QB controversy in 9ers land?

NINEster

Reaction score
Maulbert":1r39en23 said:
NINEster":1r39en23 said:
Maulbert":1r39en23 said:
NINEster":1r39en23 said:
Jimmy's ability to move the ball consistently is better than Wilson's. Was already proven by having the #1 ranking for points per drive in 2017, while Wilson was in the mid to upper 20s in that rank.....despite being #2 for TDs thrown that year.

So, I looked into this, and I'm assuming it came from this article:

https://www.lockedon49ers.com/sf-49...t-49ers-2017-points-per-drive-stat-breakdown/

So, I decided to compare a completely irrelevant set of numbers, just like you love to do.

In 2015, Seattle was 4-5, Marshawn Lynch was injured and on his way out, and everyone said we were dead in the water. What proceeded to happen, instead, was Russell Wilson put the team on his back and carried them into the playoffs. The Hawks went 6-1 down the stretch during which Seattle averaged 3.03 offensive points per drive, higher than your boy GQ in meaningless games in 2017. 3.03 was higher than the Panthers by almost half a point, who led the league.

By the way, Wilson's line during that run?

217 att. for 154 cmp., 1,906 yds., 24 TDs and only 1 Int., for a passer rating of 132.8.

A bit better than your boy's 178/120/1560/7/5/96.2.

Again, in meaningless games.

You really calculated the 3.03 yourself or did you find that link somewhere? I'd like to see which sites you used to get the drive info.

NINEster

Reaction score
toffee":deryf308 said:
knownone":deryf308 said:
NINEster":deryf308 said:
Marvin49":deryf308 said:
As for all the people here ripping Jimmy, its really quite funny. I don't think you guys even believe what your saying. You just really WANT it to be true. I have no idea how he's gonna work out, but outside of the injury, I've seen nothing from him whatsoever that tells me he won't be a very good NFL QB...if he can stay healthy.

Exactly, couldn't have been said any better.

"We want it to be true, so hence.........IT IS!!". :roll:

I guess it's a huge improvement over "Mr. One read".
Can't the same thing be said about your opinions of Jimmy? What makes your analysis any more accurate than ours?

I personally think Mullen's is a better QB, and if he is then he'd make you guys a tougher opponent because you'd have more cap space with Jimmy off the books. Why would we really want that scenario to be true? I hope Jimmy is a better QB because at least we're on an even playing field financially.

This!!!

You'd rather compete with the Niners on cap ? LMAO.

I know why Seahawk fans respect Mullens so much:

Mullens has as many wins against the Seahawks in his lone start as Kaepernick had in what is it, 8 games against the same team?

They should respect Alex Smith too since he hasn't lost to the Seahawks since Pete Carroll's first NFL game.

NINEster

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2u5yl401 said:
We still don't know if he is a better than average NFL QB, an average NFL QB, or a worse than average NFL QB, but the 9ers can cut him whenever they want with minimal to no cap ramifications, and have his rights for four years at an average NFL QB level.

Ultra conservative, but you may be on to something here.

We still don't know if George Kittle is the real deal either. Plenty of guys have record breaking seasons, doesn't guarantee anything.

Dee Ford only one really good season. Nick Bosa already hurt, no guarantee he is as good as his brother. Jerrick McKinnon, how good is he really? Mike McGlinchey, only had to play on the right side.

Armstead and Solomon Thomas, more expensive 1st round DLers. Means nothing that they might play in more advantageous scenarios this year.........I NEED TO SEE THE RESULTS FIRST.

Buckner a decent player, but only one year at 10+ sacks. I'm going to need at least another season to judge him.

Hell, teams got a year of Matt Breida on tape. No way will that UFA be an effective runner for us again. Thank god we got Tevin Coleman otherwise we would have zero running game.

There's so many unknowns with the 49ers, that a 2 win season with full health is not outside the realm of possibility. Kyle Shananan has to first have a winning season before he can even be considered a good coach in this league, talent and injuries be damned.

