Earl to Ravens

Seahawks4life

Reaction score

IndyHawk

Reaction score
rjdriver":2q8183rv said:
I will miss Earl but I will sleep better knowing that his kids won’t have to go hungry anymore. His family can finally be fed, and we should be happy for that.
I was going to send him a coupon for free chicken fingers.

SeaMeat

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2rvicf6d said:
rjdriver":2rvicf6d said:
I will miss Earl but I will sleep better knowing that his kids won’t have to go hungry anymore. His family can finally be fed, and we should be happy for that.
I was going to send him a coupon for free chicken fingers.

I'll take it!

ivotuk

Reaction score
kidhawk":2s84nczn said:
Sounds like he was about to sign a one year deal for $12 million before the Ravens made him the offer he took.

[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001023105/article/ravens-earl-thomas-was-prepared-to-sign-1yr-deal[/urltargetblank]

After seeing fellow safeties Landon Collins, Tyrann Mathieu and Adrian Amos land big deals while his market remained slow to materialize, Thomas told NBC's Peter King for his Football Morning In America column, that he'd rationalized signing a one-year, $12 million deal with incentives.

Thomas told the Ravens' official website last week he thought he was headed to Kansas City before Baltimore upped the ante.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Seahawks4life":39hvk7pt said:
Earl Thomas on flipping the Seahawks off..

“A lot of frustration that day. I was in a battle with the team, and I chose to play, and I was betting on myself. So when it happened, it just added to my frustration. I did what I did, and I saw Pete Carroll, and I just was like, ‘You won. You won.’ Just a very disappointing day.”

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/03/earl-thomas-flipped-off-seahawks-reason-ravens

That article is nonsense. This isnt at youSeahawks4life, but whoever that goofball is who writes for USA Today.

While Le’Veon Bell opted to sit out the season during a contract dispute with the Steelers, a disgruntled Earl Thomas decided to still play out his final year with the Seahawks even when the sides couldn’t reach an agreement on a new deal.

Is this writer really comparing Bell being franchised twice, to a player playing out their contract that they signed? One where they were the highest paid free safety, when signed. How is that remotely comparable?

Thomas was forced to risk injury and gamble on himself with an expiring contract,

What? Forced? In a league where a lot of players never see the end of their contracts and are cut or waived, the Seahawks honored that entire deal. Every player is risking injury when they step on the field.

in that moment, the NFL world saw the raw frustration from the 29-year-old defensive back who lost millions in one unlucky play

Did he lose millions? I don't think so, ET is fine, signed a big contract, stop with the hyperbole.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":33ccrlsw said:
Seahawks4life":33ccrlsw said:
Earl Thomas on flipping the Seahawks off..

“A lot of frustration that day. I was in a battle with the team, and I chose to play, and I was betting on myself. So when it happened, it just added to my frustration. I did what I did, and I saw Pete Carroll, and I just was like, ‘You won. You won.’ Just a very disappointing day.”

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/03/earl-thomas-flipped-off-seahawks-reason-ravens

That article is nonsense. This isnt at youSeahawks4life, but whoever that goofball is who writes for USA Today.

While Le’Veon Bell opted to sit out the season during a contract dispute with the Steelers, a disgruntled Earl Thomas decided to still play out his final year with the Seahawks even when the sides couldn’t reach an agreement on a new deal.

Is this writer really comparing Bell being franchised twice, to a player playing out their contract that they signed? One where they were the highest paid free safety, when signed. How is that remotely comparable?

Thomas was forced to risk injury and gamble on himself with an expiring contract,

What? Forced? In a league where a lot of players never see the end of their contracts and are cut or waived, the Seahawks honored that entire deal. Every player is risking injury when they step on the field.

in that moment, the NFL world saw the raw frustration from the 29-year-old defensive back who lost millions in one unlucky play

Did he lose millions? I don't think so, ET is fine, signed a big contract, stop with the hyperbole.
It’s USA Today. You didn’t expect a well planned journalistic approach did you?

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
The "you won" comment makes absolutely no sense. What exactly did Pete win? He lost arguably the best free safety in the league for the rest of the season.

As for "being forced to play the final year of his contract" do they mean like every other player in the NFL who hit free-agency? Agreed Earl is in a category of star where a lot of times those guys get their deals redone early, but not always

hawks85

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":2e8veuyf said:
He's right under 14 million a year, I don't think we could afford that. Great player when he's on the field but he's broken his leg 2 out of the last 3 years.

The Ravens let go one of the best LB's in the game to sign Earl so that's fine if people wanted to keep him but would you have given up Wagner?
My question is what if earl didn't break his leg last year and he kept playing like he was. Do we resign him?

chris98251

Reaction score
hawks85":n2qgy2xg said:
WestcoastSteve":n2qgy2xg said:
He's right under 14 million a year, I don't think we could afford that. Great player when he's on the field but he's broken his leg 2 out of the last 3 years.

The Ravens let go one of the best LB's in the game to sign Earl so that's fine if people wanted to keep him but would you have given up Wagner?
My question is what if earl didn't break his leg last year and he kept playing like he was. Do we resign him?

Not sure we would have, we would have had Wilson, Clark, Thomas and pending Wagner to be dealing with.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-rav ... e-sentence

Really intrigued to see how he does this year and if he'll be at an all pro level. With both him and Sherman I do wonder how much of it was the Seahawks system making them successful versus raw talent. Probably a combination of both. We've saw a lot of secondary talent go elsewhere and been middling/disappointing once not in the system. Browner was probably the most successful as he won a ring, but he was still not great at the Saints.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2nm0ye0c said:
https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/49986/ravens-never-putting-earl-thomas-and-comfortable-in-same-sentence

Really intrigued to see how he does this year and if he'll be at an all pro level. With both him and Sherman I do wonder how much of it was the Seahawks system making them successful versus raw talent. Probably a combination of both. We've saw a lot of secondary talent go elsewhere and been middling/disappointing once not in the system. Browner was probably the most successful as he won a ring, but he was still not great at the Saints.

For my money Sherman and Kam were perfect matches of abilities and scheme (there are defenses they wouldn't have been as dominant in) whereas Thomas would excel in any scheme. The guys who cycled through the other secondary spots were always just JAGs to begin with, IMO (they got way over paid because they started on dominant units, which happens all the time in the NFL -- see also Malcolm Smith getting way overpaid by the Raiders and 9ers because he was lucky enough to play next to Wright and Wagner in Seattle).

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Popeyejones":igvdcdyz said:
Glasgow Seahawk":igvdcdyz said:
https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/49986/ravens-never-putting-earl-thomas-and-comfortable-in-same-sentence

For my money Sherman and Kam were perfect matches of abilities and scheme (there are defenses they wouldn't have been as dominant in) whereas Thomas would excel in any scheme. The guys who cycled through the other secondary spots were always just JAGs to begin with, IMO (they got way over paid because they started on dominant units, which happens all the time in the NFL -- see also Malcolm Smith getting way overpaid by the Raiders and 9ers because he was lucky enough to play next to Wright and Wagner in Seattle).

I agree.

I think Thomas will end up on the shortlist of top safeties in NFL history. He was probably the best player (maybe Wagner) on the best defense in modern NFL history.