Bart Starr Passed Away

RiverDog

Reaction score
Although I wasn't a Packers fan, Starr was one of my childhood idols. I saw someone say that a good comparison for those of you that never saw him play would be Troy Aikman, and I tend to agree. Quarterbacking was a much different position back then. QB's called their own plays, not nearly as much passing, etc.

As a coach, he was a disaster, and a prime example how great players don't necessarily make great coaches.

R.I.P.

sc85sis

Reaction score
[youtube]oe0XChUkWgU[/youtube]

RIP, Mr. Starr. You were truly one of the great ones—on and off the field.

chris98251

Reaction score
The first Super Bowl Icon, RIP , outside the game the man was a very Humble Champion.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RiverDog":s556ot90 said:
Although I wasn't a Packers fan, Starr was one of my childhood idols. I saw someone say that a good comparison for those of you that never saw him play would be Troy Aikman, and I tend to agree. Quarterbacking was a much different position back then. QB's called their own plays, not nearly as much passing, etc.

As a coach, he was a disaster, and a prime example how great players don't necessarily make great coaches.

R.I.P.
Well said all the way around. The comparison with Aikman is spot on imo. One of my childhood athletic heroes as well (along with Sandy Koufax).
RIP Bart.

RiverDog

Reaction score
chris98251":50ax6pjs said:
The first Super Bowl Icon, RIP , outside the game the man was a very Humble Champion.

Starr was, indeed, a very humble man, and never tried to overshadow his teammates and would quite frequently go out of his way to minimize his contributions while highlighting those of his teammates.

But the guy had a set of balls. There was a story of how Lombardi once chewed Starr's ass out in front of the team. After the meeting was over and in private, Starr went to Lombardi and told him if he had an ass chewing coming to please do it in private as doing so in front of the team compromised his position as a team leader. Lombardi agreed and never again chewed out Starr in front of the team.

It's not every player that has the guts to confront a head coach as domineering and as volatile as Lombardi was and tell him he was wrong about something. It also says something about Lombardi as well.