Joe Staley is the only proven player on the 49er roster. Only so much you can do with just a left tackle.

I'd say trade him to the Seahawks, but they already have an LT. So there's that.

Maulbert

Reaction score
NINEster":1ehrh9o9 said:
Maulbert":1ehrh9o9 said:

So, I looked into this, and I'm assuming it came from this article:

https://www.lockedon49ers.com/sf-49...t-49ers-2017-points-per-drive-stat-breakdown/

So, I decided to compare a completely irrelevant set of numbers, just like you love to do.

In 2015, Seattle was 4-5, Marshawn Lynch was injured and on his way out, and everyone said we were dead in the water. What proceeded to happen, instead, was Russell Wilson put the team on his back and carried them into the playoffs. The Hawks went 6-1 down the stretch during which Seattle averaged 3.03 offensive points per drive, higher than your boy GQ in meaningless games in 2017. 3.03 was higher than the Panthers by almost half a point, who led the league.

By the way, Wilson's line during that run?

217 att. for 154 cmp., 1,906 yds., 24 TDs and only 1 Int., for a passer rating of 132.8.

A bit better than your boy's 178/120/1560/7/5/96.2.

Again, in meaningless games.

You really calculated the 3.03 yourself or did you find that link somewhere? I'd like to see which sites you used to get the drive info.

Pro Football Reference. I added all points generated by offensive drives during the seven game stretch (no defensive scores) and divided it by their total offensive possessions. They scored 224 points off of 74 drives.

knownone

Reaction score
NINEster":25uyhr1r said:
toffee":25uyhr1r said:
knownone":25uyhr1r said:
NINEster":25uyhr1r said:

Can't the same thing be said about your opinions of Jimmy? What makes your analysis any more accurate than ours?

I personally think Mullen's is a better QB, and if he is then he'd make you guys a tougher opponent because you'd have more cap space with Jimmy off the books. Why would we really want that scenario to be true? I hope Jimmy is a better QB because at least we're on an even playing field financially.

This!!!

You'd rather compete with the Niners on cap ? LMAO.

I know why Seahawk fans respect Mullens so much:

Mullens has as many wins against the Seahawks in his lone start as Kaepernick had in what is it, 8 games against the same team?

They should respect Alex Smith too since he hasn't lost to the Seahawks since Pete Carroll's first NFL game.
That's not what I'm saying. Jimmy makes 27M/Year, Mullens makes 600K. If I had to choose I'd rather the 49ers stick with Jimmy because of his salary. An extra 26M a year can go along way in closing the gap between the two teams considering Russell is making 35M/Year. Jimmy G would have to be significantly better than Mullens (IMO) to close that value gap on the field.

I don't care about Mullen's beating us last year, we're good for at least one or two bad losses in the division. Neither of your QB's are a major cause for concern long term. I'm honestly more concerned with the kid in Arizona because of his ability to extend plays.

chris98251

Reaction score
So on paper S.F. has the worst QB situation in the division, Wilson, Goff, Arizona, then S.F.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
knownone":thamr2yq said:
NINEster":thamr2yq said:
Marvin49":thamr2yq said:
As for all the people here ripping Jimmy, its really quite funny. I don't think you guys even believe what your saying. You just really WANT it to be true. I have no idea how he's gonna work out, but outside of the injury, I've seen nothing from him whatsoever that tells me he won't be a very good NFL QB...if he can stay healthy.

Because Garoppolo has done physical feats that neither Flynn or Mullens have the ability to do. Referring specifically to his off-his-spot pure arm talent throws neither one has never made and will never make.

That kind of ability to finesse the ball is rare enough that it is perfectly reasonable to believe he will end up a quality starter in the league. There are really only two possible ways he won’t get there: (1) He really is injury prone or (2) He’ll never improve his defense reading and decision making.

He has a lot of out of the box traits you’d covet in a good qb, traits neither Mullens nor Flynn have: fast release, outstanding mid-range accuracy, anticipatory throwing, good enough arm strength, nimble feet in the pocket, the ability to make off-schedule plays on a regular basis.

His weaknesses, other than deep outside accuracy, are very reasonably explained as a lack of experienxe.

In short, any OBJECTIVE party would conclude, neglecting the injury concern, that it is more likely than not that he will be a quality starting qb.

knownone

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2qfuc3mj said:
knownone":2qfuc3mj said:
NINEster":2qfuc3mj said:
Marvin49":2qfuc3mj said:

Because Garoppolo has done physical feats that neither Flynn or Mullens have the ability to do. Referring specifically to his off-his-spot pure arm talent throws neither one has never made and will never make.

That kind of ability to finesse the ball is rare enough that it is perfectly reasonable to believe he will end up a quality starter in the league. There are really only two possible ways he won’t get there: (1) He really is injury prone or (2) He’ll never improve his defense reading and decision making.

He has a lot of out of the box traits you’d covet in a good qb, traits neither Mullens nor Flynn have: fast release, outstanding mid-range accuracy, anticipatory throwing, good enough arm strength, nimble feet in the pocket, the ability to make off-schedule plays on a regular basis.

His weaknesses, other than deep outside accuracy, are very reasonably explained as a lack of experienxe.

In short, any OBJECTIVE party would conclude, neglecting the injury concern, that it is more likely than not that he will be a quality starting qb.
Wait a second, are 49ers fans more objective than Seahawks fans with regards to the 49ers? That seems like a silly qualifier. I think any OBJECTIVE party would conclude that Jimmy has the highest upside of the 49ers QBs, but that's not really the question. The question is whose the better QB? Statistically they are damn near identical.

Arm talent has never been the sole determinant for QB success. Jimmy was a second round pick because he wasn't great at reading defenses, but he has all the physical tools to be successful. Typically, those guys get exposed as teams see a larger sample size of them although some of them do improve in the league. Mullen's on the other hand had every intangible you'd want coming out except overall size and arm strength. Mullen's (IMO) is Baker Mayfield with a lesser arm. His floor is significantly higher than Jimmy long term.

I went to school in the Bay Area, I root for the 49ers when they aren't playing the Hawks. I'm not trying to needlessly bash them for the sake of rivalry. If Jimmy is the guy, great. I personally like Mullens more.

Largent80

Reaction score
Outstanding midrange accuracy???...If you can't throw dumpoffs and slants then what are you?...Every NFL QB throws well on midrange passes. Some better than others, but he needs to get his long ball down to be regarded with the best QB's.

He has a LOT to prove if you ask me because he hasn't done much so far.

94Smith

Reaction score
I think the main thing that seperates Jimmy from Mullens is the speed of his release, ball velocity, and squeezing the ball between defenders in the 15 yard range. If we are talking deep ball accuracy, I didn't see that from Mullens last year either. I just rewatched the 49ers vs Vikings game from last year with Jimmy at the helm. Lots of drops by the recievers, the ball was where it was supposed to be, the pick 6 the receiver ran the wrong route, etc... The 49ers are fine with Jimmy at QB. I have no doubt he will be a top 12 talent in the NFL by the end of the year.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Honestly I really don't think you can make a comparison basing them on Numbers. You can make the number argument and compare Kap in his last year to Jimmy and say that Kap is as good. It just depends on the numbers you choose to look at.

For people who are all in on Jimmy, its simply about watching him play. Its about watching the way the offense moves when he's on the field. Its about having a chance to win in games they otherwise wouldn't have.

Its the release. Its the arm talent. Its finding the open guy. Its late game heroics.

Sometimes, you can just watch a guy and KNOW he has "IT". That's Jimmy. Its not just QBs. It was like watching Reuben Foster and Solomon Thomas in their rookie seasons. Foster had "IT" and Thomas didn't. Now Foster is an idiot and isn't on the team anymore, but you can't argue he wasn't a player when on the field. Thomas I think still has a chance now that they are moving him inside, but he isn't that "IT" guy.

