Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Josh McDaniels explains Patriots importing big WRs

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • (This is the same approach Pete and John take to their players, accentuate their abilities.)

Josh McDaniels explains Patriots importing big WRs

"I think the biggest thing we try to do with our team and our offense in particular is take guys who have a skill and a talent and don't try to fit them to what we've done in the past," McDaniels said, via NBC Sports Boston. "If you try to do that, you tell me where the next Troy Brown is. Or the next Logan Mankins or the next Tom Brady. We'll try to go get that guy. It's not that easy.

"You have to have enough flexibility and versatility in your system that you can maybe feature the X-receiver. Or the Z-receiver. Or the tight end. Or two tight ends. Or the halfback. Whatever style you want to be, it should reflect the talent of your team. So that's what we're gonna do with (Harry) and see what happens. Now, he's a rookie and he's got a long way to go but in terms of him being different, he is. And we'll try to see what he does well and see what can fit in his wheelhouse."

Big-bodied Rob Gronkowski was replaced by an aging Benjamin Watson and under-productive Austin Seferian-Jenkins, but both bring size to the tight end position. Similarly, the Patriots could look to bigger receivers who can play the slot -- like Harry and Inman -- to take advantage of mismatches.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -receivers
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• ivotuk wrote:(This is the same approach Pete and John take to their players, accentuate their abilities.)

Well, on the D at least. On the O we were handicapped with bevel and rhymes-with-unable. As witness, the woeful inability to properly use "I'm Jimmy!"... We'll see how the new O-regime does. I'm still ambivalent and possibly leaning to hopeful with Schotty, which contrasts with my negative-from-the-start opinion of bevel.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• Patriots do it, they are geniuses, Seattle does it, it’s a desperate reach.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:Patriots do it, they are geniuses, Seattle does it, it’s a desperate reach.

The process probably isn't the same given the outcomes, or something.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• mrt144 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Patriots do it, they are geniuses, Seattle does it, it’s a desperate reach.

They way some of you are you would think we were the Dolphins or Cards around here.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Patriots do it, they are geniuses, Seattle does it, it’s a desperate reach.

They way some of you are you would think we were the Dolphins or Cards around here.

Nah, not at all. Rather, it's just hard to really see where the parallels are without some more guidance. I agree with GeekHawk's sentiment: I can see exactly that kind of thing with the defense. It feels like the opposite of what I've seen with the offense, even if I exaggerate it for effect.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• mrt144 wrote:

You missed the point, but thanks for playing! :sarcasm_off:
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:

The point is the national sports media and fans ourselves don't appreciate PCJS nearly enough. No, I read that loud and clear. Doesn't matter to me. I so do not give a toss about how other people respect or appreciate the Hawks and the staff. We win, they can't say a damn thing.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• mrt144 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:

The point is the national sports media and fans ourselves don't appreciate PCJS nearly enough. No, I read that loud and clear. Doesn't matter to me. I so do not give a toss about how other people respect or appreciate the Hawks and the staff. We win, they can't say a damn thing.

They have been saying the same shit win or lose, we as fans just laugh at them for being so set in their ways that they cannot admit John and Pete know what they are doing. They will keep saying this crap till the day comes where we fall off and they will say see we told you so.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:

They have been saying the same shit win or lose, we as fans just laugh at them for being so set in their ways that they cannot admit John and Pete know what they are doing. They will keep saying this crap till the day comes where we fall off and they will say see we told you so.

Pete and John know what they are doing on defense, for sure. Unfortunately the same cannot always be said about the offense. The Carroll led Seahawks most definitely do not adhere to the McDaniels ethos there. In fact it is quite the opposite. A lot of times the Seahawks force a square peg into a round hole on that side of the ball. A good example of that would be Jimmy Graham.

All that being said, what McDaniels previous track record as HC suggests is that not even he adheres to that ethos on both sides of the ball. Billicheck is really unique in that regard, his scheme changes every year, sometimes even from game to game. Not many coaches have that kind of fluidity, and that is partially what makes him one of, if not the greatest coach of all time.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

• Spin Doctor wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:You missed the point, but thanks for playing! :sarcasm_off:

Pete and John know what they are doing on defense, for sure. Unfortunately the same cannot always be said about the offense. The Carroll led Seahawks most definitely do not adhere to the McDaniels ethos there. In fact it is quite the opposite. A lot of times the Seahawks force a square peg into a round hole on that side of the ball. A good example of that would be Jimmy Graham.

All that being said, what McDaniels previous track record as HC suggests is that not even he adheres to that ethos on both sides of the ball. Billicheck is really unique in that regard, his scheme changes every year, sometimes even from game to game. Not many coaches have that kind of fluidity, and that is partially what makes him one of, if not the greatest coach of all time.

McDaniels as HC, :lol: , that was ignonimous.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 9:26 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information