The Saints were jobbed

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I don't understand why the NFL would replay the game.

After the Saints kicked a FG, they had a 78% chance to win the game - their chance at the start of a brand new game is less than that.

In all seriousness someone please explain to me why this wouldn't happen:

NFL decides to replay the game after the missed PI call and give the Saints first and goal.

Rams fans sue NFL for missed facemask on the drive before - NFL decides to replay from that point and give the Rams first and goal down 20-17.

Saints fans sue for another missed call early in the game..

Rams fans sue..

Saints fans sue..

Etc, etc, etc.

Officials missed several calls in the game - and just because that PI could have decided the game (people are misconstrued the time left in this game - if the Saints knee three times and kick a FG the Rams have about 15 seconds left with the ball - not a lot of time, but that GZ kick would have been good from 67 so it's not out of the realm of possibility that this game still goes to OT even after the PI call), the facemask on Goff cost the Rams 4 points.

Earlier in the game the Saints should have had a delay of game when they were on our two yard line - they scored a TD but may have had to kick a FG had they called the delay. We can do this forever and ever and ever - instead, the NFL got what everyone should have wanted - the players decided the game.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Jac":nopj2d7r said:
Uncle Si":nopj2d7r said:
RedAlice":nopj2d7r said:
SF49r":nopj2d7r said:
I sure wish we could replay Superbowl 47 after that blatant holding on crabtree..

Haha.

I’m still waiting for anyone to tell me what the Rams did wrong.

Cuz you’ve made them the Bad Guy in this.

Rams played a game of football.

Refs messed up.

This is absolutely correct

It's semantics. The "outcome" of the Rams being in the Super Bowl is the "Bad Guy". Pretty much nobody is saying the Rams cheated with the intent of getting away with it. But there are a whole lot of people saying (or thinking) they don't really deserve to be there in the Saints' place.

That's odd though - even if the Saints had won 23-20, we outplayed in every conceivable way statistically except for turnovers. Given how insane that crowd was, the fact that the game was this close but the Rams outplayed them, definitely tells me the Rams were the better team. That home field was worth a lot of points Sunday.

And let me ask you this question: if the Hawks went up 23-20 in a game with 1 min 40 seconds left, wouldn't you expect your defense to win you that game? I would.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Jac":27riob14 said:
Mindsink":27riob14 said:
The mental gymnastics you must go through to keep your conspiracy theory relevant must be exhausting.

Let me guess, you also believe that 9/11 was an inside job, that we never landed on the moon, and that the Earth is flat? Right? :roll:

We're really to believe that this ref, in that one split second, made the conscious decision to see a foul and not throw a flag because he knew the exact game situation and knew in advance that this one call would would determine the outcome? Not to mention the Rams still had to come back and score with under 2 minutes left. And then had to stop the Saints drive in OT, and then had to march down and score the winner after that. I didn't see any bad calls/no calls during any of that.

There doesn't need to be a conspiracy for one to wonder what exactly WERE the refs thinking about in that moment. What did they see or not see that every casual fan was correctly able to? I mean refs manage to call ticky-tack penalties against defensive backs all the time. What was it about this one that made this one so hard to call? It's as if it was so obvious and egregious, they collectively short-circuited.

We'll see when the NFL comes out and says whatever they say - but my guess is that it was one giant makeup call for the Rams for how the game was officiated prior to that moment. Rams had twice the penalties and three times the penalty yards, while the Saints were committing several uncalled fouls.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL told the officials somehow to make sure this game got evened out. The public and media, from bias or whatever, are focusing on the one call and ignoring how the rest of the game was officiated. There are countless examples and many of them are making their way out onto the internet, but one of them is Aaron Donald being facemasked on the very play in question. Which makes this whole thing kind of ironic.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Mindsink":343zenh8 said:
Ramfan128":343zenh8 said:
I don't understand why the NFL would replay the game.

Replaying the game would be beyond absurd.

What's great is the line you can draw from this..

Rams fans felt we got cheated back in 01, Saints fans felt they got cheated Sunday, the Steelers got cheated out of the playoffs playing the Saints, the Seahawks got cheated out of a Super Bowl playing the Steelers, the Packers got cheated by the Fail Mary, and you can keep on going..

And what's crazy is, the Rams/Saints/Steelers/Seahawks/Packers trail of abuse all has a Super Bowl win within the past 20 years.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Ramfan128":3bm02ejx said:
Jac":3bm02ejx said:
Uncle Si":3bm02ejx said:
RedAlice":3bm02ejx said:
Haha.

Refs messed up.

This is absolutely correct

It's semantics. The "outcome" of the Rams being in the Super Bowl is the "Bad Guy". Pretty much nobody is saying the Rams cheated with the intent of getting away with it. But there are a whole lot of people saying (or thinking) they don't really deserve to be there in the Saints' place.

That's odd though - even if the Saints had won 23-20, we outplayed in every conceivable way statistically except for turnovers. Given how insane that crowd was, the fact that the game was this close but the Rams outplayed them, definitely tells me the Rams were the better team. That home field was worth a lot of points Sunday.

And let me ask you this question: if the Hawks went up 23-20 in a game with 1 min 40 seconds left, wouldn't you expect your defense to win you that game?
I would.

No. And with todays rules and how poorly your defense has played this year you are being dishonest if you think they would have.

Rams were the better team?

My goodness.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2fr2yn7l said:
Jac":2fr2yn7l said:
Mindsink":2fr2yn7l said:
The mental gymnastics you must go through to keep your conspiracy theory relevant must be exhausting.

Let me guess, you also believe that 9/11 was an inside job, that we never landed on the moon, and that the Earth is flat? Right? :roll:

We're really to believe that this ref, in that one split second, made the conscious decision to see a foul and not throw a flag because he knew the exact game situation and knew in advance that this one call would would determine the outcome? Not to mention the Rams still had to come back and score with under 2 minutes left. And then had to stop the Saints drive in OT, and then had to march down and score the winner after that. I didn't see any bad calls/no calls during any of that.

There doesn't need to be a conspiracy for one to wonder what exactly WERE the refs thinking about in that moment. What did they see or not see that every casual fan was correctly able to? I mean refs manage to call ticky-tack penalties against defensive backs all the time. What was it about this one that made this one so hard to call? It's as if it was so obvious and egregious, they collectively short-circuited.

We'll see when the NFL comes out and says whatever they say - but my guess is that it was one giant makeup call for the Rams for how the game was officiated prior to that moment. Rams had twice the penalties and three times the penalty yards, while the Saints were committing several uncalled fouls.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL told the officials somehow to make sure this game got evened out. The public and media, from bias or whatever, are focusing on the one call and ignoring how the rest of the game was officiated. There are countless examples and many of them are making their way out onto the internet, but one of them is Aaron Donald being facemasked on the very play in question. Which makes this whole thing kind of ironic.

Make up call?

Like how the 3rd down pass Interference on the rams earlier in the game wasnt called?

Maybe the clear shot to the face Brees took that went uncalled as well?

Just say thank you for the gift and move on.

Chapow

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2txt81ub said:
Jac":2txt81ub said:
Mindsink":2txt81ub said:

And another example would be Dante Fowler's blow to the head on Drew Brees right as he was releasing the ball on the interception in OT which if called would have negated the pick and put the Saints at mid field. There's a picture at the bottom of page 2 of this thread, but that's not even necessary. Go watch any replay of that play and it's quite easy to see.

Oh, and another example would be the pass interference Johnson committed on Thomas on that very same play that also wasn't called that also would have negated the interception and put the Saints right about mid field.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/01/pass-i ... terception

We can see Thomas look around for a flag as Johnson went into his celebration, and Thomas had a point. Johnson held the Saints receiver with the ball already in the air. It could have been a number of penalties — holding, pass interference or illegal contact. Instead, the officials decided to swallow the whistle (again), and it cost the Saints.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Chapow":33wagfv1 said:
Ramfan128":33wagfv1 said:
Jac":33wagfv1 said:
Mindsink":33wagfv1 said:

And another example would be Dante Fowler's blow to the head on Drew Brees right as he was releasing the ball on the interception in OT which if called would have negated the pick and put the Saints at mid field. There's a picture at the bottom of page 2 of this thread, but that's not even necessary. Go watch any replay of that play and it's quite easy to see.

Oh, and another example would be the pass interference Johnson committed on Thomas on that very same play that also wasn't called that also would have negated the interception and put the Saints right about mid field.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/01/pass-i ... terception

We can see Thomas look around for a flag as Johnson went into his celebration, and Thomas had a point. Johnson held the Saints receiver with the ball already in the air. It could have been a number of penalties — holding, pass interference or illegal contact. Instead, the officials decided to swallow the whistle (again), and it cost the Saints.

When Fowler hit Brees, he hit his shoulder. There is a still of his hand on Brees' head but you don't see that in the video.

Johnson's wasn't PI because Thomas ran into him - and JJ never held Thomas, he just stood his ground and immediately looked up for the ball. Can't imagine that ever being called PI.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1gq3os04 said:
Ramfan128":1gq3os04 said:
Jac":1gq3os04 said:
Mindsink":1gq3os04 said:

Make up call?

Like how the 3rd down pass Interference on the rams earlier in the game wasnt called?

Maybe the clear shot to the face Brees took that went uncalled as well?

Just say thank you for the gift and move on.

I was rooting for the Steelers against the Hawks in the Super Bowl. When Holmgren said something about having to play the officials, I was like "what is he talking about?" I thought there was a call or two that went the Steelers way, but I was rooting for them. After being on this site and reading what people saw and reading other articles, I realized that I was wrong. I bring this up because I want to try to convince people, because the media has helped spin this out of control.

The Rams got away with some calls. The Saints got away with more. Even if you don't agree with that, and I don't have time to go back and analyze every play, here was the penalty break down:

Rams - 7/64
Saints - 3/20

Ironically, in the Super Bowl, the Hawks had 7/70 and Steelers had 3/20. And just like you guys, for me there was a feel to it during the game. In the first half the Saints weren't flagged at all, and overall there were three non calls in the Redzone that could have potentially been a 12 point swing in the Rams favor. If those calls are made I can still point to missed calls on both teams, and the Rams still have one more penalty called on them - but we're up 12 points when the DPI happened. On the same play as the DPI, Donald is having his facemask grabbed - how can I accept a gift when, if anything, there should have been offsetting penalties?

When the DPI non call happened, it evened the officiating out. Obviously the Seahawks didn't get that benefit in the Super Bowl, but my point in bringing that up is because I think I felt similar to how you guys did until that no call. The rest of the world is looking at just that one play, but there were many missed calls in the Saints favor that people aren't talking about. Some in the Rams too - but again, we already had twice the penalties and three times the yardage. And IMO several more missed calls that favored the Saints.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Is there a rule that says penalties need to be even?
When did that happen? disparity just means your team fouled more.. and still got away with 3 huge non calls.

If this exercise is making you feel better so be it, but its not covering you in glory here.

And it wont make the asterik or long standing impact of an unearned Super Bowl trip go away.

chris98251

Reaction score
RedAlice":1lz8awxf said:
SF49r":1lz8awxf said:
I sure wish we could replay Superbowl 47 after that blatant holding on crabtree..

Haha.

Refs messed up.

Your Cornerback intentionally targeted the WR with a helmet to helmet hit and admitted that was his thought because he got beat and was going to take the penalty, don't say the Rams did nothing wrong.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Uncle Si":d7vv7etp said:
When did that happen? disparity just means your team fouled more.. and still got away with 3 huge non calls.

If this exercise is making you feel better so be it, but its not covering you in glory here.

And it wont make the asterik or long standing impact of an unearned Super Bowl trip go away.

Okay we got away with three huge non calls. Saints got away with at least six.

Unearned Super Bowl trip? My God. The Saints had a 78% chance to win the game after they got screwed so badly.

Saying this is an unearned Super Bowl trip is one of the most ignorant things I've ever read in my life.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
chris98251":t3scio1z said:
RedAlice":t3scio1z said:
SF49r":t3scio1z said:

Haha.

Refs messed up.

Your Cornerback to and targeted the WR with a helmet to helmet hit. don't say the Rams did nothing wrong.

He definitely did not target him on purpose - his head was up when he hit him.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":3snh6g1u said:
RedAlice":3snh6g1u said:
SF49r":3snh6g1u said:

Haha.

Refs messed up.

Your Cornerback to and targeted the WR with a helmet to helmet hit. don't say the Rams did nothing wrong.

Im surprised the mental gymnastics Rams fans are going through just to justify what has alteady been called the worst officiating decision in the history of the league.

Even the offending player was adamant in his guilt.

Only desperate Rams could make people root for Tom Brady... but here we are

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Uncle Si":lu75ib38 said:

So what you're saying is that every team that has more penalties called, fouled more? Because the Saints got away with a ton in the first half.

And if I reviewed the tape of every snap, I guarantee there were more missed calls in the Saints favor.

chris98251

Reaction score
Ramfan128":3fa5szl0 said:
chris98251":3fa5szl0 said:
RedAlice":3fa5szl0 said:
SF49r":3fa5szl0 said:

Haha.

Refs messed up.

He definitely did not target him on purpose - his head was up when he hit him.

He is quoted as admitting he was going after him the whole time and was going to take the penalty instead of giving up the touchdown.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Ramfan128":21prcmdi said:
Uncle Si":21prcmdi said:

Okay we got away with three huge non calls. Saints got away with at least six.

Unearned Super Bowl trip? My God. The Saints had a 78% chance to win the game after they got screwed so badly.

Saying this is an unearned Super Bowl trip is one of the most ignorant things I've ever read in my life.

You should get out more.. or just read through your posts here

Unearned... if the flag was thrown the Rams dont go. Simple.

Ignorance is trying to argue that point to justify the worst decision in nfl history going your way.

But here you are... still... trying to do just that

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3170u83q said:
chris98251":3170u83q said:
RedAlice":3170u83q said:
SF49r":3170u83q said:

Haha.

Refs messed up.

Im surprised the mental gymnastics Rams fans are going through just to justify what has alteady been called the worst officiating decision in the history of the league.

Even the offending player was adamant in his guilt.

Only desperate Rams could make people root for Tom Brady... but here we are

Just think for a minute about how incredibly dumb this sounds. Really stop and think. Take away your dislike for the Rams.

The worst officiating decision in the history of the league resulted in a team that took a lead with one minute and 40 seconds to go in regulation.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Ramfan128":37f6nmz6 said:
Uncle Si":37f6nmz6 said:

So what you're saying is that every team that has more penalties called, fouled more? Because the Saints got away with a ton in the first half.

And if I reviewed the tape of every snap, I guarantee there were more missed calls in the Saints favor.

Its gets better