Russell Wilson is. You could see it almost right away. Even as a 3rd round pick, there was an air about him. You KNEW he was GOING to be the guy.

Its the reason why stats don't tell an entire story. You have to watch a guy play and go way beyond the numbers.

Jimmy is still unproven. There is no reasonable argument to be made that he is. I won't try. However, when he's on the field, its electric. Has he made mistakes? Abso-freakin-lutely. Minnesota was probably his worst game as a pro. Still...even on THAT day, there were SOOOOOOO many missed opportunities with dropped passes, wrong routes run, etc that they were still in the game if not for those mistakes.

I mean on his first INT, Pettis wasn't where he was supposed to be on a slant because he threw in an extra juke at the line. Still a bad throw and on the QB. On the pick 6, the WR ran entirely the wrong route as he missed the hot read on the blitz, so Jimmy was throwing to a spot. Compounding the issue was that they had lost both of their RGs and rookie RT Mike McGlinchey in his first NFL game was playing RG for the first time since High School and blocked the wrong guy leaving a free rusher.

To make matters even worse, the play just prior was a long pass that Kittle dropped that would have been anything from a 40-50 yard gain to a TD depending on what he did after catching the ball. Pettis and Pierre Garcon also dropped passes in the endzone.

He also had one of his most impressive plays as a pro in that game (TD to Pettis). Point being, even in his "bad" games, you still see the potential.

Its just not a contest to me. I really like Mullins. Not so much with Beathard. Mullins has been a pleasant surprise, but its really not in the same league with Jimmy.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Feel like for Jimmy to excel, 9ers shouldn’t have Mullens breathing down his neck! Just to show confidence in GQ, it would be wise to cut Mullens during or after the camp.

Go Jimmy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marvin49

Reaction score
toffee":14dsqbdc said:
Feel like for Jimmy to excel, 9ers shouldn’t have Mullens breathing down his neck! Just to show confidence in GQ, it would be wise to cut Mullens during or after the camp.

Go Jimmy!

LOL.

Yeah. No. :D

Honestly I think the reason some Seahawks fans think Mullins is better is that outside of one garbage time series they've never faced Garoppolo and Mullins was the first Niners QB to beat them in some time.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Marvin49":h87j1hzi said:
toffee":h87j1hzi said:

Go Jimmy!

LOL.

Honestly I think the reason some Seahawks fans think Mullins is better is that outside of one garbage time series they've never faced Garoppolo and Mullins was the first Niners QB to beat them in some time.

The very reason Seahawks never had a remotely big name backup QB or spent any draft capital on QB since Wilson. The 9ers MuST cut Mullens, he has been that pebble in Jimmy’s shoes, just how the heck can Jimmy excel with pebbles in his shoes?

Cut Mullens.

Marvin49

Reaction score
toffee":2raec6xr said:
Marvin49":2raec6xr said:
toffee":2raec6xr said:

Go Jimmy!

LOL.

The very reason Seahawks never had a remotely big name backup QB or spent any draft capital on QB since Wilson. The 9ers MuST cut Mullens, he has been that pebble in Jimmy’s shoes, just how the heck can Jimmy excel with pebbles in his shoes?

Cut Mullens.

Nope. Joe Montana had his best seasons with Steve Young nipping at his heels. Mullens is a keeper...even if I routinely misspell his last name. LOL.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Marvin49":22k3wv3l said:
Sometimes, you can just watch a guy and KNOW he has "IT".

That's how it feels watching Russell Wilson, and yet there are knob gobblers on here that would claim he doesn't have "IT". The difference is, Russ has actually performed in meaningful situations. All I'm saying is GQ still has to prove it, and I remain unconvinced, not from a performance standpoint, but from a health one.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HawkGA":3768swkq said:
GQ is this generation's Scott Mitchell.
You are responsible for killing the niner’s troll’s dreams. I hope you are satisfied! :sarcasm_off: 8)