

As sports fans, we understand there will be fallacies when humans referee the sport....but likewise we should all be understandably upset when such an egregious mistake sullies the outcome of a championship game.

We all have the right to....and SHOULD feel angry that referees that are supposed to be the best in the world make a mistake that ruins the validity of the sport many of us love.

It sucks. And we ALL know how it feels.

Not reading many saying it doesnt suck or people shouldn't be angry.

Just people either rarionalizing how such an wrror as made... or thinking it was felonious

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3cl4u1j0 said:

I'm in the same boat, couldn't believe what I was reading. It was the single worst no-call I have ever witnessed that directly influenced the outcome of the game. There's no argument and there's no equivalence when it comes to the prior calls/missed calls in that game. It was egregious and indefensible.

Chapow

Reaction score
Whataboutism.

It's about the only thing the people still trying to rationalize it have.

Tumblr oicojgj8AZ1qkvbwso1 400

Seymour

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1dce6srk said:

Screw the NFL!

You must mean the "I'm tired can we go home now" rule??

SuperBowel can bite my choda. :pukeface:

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1gxyekc5 said:
Screw that mess. I'll be hosting a Superb Owl party regardless of not being overly excited about the game. Super Bowl parties are more about spending time w/family and friends, eating and drinking a ridiculous amount of food and alcohol etc. And having fun and stuff.......

Host it 2 hours late so you can fast forward through the game to watch the commercials then. :2thumbs: