Cards are making Sean McVay look like a genius again.

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • They're lucky they're not down 21-0 already.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• And the Rams/Seahawks game next week is more important to the Rams for that last playoff spot if the Vikings lose to Seattle tomorrow.

The Rams are not out yet.
    Mizak
    NET Starter

• I heard this morning that Murray has a bad hammy. If he is lacking mobility he'll be a sitting duck with that o-line.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Mizak wrote:And the Rams/Seahawks game next week is more important to the Rams for that last playoff spot if the Vikings lose to Seattle tomorrow.

They play the 9ers and Hawks again and the ever inconsistent but grudgingly admittedly talented Cowboys. They ain't winning all of those. They're done.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Anyone else think the Rams are taking their frustrations vs. the Ravens out on the Cards?
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Rams only hope for playoffs is winning several games they likely will not be favored in and a major collapse by the Viqueens.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Mizak wrote:And the Rams/Seahawks game next week is more important to the Rams for that last playoff spot if the Vikings lose to Seattle tomorrow.

I too want to count out the Rams.

But if the unthinkable happens and Seattle loses tomorrow AND next Sunday in LA, suddenly the Rams are sitting just a game back of us with 3 three to play, with the ability to snag the tiebreaker over us.

I will feel alot better with a win tomrrow night :)
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

• Never count out a division opponent, they as we do always have an axe to grind that can offset win loss records.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Hawkpower wrote:
    Mizak wrote:And the Rams/Seahawks game next week is more important to the Rams for that last playoff spot if the Vikings lose to Seattle tomorrow.

But if the unthinkable happens and Seattle loses tomorrow AND next Sunday in LA, suddenly the Rams are sitting just a game back of us with 3 three to play, with the ability to snag the tiebreaker over us.

I don't think we can get the tiebreaker against Seattle.

This season has made me aware of something that I previously had not been: even for a wildcard spot, division record is one of the first tiebreakers for teams (if they are in the same division).

This means Seattle would have to lose at home to either Arizona or the Niners.

So let's assume the Rams do this:

Seattle - win
    Cowboys - win
    Niners - win
    Cardinals - win

This is putting aside that I don't see how we beat the Niners in SF for a minute.

We'd be 11-5 with a 4-2 division record.

We would need Seattle to:

Vikings - loss
    Rams - loss
    Panthers - win
    Cardinals - win
    Niners - loss

This would put Seattle at 11-5 with a 4-2 division record.

The next tiebreaker is common games:

Steelers
    Browns
    Bengals
    Ravens
    Saints
    Falcons
    Bucs
    Panthers
    Cardinals
    Cardinals
    Niners
    Niners

In the above games, the Rams would be 8-4

Seahawks would be 9-3

Common games remaining are Cardinals and Niners for both teams, Panthers for the Seahawks - basically this guarantees that if the Rams and Seahawks finish with the same record, the Seahawks win the tiebreaker. Really unfortunate because one more tiebreaker down is conference record where we would have Seattle beat. Our only shot is to both win out (unlikely) AND have Seattle lose to either Carolina or Arizona (equally unlikely) so that we finish with a better record.

So - to summarize - we need, NEED the Seahawks to win tonight. Because the opposite of this is true for the Rams/Vikings:

Assuming we do this:

Seahawks - W
    Cowboys - W
    Niners - L
    Cardinals - W

We would need the Vikings to do something like this:

Seahawks - L
    Lions - W
    Chargers - L
    Packers - L
    Bears - W

They would also go 10-6 - the Chargers game is on the road, and while the Chargers aren't a very good team, they could beat the Vikings there ala their beatdown of Green Bay. The Packers game is at home, but you never know. Another option to get there is just having the Vikings lose two games OR having the Packers lose two games and have the Rams winning out. Either way this would work out well for the Rams because we would have a better conference record than Green Bay, and with Minnesota it would go to common games:

Bears, Seahawks, Cowboys, Falcons

Under the above scenario, we would both be 4-1 in games against these teams. After that it would go strength of victory where the Rams would have the edge.

But - all of this is incredibly unlikely and while we looked good yesterday, can't assume that will keep going. Have to hope Seattle wins tonight and then that we can beat them on Sunday, and then go from there.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

• Ramfan128 wrote:
    Hawkpower wrote:
    Mizak wrote:And the Rams/Seahawks game next week is more important to the Rams for that last playoff spot if the Vikings lose to Seattle tomorrow.

I don't think we can get the tiebreaker against Seattle.

This season has made me aware of something that I previously had not been: even for a wildcard spot, division record is one of the first tiebreakers for teams (if they are in the same division).

This means Seattle would have to lose at home to either Arizona or the Niners.

So let's assume the Rams do this:

Seattle - win
    Cowboys - win
    Niners - win
    Cardinals - win

This is putting aside that I don't see how we beat the Niners in SF for a minute.

We'd be 11-5 with a 4-2 division record.

We would need Seattle to:

Vikings - loss
    Rams - loss
    Panthers - win
    Cardinals - win
    Niners - loss

This would put Seattle at 11-5 with a 4-2 division record.

The next tiebreaker is common games:

Steelers
    Browns
    Bengals
    Ravens
    Saints
    Falcons
    Bucs
    Panthers
    Cardinals
    Cardinals
    Niners
    Niners

In the above games, the Rams would be 8-4

Seahawks would be 9-3

Common games remaining are Cardinals and Niners for both teams, Panthers for the Seahawks - basically this guarantees that if the Rams and Seahawks finish with the same record, the Seahawks win the tiebreaker. Really unfortunate because one more tiebreaker down is conference record where we would have Seattle beat. Our only shot is to both win out (unlikely) AND have Seattle lose to either Carolina or Arizona (equally unlikely) so that we finish with a better record.

So - to summarize - we need, NEED the Seahawks to win tonight. Because the opposite of this is true for the Rams/Vikings:

Assuming we do this:

Seahawks - W
    Cowboys - W
    Niners - L
    Cardinals - W

We would need the Vikings to do something like this:

Seahawks - L
    Lions - W
    Chargers - L
    Packers - L
    Bears - W

They would also go 10-6 - the Chargers game is on the road, and while the Chargers aren't a very good team, they could beat the Vikings there ala their beatdown of Green Bay. The Packers game is at home, but you never know. Another option to get there is just having the Vikings lose two games OR having the Packers lose two games and have the Rams winning out. Either way this would work out well for the Rams because we would have a better conference record than Green Bay, and with Minnesota it would go to common games:

Bears, Seahawks, Cowboys, Falcons

Under the above scenario, we would both be 4-1 in games against these teams. After that it would go strength of victory where the Rams would have the edge.

But - all of this is incredibly unlikely and while we looked good yesterday, can't assume that will keep going. Have to hope Seattle wins tonight and then that we can beat them on Sunday, and then go from there.

This is a good breakdown, thanks.

Regarding the divisional tiebreaker, yes I guess you would need Seattle to drop all 3 of their divisional games in route to the 11-5 tie in order to beat us out in that scenario.

So to your point, its possible for Seattle to lose out on a wildcard spot to the Rams at 11-5, but unlikely. A 10-6 tie (with the Rams sweeping NFC west games) brings more possibilities but the Vikings are the more realistic target (for the Rams) for sure.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

• This is the Rams last breath, if the Hawks can beat them they are wrekd for years to come and they know it.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• Fade wrote:This is the Rams last breath, if the Hawks can beat them they are wrekd for years to come and they know it.

Of the remaining 3 division games for the Seahawks, do you see them going 3-0 or dropping a game?
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

• NINEster wrote:
    Fade wrote:This is the Rams last breath, if the Hawks can beat them they are wrekd for years to come and they know it.

Of the remaining 3 division games for the Seahawks, do you see them going 3-0 or dropping a game?

They're only team in the division with a shot to go 6-0. I'll take that.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:Anyone else think the Rams are taking their frustrations vs. the Ravens out on the Cards?

...I can only hope the Niners do the same against the Saints.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:Anyone else think the Rams are taking their frustrations vs. the Ravens out on the Cards?

Except the 49ers played well enough to beat Baltimore. The Rams were taken to the woodshed.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:Anyone else think the Rams are taking their frustrations vs. the Ravens out on the Cards?

Except the 49ers played well enough to beat Baltimore. The Rams were taken to the woodshed.

True.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Ramfan128..Nice breakdown and you are the first Ram fan I have seen
    in weeks.
    Please come by more often so we can get a better insight to your team
    and your thoughts..
    You see all the 49er campers?I'm kind of tired of reading about their team
    with all due respect lol.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:Ramfan128..Nice breakdown and you are the first Ram fan I have seen
    in weeks.
    and your thoughts..

I'd be offended but I honestly can't blame you.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:Ramfan128..Nice breakdown and you are the first Ram fan I have seen
    in weeks.
    and your thoughts..

I don't think it's you he's talking about. You're not a camper, you were here during Chip Kelly.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:Ramfan128..Nice breakdown and you are the first Ram fan I have seen
    in weeks.
    and your thoughts..

I don't think it's you he's talking about. You're not a camper, you were here during Chip Kelly.

Legit LOL.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:Ramfan128..Nice breakdown and you are the first Ram fan I have seen
    in weeks.
    and your thoughts..

Thanks. I feel like I'm mostly forgotten on this board when talking about opposing fans, but I probably don't post enough. Life has been busy which has coincided nicely with trying to spend less focus on football. I've been a diehard Rams fan all my life and through my dad, so not bandwagon - but watching the Rams lose live to the Steelers and then get destroyed by the Ravens has not exactly made me want to run to the talk forums. Casual fans like to pile on the Rams because of the attention we got last year, so it was easier for me to take some time.

Thanks to Seattle winning last night we're still alive, but need Minnesota to drop some games still. Seattle has the opportunity to close the door on this season for the Rams, and should be a relatively stress free game for you guys as long as the Saints take care of business Sunday.

My new favorite pipe dream to get into the playoffs has the Niners missing out altogether.

Rams win out, Niners lose to the Saints, Rams and Seahawks. We win tiebreaker because of division record. Vikings finish better and Packers win the NFC North.

It's all farfetched at this point.

BUT - I feel like we should beat Seattle Sunday, despite the magical season the Hawks are having.

And if we don't, and our season ends - many will proclaim the Rams "done". I'm not worried about that. Still like the core, save for Gurley, but we can get out of his contract after next season. Goff has to improve, but for my sanity I have to believe if we rebuild the OL, he will.

The defense is awesome, despite the beatdown at the hands of Lamar Jackson.

We have a few rookies starting on the OL now that have made it better, so if we can get a decent FA, that's really the only weakness that we can't address internally going into next year. Draft would be for depth on defense. Regardless of what happens the rest of this year, I expect the Rams to win the NFC West next year.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

• After next Sunday night game McVay will be on the phone saying O TAY. Rams are going down HARD on SNF in their own house.

Here he is practicing.....Image
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Marvin49 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    in weeks.
    and your thoughts..

Legit LOL.

Well, obviously you've been here longer than that, but that period thinned the 49ers fans around here.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:12 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information