Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

NFL schedule

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
NFL schedule
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:13 am
  • As the schedule is coming out this week I found this read I retesting. Especially the part about lowering the percentage points of penalties with 20% immediately.

    Of course things like early start times is probably not factored in

    https://www.google.com/amp/www.espn.com ... atform=amp
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7523
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: NFL schedule
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:43 am
  • They announced this morning that it comes out tomorrow at 5pm Pacific Time :irishdrinkers:
    Nice! I was expecting Thursday.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11829
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: NFL schedule
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:45 pm

Re: NFL schedule
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:01 pm
  • mikeak wrote:As the schedule is coming out this week I found this read I retesting. Especially the part about lowering the percentage points of penalties with 20% immediately.

    Of course things like early start times is probably not factored in

    https://www.google.com/amp/www.espn.com ... atform=amp


    That was a really good read. I have a degree in Computer Science and a minor in Mathematics, so find that kind of stuff fascinating. I could absolutely see how an NFL Schedule setup could eat up a lot of resources in a Supercomputing center. Just consider 32 teams * home * away * 16 weeks * bye conflicts * London * Not playing a team after a bye too often*etc etc etc. It sounds like they were using heuristics to get it down to a manageable number, then running it through a Supercomputer AND outperforming the NFL's methods by 20%

    Thank God for Mathematicians that are also Bills fans. It still seems odd that they had to play so many teams coming off a bye for what, 10 years? And Pittsburgh never played in Seattle for the longest time? There's some fudging going on, probably in the name of "Heuristics." :P
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18341
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


Re: NFL schedule
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:38 pm
  • Another rumor has us playing at home on Halloween vs. the Vikings. :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11829
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: NFL schedule
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:16 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:
    mikeak wrote:As the schedule is coming out this week I found this read I retesting. Especially the part about lowering the percentage points of penalties with 20% immediately.

    Of course things like early start times is probably not factored in

    https://www.google.com/amp/www.espn.com ... atform=amp


    That was a really good read. I have a degree in Computer Science and a minor in Mathematics, so find that kind of stuff fascinating. I could absolutely see how an NFL Schedule setup could eat up a lot of resources in a Supercomputing center. Just consider 32 teams * home * away * 16 weeks * bye conflicts * London * Not playing a team after a bye too often*etc etc etc. It sounds like they were using heuristics to get it down to a manageable number, then running it through a Supercomputer AND outperforming the NFL's methods by 20%

    Thank God for Mathematicians that are also Bills fans. It still seems odd that they had to play so many teams coming off a bye for what, 10 years? And Pittsburgh never played in Seattle for the longest time? There's some fudging going on, probably in the name of "Heuristics." :P


    Well part of the issue is the basic setup right

    If the system says playing on the East coast does not carry any mileage issue, nor time difference issue for the visiting team, but a team can't go to the West coast more than once (or something similar) then it doesn't matter how many supercomputers or superformulas you are using - the schedule would help East coast team and all mathematical results would say it is fair...….

    I think long term the answer needs to lie somewhere in the computers figuring out what is fair or at least propose based on statistical analysis of expected win percentage based on how good a team is vs actual outcome and what could have driven the difference....
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7523
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: NFL schedule
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:35 pm
  • Actually, optimization software is fairly common and can be used for any number of scenarios where multiple choices at each stage result in multiple outcomes. While it's technically true that there are theoretically a gazillion possible combinations, it's not real-world true at all. For instance, if you have the constraint that each team has to play every other team in it's division twice a year, that one constraint alone cuts off a LOT of those theoretical possibilities. Add another constraint that each of those is a home-and-away set, a lot more go away. Add that each of the third-place teams will play the third-place team from that year's matched-up division from the other conference, and a lot more possibilities go away. Three constraints, and so far you've eliminated like 90% of those gazillion possible schedules. There are more constraints that also make up the schedule, and you can target certain aspects (miles traveled, consecutive away games, etc.) to be optimized. Then when you run it, it doesn't take a supercomputer a year, it takes a desktop PC a few minutes.

    Of course it's possible to over-constrain the scenario, in which case there will be no answer that keeps all constraints intact (in math nerd-speak, the solution will not converge).

    I used optimization software in grad school (in a class on power system economics) to optimize the starts, stops, run-times, and loads of a theoretical electric grid with a mix of generating station types, efficiencies, and fuel cost. It was actually pretty elucidating.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc
     
    Posts: 6758
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:29 pm
    Location: Orting WA, Great Northwet


Re: NFL schedule
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:41 am
  • Saints schedule is out (supposedly).

