Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

QB controversy in 9ers land?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: QB controversy in 9ers land?
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:07 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    NINEster wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:From what I watched of the 49ers when Mullens was playing versus Grab a Ho the team played as a unit much more, Mullens has that it factor the rest of his team mates buy into. It becomes contagious. Small sample by what I watched but they seemed to have more heart.

Only Mullens has that it factor? LMAO.

Jimmy had more IT factor alone in his first snaps as a 49er moving the ball down decisively against the Seahawk defense and throwing that TD.

The top highlights from the Titans and Jags game included plays that Mullens has still not yet shown to do. He's a decent QB, but not on the same level.

What we are seeing here is classic "he's not really that good but let's pump him up to talk s*** about who we really want to knock down", in this case Mullens. Or maybe it's a way to rationalize an undrafted QB beating the Seahawks when it's been 5 years since that happened by 1st/2nd round Niner QBs.

Let me tell you guys something.......Niner teammates say things publicly about Jimmy they'd never say about Alex and Kap. The type of praise that is a little too risky if you don't really buy into it......or would come off fake, like if Jalen Ramsey said Bortles was a great QB....

Frank Gore looked traitorous giving Andrew Luck over the top praise, but at the end of the day players always "know". Gore is the all time consummate Niner of this millenium, would go to war for his ex Niner QBs still I'm sure, but never saw fit to praise them publicly the way he did Luck or the way George Kittle and Mike McGlinchey recently praise Jimmy G.

It's ok, ignore everything. Wilson is the only good QB in the division...... :roll:

Grab a Ho is Matt Cassel 2.0, will be forgotten soon enough and paid for a lot longer.

We'll see.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:17 pm
  • toffee wrote:
    Mullens played well last year, and Garappolo is made of glass. Only homers should be surprised. Seriously, people were talking shit about Seattle paying Russ $35 million a year, at least he's played at a high level for 7 years. Garappolo got $27.5 million a year after only 7 STARTS. He hasn't shown even the slightest durability, and he makes Tony Romo look like Brett Favre. I said it before, and I'll say it again: the 49ers will regret that contract.

According to the 'experts' on that video, Shannahan already peeping at other QBs to replace Garappolo, one would think Shanny knows the most of GQ's limitations. But trading of Garappolo was their GM Lynch's crowning achievement, Lynch is standing 120% behind Garappolo. I can see some sparkles if Garappolo's didn't have a breakout year. As a 12, that's fun time to see Shanny vs Lynch, 'you signed the wrong dude' vs 'you couldn't coach worth shyt".

Go Mullen lol, would love to sign Mullen as Russ's backup.

There was no "peeping". LOL. The entire conversation was conjecture with zero sourcing of any kind. It was the typical story you see when they are running out of stuff to talk about and want to raise a ruckus and get people talking about something.

Florio so much as admitted it when he said "people will lose their minds". That was the entire intent. Welcome to Skip Bayless school of journalism.

Now...is this year a big you? Of course it is. Niners can't have another top 5 pick next year. No question. Jimmy G though is the guy. They aren't looking at other options.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:43 am
  • NINEster wrote:BTW, in Alex Smith's 49er career he only had two seasons with 16 starts.........2006 and 2011.

2005 rookie, 2007 injured had surgery, 2008 missed the entire season.........2009 and 2010 benched in a few spots.

2013-2018 a lot better. Not many games missed.

I like subliminally that the anti-49er fanbase is implying that Jimmy's durability is the biggest question mark on him. Would you want him QBing the Niners or the indestructible Eli Manning right now?

Right.

This isn't an anti-49ers fanbase board, I'm not an anti-49er fan, I'm a Seahawks fan, and you're little more than a sad troll.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:18 am
  • Truth. This isn't 49ers faithful etc. I still laugh every time I hear the word Faithful when they stands are half empty. Unless of course, they are winning. :roll:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:14 am
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    Mullens played well last year, and Garappolo is made of glass. Only homers should be surprised. Seriously, people were talking shit about Seattle paying Russ $35 million a year, at least he's played at a high level for 7 years. Garappolo got $27.5 million a year after only 7 STARTS. He hasn't shown even the slightest durability, and he makes Tony Romo look like Brett Favre. I said it before, and I'll say it again: the 49ers will regret that contract.

According to the 'experts' on that video, Shannahan already peeping at other QBs to replace Garappolo, one would think Shanny knows the most of GQ's limitations. But trading of Garappolo was their GM Lynch's crowning achievement, Lynch is standing 120% behind Garappolo. I can see some sparkles if Garappolo's didn't have a breakout year. As a 12, that's fun time to see Shanny vs Lynch, 'you signed the wrong dude' vs 'you couldn't coach worth shyt".

Go Mullen lol, would love to sign Mullen as Russ's backup.

There was no "peeping". LOL. The entire conversation was conjecture with zero sourcing of any kind. It was the typical story you see when they are running out of stuff to talk about and want to raise a ruckus and get people talking about something.

Florio so much as admitted it when he said "people will lose their minds". That was the entire intent. Welcome to Skip Bayless school of journalism.

Now...is this year a big you? Of course it is. Niners can't have another top 5 pick next year. No question. Jimmy G though is the guy. They aren't looking at other options.
    having top picks is great for rebuilding, see Browns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:12 am
  • Largent80 wrote::rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So GLAD we have Russell Wilson, and have him for at least 5 years.

Sorry (not sorry) SF, but your suffering continues.

Perspective is an interesting thing. :mrgreen:

I'm glad ya'll got Wilson too for the long haul. :irishdrinkers:

As long as the Seahawks never quite replicate the 2013/2014 defense and pick up a real stud RB, I'll sleep well at night. Now that all of Carroll's USC players, peers, and recruits have long been drafted, it's going to be real hard to find the next Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor, etc. Lynch was a very lucky trade that will be hard to reproduce.

Seahawk fans never quite got the taste of what a 17 year dynasty looked like (like how it was in SF between '81-'98 with two coaches and two HoF QBs), so the perspective will never be the same as Niner fans. Wilson's postseason production the last few years has been subpar to put it politely. Niner fans would 90% want Wilson's head if he was our QB, and not GAF about his stats. I find the contrast, endearing. :lol:

Ask Patriots fans now if they could have Jimmy G or Wilson to succeed Brady, and an overwhelming portion will choose Jimmy.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:15 am
  • NINEster wrote:
    Largent80 wrote::rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

As long as the Seahawks never quite replicate the 2013/2014 defense and pick up a real stud RB, I'll sleep well at night. Now that all of Carroll's USC players, peers, and recruits have long been drafted, it's going to be real hard to find the next Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor, etc. Lynch was a very lucky trade that will be hard to reproduce.

Seahawk fans never quite got the taste of what a 17 year dynasty looked like (like how it was in SF between '81-'98 with two coaches and two HoF QBs), so the perspective will never be the same as Niner fans. Wilson's postseason production the last few years has been subpar to put it politely. Niner fans would 90% want Wilson's head if he was our QB, and not GAF about his stats. I find the contrast, endearing. :lol:

Ask Patriots fans now if they could have Jimmy G or Wilson to succeed Brady, and an overwhelming portion will choose Jimmy.

Yeah real pity that we have really only owned the NFC West for 20 years or so.

All that stuff you remember was before we came back to the NFC and you had a division mostly made up of Expansion teams and the Lowly Saints as well as a Broken Franchise in the Rams with the Death of Carroll Rosenbloom and the emergence of Georgia and the move to St Louis.

Kind of like the Cake Walk the Patriots get every season in their division.
    Last edited by chris98251 on Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:18 am
  • Maulbert wrote:
    NINEster wrote:BTW, in Alex Smith's 49er career he only had two seasons with 16 starts.........2006 and 2011.

2005 rookie, 2007 injured had surgery, 2008 missed the entire season.........2009 and 2010 benched in a few spots.

I like subliminally that the anti-49er fanbase is implying that Jimmy's durability is the biggest question mark on him. Would you want him QBing the Niners or the indestructible Eli Manning right now?

Right.

This isn't an anti-49ers fanbase board, I'm not an anti-49er fan, I'm a Seahawks fan, and you're little more than a sad troll.

Semantics. I could/should have said "non 49er fans".......

Now focus on the point at hand.

Let's rephrase:

If the 2017 Jimmy G is an accepted "elite QB" of the NFL........then a possible "return" to that with the current Niner roster, assuming good health will leave a lot of teams/fans shook.

The only thing Wilson does really well is throw his deep balls and make wild off the record plays. Wilson's skill sets for an alleged top QB are so polarizing from skill to skill compared to others in that group.

Jimmy's ability to move the ball consistently is better than Wilson's. Was already proven by having the #1 ranking for points per drive in 2017, while Wilson was in the mid to upper 20s in that rank.....despite being #2 for TDs thrown that year.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:20 am
  • NINEster wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    NINEster wrote:BTW, in Alex Smith's 49er career he only had two seasons with 16 starts.........2006 and 2011.

Right.

Let's rephrase:

If the 2017 Jimmy G is an accepted "elite QB" of the NFL........then a possible "return" to that with the current Niner roster, assuming good health will leave a lot of teams/fans shook.

The only thing Wilson does really well is throw his deep balls and make wild off the record plays. Wilson's skill sets for an alleged top QB are so polarizing from skill to skill compared to others in that group.

Jimmy's ability to move the ball consistently is better than Wilson's. Was already proven by having the #1 ranking for points per drive in 2017, while Wilson was in the mid to upper 20s in that rank.....despite being #2 for TDs thrown that year.

Lets talk about wins and 4th Quarter Comebacks......................
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:23 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    NINEster wrote:

Yeah real pity that we have really only owned the NFC West for 20 years or so.

The stadium was a great investment. Can't deny that.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:30 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    NINEster wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

Right.

Let's rephrase:

Lets talk about wins and 4th Quarter Comebacks......................

Sure, and let's talk about a defense that keeps the game close for Wilson to eventually find his way. Should we include the 2014 NFCC as the essence of the 4th quarter comeback?
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:56 am
  • Niner fans have been jealous of the Hawks having Wilson since he got here. It's a beautiful thing.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:46 am
  • NINEster wrote:

I want to say next level trolling, but this is just the same played out crap we had to tolerate 2012-2015. 5 Rusty Rings right? Before the salary cap? I guess you got one the year that the salary cap was implemented, so we're about even there. Unfortunately an entire generation removed from anything of note other than a Super Bowl loss and being a distant 2nd in division titles in the NFCW.

I couldn't care less what you've got to say about QBs, same goes for Pats fans who've been spoiled by all-time greats (and middle of the road QBs posting winning records when TB12 was injured). Not to put words in your mouth, but I'm sure you were beating the Kaepernick drum in regards to Kaep v. Wilson.

The league knows what Russ is, arguably a top 5 QB, but GQ has done virtually nothing in the league. At this point he'd basically have to perform at an elite level for a few years in a row to even be eligible to hold RW's jock.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:56 am
  • NINEster wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

Right.

Let's rephrase:

It's not semantics. NFL fandom does not revolve around the 49ers. I didn't become a Hawks fan because I hated the Niners and they were rivals. The Hawks were in the AFC West when I became a fan.

As for Jimmy G, calling him elite or better than Wilson just displays what a homer you are. No one but a Whiner fan could say that. In 2012, when Wilson, as a rookie, went silent assassin on the Patriots and Bears, I didn't go out and make claims that he was elite. You earn that status. Wilson has 196 TDs, 25,624 passing yards, and a career 100.3 rating. Jimmy G has missed more time as a backup than Wilson has in his career. Wilson is elite. GQ is a mannequin with a football helmet by comparison.

Jimmy G. Elite. What a #$%&ing joke. Troll.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:08 am
  • What has pretty boy ever done in this league other than win some meaningless games? I'll go ahead and wait...……
    Elite???? :roll:
    Russ is going to be a hall of famer and is already one of the best closers in the history of the NFL.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:08 pm
  • I think GQ banged some gross second rate pornstar, so he's got that going for him right?
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:24 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:I think GQ banged some gross second rate pornstar, so he's got that going for him right?
    Nah, she was a super adult film star.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:26 pm
  • Well, this thread has degraded into just sh*t talking. Sigh.

I'll just make a few points...

1) I am not jealous that you guys have Russell Wilson. I respect the guy and his ability a great deal, but I'm not exactly a fan.

2) Its similar to Sherman. Dude is great, but I wasn't like "why can't the Niner have that guy". Of course, twist of fate, he ended up in SF and to be real, not sure I'll ever get used to that.

3) The sh*t talking is actually pretty boring until the Niners actually do something. Seahawks have been better over the recent long haul. No use denying that. That won't always be the case though.

4) As for original topic, as I said, its Jimmy Gs team. He's not going anywhere. He's not on any hotseat. The attached video is pure conjecture from people who want to make a story where there isn't one.

As for all the people here ripping Jimmy, its really quite funny. I don't think you guys even believe what your saying. You just really WANT it to be true. I have no idea how he's gonna work out, but outside of the injury, I've seen nothing from him whatsoever that tells me he won't be a very good NFL QB...if he can stay healthy.

Injuries are funny things. A guy gets a few in a short time and he's labelled injury prone. Its a fair criticism and sometimes those guys are simply too fragile to play the game.

Sometimes tho its just a damn fluke. Frank Gore is a great example of that. I got no idea which of those examples is representative of Jimmy, but neither does anyone else here.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:58 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:Well, this thread has degraded into just sh*t talking. Sigh.

That tends to happen when NINEster starts spouting his usual round of bullshit. I assure you, the shit talk is directed at the troll. While I certainly think you have a heaping helping of homerism with a side of spin, you're not a troll, and you at least talk with legit knowledge to back it up. Others around here just like to light a metaphorical bag of shit on fire hoping to watch us try to stamp it out.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:06 am
  • Marvin, no ill will, trash talking or anything of the sort headed your way. I actually really like GQ and was impressed with what he did early last year, but he's gotta stay healthy and prove what he can do over a season or two. I'm worried about what the next 9ers v. Seahawks game is going look like after you guys beat us with Mullens, as weird as that game was :pukeface:
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:07 am
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:Well, this thread has degraded into just sh*t talking. Sigh.

That tends to happen when NINEster starts spouting his usual round of bullshit. I assure you, the shit talk is directed at the troll. While I certainly think you have a heaping helping of homerism with a side of spin, you're not a troll, and you at least talk with legit knowledge to back it up. Others around here just like to light a metaphorical bag of shit on fire hoping to watch us try to stamp it out.

Real trolls are the ones who go to the Zone and just make remarks and walk away. Never get into it on an analytical level.

I make points that are rarely ever debated straight up on here. Instead a totally new argument is made while calling me a troll.

What do you do for a living Maulbert?
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:12 am
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    As for all the people here ripping Jimmy, its really quite funny. I don't think you guys even believe what your saying. You just really WANT it to be true. I have no idea how he's gonna work out, but outside of the injury, I've seen nothing from him whatsoever that tells me he won't be a very good NFL QB...if he can stay healthy.

Exactly, couldn't have been said any better.

"We want it to be true, so hence.........IT IS!!". :roll:

I guess it's a huge improvement over "Mr. One read".
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:28 pm
  • Shoot, it's obvious JG has talent. But to pay that kind of money and crown him the next great QB is just way too premature. If he actually wins a big game, that MEANS SOMETHING I'll gladly give him credit.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:29 pm
  • NINEster wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:Well, this thread has degraded into just sh*t talking. Sigh.

Real trolls are the ones who go to the Zone and just make remarks and walk away. Never get into it on an analytical level.

I make points that are rarely ever debated straight up on here. Instead a totally new argument is made while calling me a troll.

What do you do for a living Maulbert?

None of your business, troll.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:48 pm
  • NINEster wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:

Can't the same thing be said about your opinions of Jimmy? What makes your analysis any more accurate than ours?

I personally think Mullen's is a better QB, and if he is then he'd make you guys a tougher opponent because you'd have more cap space with Jimmy off the books. Why would we really want that scenario to be true? I hope Jimmy is a better QB because at least we're on an even playing field financially.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:43 pm
  • NINEster wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    NINEster wrote:Jimmy's ability to move the ball consistently is better than Wilson's. Was already proven by having the #1 ranking for points per drive in 2017, while Wilson was in the mid to upper 20s in that rank.....despite being #2 for TDs thrown that year.

So, I looked into this, and I'm assuming it came from this article:

https://www.lockedon49ers.com/sf-49ers/jimmy-garoppolo-effect-49ers-2017-points-per-drive-stat-breakdown/

So, I decided to compare a completely irrelevant set of numbers, just like you love to do.

In 2015, Seattle was 4-5, Marshawn Lynch was injured and on his way out, and everyone said we were dead in the water. What proceeded to happen, instead, was Russell Wilson put the team on his back and carried them into the playoffs. The Hawks went 6-1 down the stretch during which Seattle averaged 3.03 offensive points per drive, higher than your boy GQ in meaningless games in 2017. 3.03 was higher than the Panthers by almost half a point, who led the league.

By the way, Wilson's line during that run?

217 att. for 154 cmp., 1,906 yds., 24 TDs and only 1 Int., for a passer rating of 132.8.

A bit better than your boy's 178/120/1560/7/5/96.2.

Again, in meaningless games.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:01 pm
  • knownone wrote:
    NINEster wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:

Can't the same thing be said about your opinions of Jimmy? What makes your analysis any more accurate than ours?

I personally think Mullen's is a better QB, and if he is then he'd make you guys a tougher opponent because you'd have more cap space with Jimmy off the books. Why would we really want that scenario to be true? I hope Jimmy is a better QB because at least we're on an even playing field financially.

This!!!
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:04 pm
  • NINEster wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:

GQ it's, no issues with me. Come to think of it, why not set Mullens free so GQ didn't have to look behind his back all the time?
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:09 am
  • NINEster wrote:The only thing Wilson does really well is throw his deep balls and make wild off the record plays. Wilson's skill sets for an alleged top QB are so polarizing from skill to skill compared to others in that group.

First off, Jimmy doesn't have a large enough body of work to be comparing him to anyone. He's started just 8 games for you guys and hasn't come close to playing even half a season. He has yet to play the same team twice. His game log is so skimpy that defenses don't have enough information on him to game plan against him.

Secondly, although I'm the first one to admit that Wilson has his warts, he does a lot more than throw a good deep ball and make wild, off the record plays. He's been a starting QB ever since he entered the league 6 years ago, hasn't missed a game, has a ring and two conference championships, a career 3 to 1 TD/INT ratio, and a 64% completion percentage, all without any big time Julio Jones/Megatron type receivers. In 6 seasons, his teams have never had a losing record and missed the playoffs just once. There's not too many pundits that don't have Wilson ranked in the top 5 active QB's in the league.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:27 am
  • Three things:

(1) Agreed with Riverdog that JG hasn't played enough to really make a reasonable claim about where he's at in the imaginary pecking order. There's things that are pretty stable that we know he's good at, and there's areas where we still have a ton of question marks about where he might struggle, but adding all that together he could be anywhere from the best to one of the worst starting QBs in the league.

(2) Anyone trying to hype Mullens over him is delusional or just simply doesn't have any idea what they're talking about. Both of them have small sample sizes, but Mullens' ceiling is as a high-end backup/short-term bottom-end starter, and as long as he can make it through a season that's JG's floor. You don't need a large sample to make this evaluation. JG has a much quicker release, more arm talent, and moves better in the pocket. Mullens doesn't have the arm talent to throw reliably outside the numbers, nor the zip on his passes to fit balls into tighter windows. I'm glad he's on the team and I think he beats out Beathard for the backup job, but he is who he is.

(3) The discussion about JG's contract in 2019 is now much different than it was in 2018. The 9ers dumped all of his guaranteed money into last year, and also front loaded the hell out of the contract as much as they could (they tried to do even more, but apparently there's some rule in CBA that limits this).

So, JG got paid 37 million to be injured all last year, and that sucks, but it happened. They literally didn't have anyone else to give that money to (why they dumped it into year one for him) and I'm not Jed York so I'm completely indifferent to if they pad him what they did last year or paid him a regular APY for that year. Long story short, last year is a sunk cost. It's gone.

Where we stand now is that the 49ers essentially have four years of team options to pay JG a salary that equates to about an average starting QB (#14 in the NFL next year).

We still don't know if he is a better than average NFL QB, an average NFL QB, or a worse than average NFL QB, but the 9ers can cut him whenever they want with minimal to no cap ramifications, and have his rights for four years at an average NFL QB level.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:16 am
  • Maulbert wrote:
    NINEster wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    NINEster wrote:Jimmy's ability to move the ball consistently is better than Wilson's. Was already proven by having the #1 ranking for points per drive in 2017, while Wilson was in the mid to upper 20s in that rank.....despite being #2 for TDs thrown that year.

https://www.lockedon49ers.com/sf-49ers/jimmy-garoppolo-effect-49ers-2017-points-per-drive-stat-breakdown/

So, I decided to compare a completely irrelevant set of numbers, just like you love to do.

In 2015, Seattle was 4-5, Marshawn Lynch was injured and on his way out, and everyone said we were dead in the water. What proceeded to happen, instead, was Russell Wilson put the team on his back and carried them into the playoffs. The Hawks went 6-1 down the stretch during which Seattle averaged 3.03 offensive points per drive, higher than your boy GQ in meaningless games in 2017. 3.03 was higher than the Panthers by almost half a point, who led the league.

217 att. for 154 cmp., 1,906 yds., 24 TDs and only 1 Int., for a passer rating of 132.8.

You really calculated the 3.03 yourself or did you find that link somewhere? I'd like to see which sites you used to get the drive info.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:28 am
  • toffee wrote:
    knownone wrote:
    NINEster wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:

This!!!

You'd rather compete with the Niners on cap ? LMAO.

I know why Seahawk fans respect Mullens so much:

Mullens has as many wins against the Seahawks in his lone start as Kaepernick had in what is it, 8 games against the same team?

They should respect Alex Smith too since he hasn't lost to the Seahawks since Pete Carroll's first NFL game.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:42 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:
    We still don't know if he is a better than average NFL QB, an average NFL QB, or a worse than average NFL QB, but the 9ers can cut him whenever they want with minimal to no cap ramifications, and have his rights for four years at an average NFL QB level.

Ultra conservative, but you may be on to something here.

We still don't know if George Kittle is the real deal either. Plenty of guys have record breaking seasons, doesn't guarantee anything.

Dee Ford only one really good season. Nick Bosa already hurt, no guarantee he is as good as his brother. Jerrick McKinnon, how good is he really? Mike McGlinchey, only had to play on the right side.

Armstead and Solomon Thomas, more expensive 1st round DLers. Means nothing that they might play in more advantageous scenarios this year.........I NEED TO SEE THE RESULTS FIRST.

Buckner a decent player, but only one year at 10+ sacks. I'm going to need at least another season to judge him.

Hell, teams got a year of Matt Breida on tape. No way will that UFA be an effective runner for us again. Thank god we got Tevin Coleman otherwise we would have zero running game.

There's so many unknowns with the 49ers, that a 2 win season with full health is not outside the realm of possibility. Kyle Shananan has to first have a winning season before he can even be considered a good coach in this league, talent and injuries be damned.

Joe Staley is the only proven player on the 49er roster. Only so much you can do with just a left tackle.

I'd say trade him to the Seahawks, but they already have an LT. So there's that.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:53 am
  • NINEster wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    NINEster wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

You really calculated the 3.03 yourself or did you find that link somewhere? I'd like to see which sites you used to get the drive info.

Pro Football Reference. I added all points generated by offensive drives during the seven game stretch (no defensive scores) and divided it by their total offensive possessions. They scored 224 points off of 74 drives.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:52 pm
  • NINEster wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    knownone wrote:
    NINEster wrote:

This!!!

You'd rather compete with the Niners on cap ? LMAO.

I know why Seahawk fans respect Mullens so much:

Mullens has as many wins against the Seahawks in his lone start as Kaepernick had in what is it, 8 games against the same team?

They should respect Alex Smith too since he hasn't lost to the Seahawks since Pete Carroll's first NFL game.

That's not what I'm saying. Jimmy makes 27M/Year, Mullens makes 600K. If I had to choose I'd rather the 49ers stick with Jimmy because of his salary. An extra 26M a year can go along way in closing the gap between the two teams considering Russell is making 35M/Year. Jimmy G would have to be significantly better than Mullens (IMO) to close that value gap on the field.

I don't care about Mullen's beating us last year, we're good for at least one or two bad losses in the division. Neither of your QB's are a major cause for concern long term. I'm honestly more concerned with the kid in Arizona because of his ability to extend plays.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:47 pm
  • So on paper S.F. has the worst QB situation in the division, Wilson, Goff, Arizona, then S.F.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:21 am
  • Maybe if he tears an ACL again this year, it'll at least have been from getting hit.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:13 am
  • knownone wrote:
    NINEster wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:

Because Garoppolo has done physical feats that neither Flynn or Mullens have the ability to do. Referring specifically to his off-his-spot pure arm talent throws neither one has never made and will never make.

That kind of ability to finesse the ball is rare enough that it is perfectly reasonable to believe he will end up a quality starter in the league. There are really only two possible ways he won’t get there: (1) He really is injury prone or (2) He’ll never improve his defense reading and decision making.

He has a lot of out of the box traits you’d covet in a good qb, traits neither Mullens nor Flynn have: fast release, outstanding mid-range accuracy, anticipatory throwing, good enough arm strength, nimble feet in the pocket, the ability to make off-schedule plays on a regular basis.

His weaknesses, other than deep outside accuracy, are very reasonably explained as a lack of experienxe.

In short, any OBJECTIVE party would conclude, neglecting the injury concern, that it is more likely than not that he will be a quality starting qb.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:09 pm
  • 5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    knownone wrote:
    NINEster wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:

Because Garoppolo has done physical feats that neither Flynn or Mullens have the ability to do. Referring specifically to his off-his-spot pure arm talent throws neither one has never made and will never make.

That kind of ability to finesse the ball is rare enough that it is perfectly reasonable to believe he will end up a quality starter in the league. There are really only two possible ways he won’t get there: (1) He really is injury prone or (2) He’ll never improve his defense reading and decision making.

He has a lot of out of the box traits you’d covet in a good qb, traits neither Mullens nor Flynn have: fast release, outstanding mid-range accuracy, anticipatory throwing, good enough arm strength, nimble feet in the pocket, the ability to make off-schedule plays on a regular basis.

His weaknesses, other than deep outside accuracy, are very reasonably explained as a lack of experienxe.

In short, any OBJECTIVE party would conclude, neglecting the injury concern, that it is more likely than not that he will be a quality starting qb.

Wait a second, are 49ers fans more objective than Seahawks fans with regards to the 49ers? That seems like a silly qualifier. I think any OBJECTIVE party would conclude that Jimmy has the highest upside of the 49ers QBs, but that's not really the question. The question is whose the better QB? Statistically they are damn near identical.

Arm talent has never been the sole determinant for QB success. Jimmy was a second round pick because he wasn't great at reading defenses, but he has all the physical tools to be successful. Typically, those guys get exposed as teams see a larger sample size of them although some of them do improve in the league. Mullen's on the other hand had every intangible you'd want coming out except overall size and arm strength. Mullen's (IMO) is Baker Mayfield with a lesser arm. His floor is significantly higher than Jimmy long term.

I went to school in the Bay Area, I root for the 49ers when they aren't playing the Hawks. I'm not trying to needlessly bash them for the sake of rivalry. If Jimmy is the guy, great. I personally like Mullens more.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:11 am
  • Outstanding midrange accuracy???...If you can't throw dumpoffs and slants then what are you?...Every NFL QB throws well on midrange passes. Some better than others, but he needs to get his long ball down to be regarded with the best QB's.

He has a LOT to prove if you ask me because he hasn't done much so far.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:20 am
  • I think the main thing that seperates Jimmy from Mullens is the speed of his release, ball velocity, and squeezing the ball between defenders in the 15 yard range. If we are talking deep ball accuracy, I didn't see that from Mullens last year either. I just rewatched the 49ers vs Vikings game from last year with Jimmy at the helm. Lots of drops by the recievers, the ball was where it was supposed to be, the pick 6 the receiver ran the wrong route, etc... The 49ers are fine with Jimmy at QB. I have no doubt he will be a top 12 talent in the NFL by the end of the year.
    94Smith
    NET Rookie

Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:11 pm
  • Honestly I really don't think you can make a comparison basing them on Numbers. You can make the number argument and compare Kap in his last year to Jimmy and say that Kap is as good. It just depends on the numbers you choose to look at.

For people who are all in on Jimmy, its simply about watching him play. Its about watching the way the offense moves when he's on the field. Its about having a chance to win in games they otherwise wouldn't have.

Its the release. Its the arm talent. Its finding the open guy. Its late game heroics.

Sometimes, you can just watch a guy and KNOW he has "IT". That's Jimmy. Its not just QBs. It was like watching Reuben Foster and Solomon Thomas in their rookie seasons. Foster had "IT" and Thomas didn't. Now Foster is an idiot and isn't on the team anymore, but you can't argue he wasn't a player when on the field. Thomas I think still has a chance now that they are moving him inside, but he isn't that "IT" guy.

Russell Wilson is. You could see it almost right away. Even as a 3rd round pick, there was an air about him. You KNEW he was GOING to be the guy.

Its the reason why stats don't tell an entire story. You have to watch a guy play and go way beyond the numbers.

Jimmy is still unproven. There is no reasonable argument to be made that he is. I won't try. However, when he's on the field, its electric. Has he made mistakes? Abso-freakin-lutely. Minnesota was probably his worst game as a pro. Still...even on THAT day, there were SOOOOOOO many missed opportunities with dropped passes, wrong routes run, etc that they were still in the game if not for those mistakes.

I mean on his first INT, Pettis wasn't where he was supposed to be on a slant because he threw in an extra juke at the line. Still a bad throw and on the QB. On the pick 6, the WR ran entirely the wrong route as he missed the hot read on the blitz, so Jimmy was throwing to a spot. Compounding the issue was that they had lost both of their RGs and rookie RT Mike McGlinchey in his first NFL game was playing RG for the first time since High School and blocked the wrong guy leaving a free rusher.

To make matters even worse, the play just prior was a long pass that Kittle dropped that would have been anything from a 40-50 yard gain to a TD depending on what he did after catching the ball. Pettis and Pierre Garcon also dropped passes in the endzone.

He also had one of his most impressive plays as a pro in that game (TD to Pettis). Point being, even in his "bad" games, you still see the potential.

Its just not a contest to me. I really like Mullins. Not so much with Beathard. Mullins has been a pleasant surprise, but its really not in the same league with Jimmy.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:52 pm
  • I'm Jimmy.... :lol:
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:06 pm
  • Feel like for Jimmy to excel, 9ers shouldn’t have Mullens breathing down his neck! Just to show confidence in GQ, it would be wise to cut Mullens during or after the camp.

Go Jimmy!

toffee
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:23 pm
  • toffee wrote:Feel like for Jimmy to excel, 9ers shouldn’t have Mullens breathing down his neck! Just to show confidence in GQ, it would be wise to cut Mullens during or after the camp.

Go Jimmy!

LOL.

Yeah. No. :D

Honestly I think the reason some Seahawks fans think Mullins is better is that outside of one garbage time series they've never faced Garoppolo and Mullins was the first Niners QB to beat them in some time.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:29 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    toffee wrote:Feel like for Jimmy to excel, 9ers shouldn’t have Mullens breathing down his neck! Just to show confidence in GQ, it would be wise to cut Mullens during or after the camp.

Go Jimmy!

LOL.

Honestly I think the reason some Seahawks fans think Mullins is better is that outside of one garbage time series they've never faced Garoppolo and Mullins was the first Niners QB to beat them in some time.

The very reason Seahawks never had a remotely big name backup QB or spent any draft capital on QB since Wilson. The 9ers MuST cut Mullens, he has been that pebble in Jimmy’s shoes, just how the heck can Jimmy excel with pebbles in his shoes?

Cut Mullens.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:33 pm
  • toffee wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    toffee wrote:Feel like for Jimmy to excel, 9ers shouldn’t have Mullens breathing down his neck! Just to show confidence in GQ, it would be wise to cut Mullens during or after the camp.

Go Jimmy!

LOL.

The very reason Seahawks never had a remotely big name backup QB or spent any draft capital on QB since Wilson. The 9ers MuST cut Mullens, he has been that pebble in Jimmy’s shoes, just how the heck can Jimmy excel with pebbles in his shoes?

Cut Mullens.

Nope. Joe Montana had his best seasons with Steve Young nipping at his heels. Mullens is a keeper...even if I routinely misspell his last name. LOL.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:29 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:Sometimes, you can just watch a guy and KNOW he has "IT".

That's how it feels watching Russell Wilson, and yet there are knob gobblers on here that would claim he doesn't have "IT". The difference is, Russ has actually performed in meaningful situations. All I'm saying is GQ still has to prove it, and I remain unconvinced, not from a performance standpoint, but from a health one.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:37 pm
  • GQ is this generation's Scott Mitchell.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:43 am
  • HawkGA wrote:GQ is this generation's Scott Mitchell.

You are responsible for killing the niner’s troll’s dreams. I hope you are satisfied! :sarcasm_off: 8)
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:21 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information