    Has Saints @Rams Week 2
    And Saints @Hawks Week 3

    Sunday games
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3323
    Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:47 am
    Location: San Diego


Re: NFL schedule
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:53 am
  • I'm hoping that is accurate. Week 3 at home on SNF vs. Brees and the Saints? oh hell yes.
    Very few places are better than the House of Noise on a warm September evening.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11829
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: NFL schedule
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:07 am
  • The leaked Saints schedule appears to be real.

    Jets and Giants out too, but that didn’t affect out teams. I don’t see anything else.

    Wondering who is stuck w the second MNF game since it’ll be two west coast teams. So far only Niners@Bucs listed.

    Also: it shows as a Sunday game, not a SNF game. But I don’t think that’s known for sure yet.
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3323
    Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:47 am
    Location: San Diego


Re: NFL schedule
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:19 am
  • Yeah, I saw one other one that said it was Sunday night. That would be a blast. Nothing but respect for Brees and the Saints. Coach is pos though imo.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11829
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: NFL schedule
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:20 am
  • Thanks for the updates! Keep em coming. I’m trying to keep calm and not go postal if we open on the road again, but it ain’t gonna be easy.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 865
    Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:36 pm


Re: NFL schedule
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:49 am
  • Can the Hawks open at home?

    Saw Bengals @Hawks listed - but it said process of elimination, not a source.
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3323
    Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:47 am
    Location: San Diego


Re: NFL schedule
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:09 pm
  • It's very likely that we are opening at home this year. M's are on the road.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11829
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: NFL schedule
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:16 pm
  • RedAlice wrote:Can the Hawks open at home?

    Saw Bengals @Hawks listed - but it said process of elimination, not a source.

    I just saw this too in a Bengals schedule leak. It has Cincy at Seattle week 1 OR hosting Cleveland.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 865
    Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:36 pm


Re: NFL schedule
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:21 pm
  • James in PA wrote:
    RedAlice wrote:Can the Hawks open at home?

    Saw Bengals @Hawks listed - but it said process of elimination, not a source.

    I just saw this too in a Bengals schedule leak. It has Cincy at Seattle week 1 OR hosting Cleveland.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    Sporting News says Browns at Titans week 1. Could that mean Cincy at Hawks week 1??


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 865
    Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:36 pm


Re: NFL schedule
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:22 pm
  • Wouldn't be the first time they put some odd pairing with us to start the season. Seems like it has happened quite a few times. Miami, Detroit, NY Jets, Tampa Bay, Chicago etc.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11829
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: NFL schedule
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:30 pm
  • Rams are @Panthers week 1, so also a random start. Then Saints and Browns.

    So looks like we are not starting out division heavy as we have in the past.
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3323
    Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:47 am
    Location: San Diego


Re: NFL schedule
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:38 pm
  • One thing we can always agree on: Eff Clam Poopin. Knock him around a little.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11829
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: NFL schedule
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:52 pm
  • IF all these schedule leaks are accurate (a big if) it will be Cincy at Hawks week one just by process of elimination. Not the sexiest matchup, but I’m just thankful we’re not opening on the road! As J.J. Watt once said, time to make Andy Dalton look like a Red Ryder BB gun!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 865
    Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:36 pm


Re: NFL schedule
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:07 pm
  • Sure would beat playing say the Saints, Vikings or the Rams to start it.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11829
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: NFL schedule
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:40 pm
  • Hawks get a SNF in Philly Week 12.
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3323
    Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:47 am
    Location: San Diego


Re: NFL schedule
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:23 pm
  • Pats start the season against 8 non playoff teams. Nice.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4090
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: NFL schedule
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:19 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Pats start the season against 8 non playoff teams. Nice.


    Because apparently being in the AFC East isn't a big enough advantage already. They'll probably have that garbage division wrapped up before December (and they have 5 games in December).
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2911
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:38 pm


Re: NFL schedule
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:49 am
  • Chapow wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Pats start the season against 8 non playoff teams. Nice.


    Because apparently being in the AFC East isn't a big enough advantage already. They'll probably have that garbage division wrapped up before December (and they have 5 games in December).


    I think there is a decent chance they start the season 8-0 and could possibly win 14 games. It's not that I think the Pats are going to be really great next season but the schedule is that easy for them.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4090
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am




It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:04 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 55 guests