Sherman blames 49ers D, not Jimmy G

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Sherm’s smart. Any blame he puts on the O will probably be met by a gif of the Watkins catch.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2trfzdo0 said:
rlkats":2trfzdo0 said:
BubbaGump":2trfzdo0 said:
Win or lose the Seahawks put the SB in Russell Wilson’s hands! The 49ers did not do even attempt that with the Second Coming of Christ they have playing QB. Seahawks are behind their QB, 49ers.... not so much.

Let me clarify something for the ignorant. Shanahan did put it in The QB’s hands. Jimmy missed Sanders and threw picks. If Shanahan continues to run the ball we win. The Chiefs has no answer for the run game. Shannan got cute and Jimmy failed. The D faltered on a wide open receiver. Game over. So your ignorant uneducated statement has no meaning nor substance.

Oh “Second Coming of Christ”, wow please continue with you hyperbole.

We all watched the game, fella.

Its not the number of passes, it's the play calls. The chiefs put 10 in the box at the start of the 4th. They were going to sell out to stop the run and short psssing game. The 9ers tried to stretch the D one time on 11 pass attempts in the 2nd half. Everything was short hitches and crossing patterns. The run game was getting stuffed.

That's for a reason. It's s reflection of the trust in the QB, and a reflection of coach who did something similar in a very similar situation with another team.

They may get it worked out. They have the players. But JG was nothing more than Trent Dilfer for most of that game. And even Dilfer went deep a few times in his super bowl.

Shanahan has now blown two sizeable leads in a super bowl.

I always find it interesting that somehow Shanahan is blamed for the Altlanta-NE game when it was Dan Quinn as the HC and his D that couldn't stop anything. If you put up 28 pts ina Super Bowl, that should be enough to win if the D doesn't implode.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":2f3q0eta said:
Uncle Si":2f3q0eta said:
rlkats":2f3q0eta said:
BubbaGump":2f3q0eta said:
Win or lose the Seahawks put the SB in Russell Wilson’s hands! The 49ers did not do even attempt that with the Second Coming of Christ they have playing QB. Seahawks are behind their QB, 49ers.... not so much.

Let me clarify something for the ignorant. Shanahan did put it in The QB’s hands. Jimmy missed Sanders and threw picks. If Shanahan continues to run the ball we win. The Chiefs has no answer for the run game. Shannan got cute and Jimmy failed. The D faltered on a wide open receiver. Game over. So your ignorant uneducated statement has no meaning nor substance.

Its not the number of passes, it's the play calls. The chiefs put 10 in the box at the start of the 4th. They were going to sell out to stop the run and short psssing game. The 9ers tried to stretch the D one time on 11 pass attempts in the 2nd half. Everything was short hitches and crossing patterns. The run game was getting stuffed.

That's for a reason. It's s reflection of the trust in the QB, and a reflection of coach who did something similar in a very similar situation with another team.

They may get it worked out. They have the players. But JG was nothing more than Trent Dilfer for most of that game. And even Dilfer went deep a few times in his super bowl.

I always find it interesting that somehow Shanahan is blamed for the Altlanta-NE game when it was Dan Quinn as the HC and his D that couldn't stop anything. If you put up 28 pts ina Super Bowl, that should be enough to win if the D doesn't implode.
When you have a 25 point lead midway thru the 3rd qtr in the SB, you run the ball..... EVERY PLAY!
I know in your world Shanny is the perfect coach and perfect play caller, but he got too cute with the pass in Atlanta’s SB, and this last one for your team. The moment has gotten too big for him twice in the Super Bowl. Just like the moment got too big for Darrell Bevell in SB 49 with the “2nd and wrong” playcall. Chokes happened in all 3 situations.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2usux009 said:
Marvin49":2usux009 said:
Uncle Si":2usux009 said:
rlkats":2usux009 said:

When you have a 25 point lead midway thru the 3rd qtr in the SB, you run the ball..... EVERY PLAY!
I know in your world Shanny is the perfect coach and perfect play caller, but he got too cute with the pass in Atlanta’s SB, and this last one for your team. The moment has gotten too big for him twice in the Super Bowl. Just like the moment got too big for Darrell Bevell in SB 49 with the “2nd and wrong” playcall. Chokes happened in all 3 situations.

You misunderstand me. Shanahan certainly had a hand in the collapse.

I just don't understand why when people talk about that game it seems to rest 100% on HIS shoulders and not the HC of the team who was hired on his strength as a DC. I mean Shanahan GOT them that 25 point lead and led one of the best offenses in NFL history that year.

Seems odd to me that Quinn seems to get a pass on that one.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":34hkxppv said:
Sports Hernia":34hkxppv said:
Marvin49":34hkxppv said:
Uncle Si":34hkxppv said:

I just don't understand why when people talk about that game it seems to rest 100% on HIS shoulders and not the HC of the team who was hired on his strength as a DC. I mean Shanahan GOT them that 25 point lead and led one of the best offenses in NFL history that year.

Most head coaches delegate responsibilities.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3svprove said:
Marvin49":3svprove said:
Sports Hernia":3svprove said:
Marvin49":3svprove said:

Most head coaches delegate responsibilities.

Of course they do. The Falcons Offense ran into a brick wall and stopped producing. Shanahan rightfully has been criticized. WHat I don't get is how Quinn skates on his D going from allowing 3 pts to 34 points in the same timeframe.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
They didn't run into a brick wall... much like the chiefs game, the falcon ran into a coach willing to change things up.

Shanahan takes the blame for the lack of production in that falcons game. I don't really care if Quinn gets blame for the D. He's the head coach.. he gets the one on the losing end of the box score forever.

I'm talking about shanahan. Will be interesting to see if he ever gets there again, how he reacts. Not many coaches get multiple chances.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Mahomes gave me trouble in Madden 2020, but I sucked it up and beat his ass. If I can do it, SF's D should be able to.

Torc

Reaction score
Marvin49":3lnunjj0 said:
Of course they do. The Falcons Offense ran into a brick wall and stopped producing. Shanahan rightfully has been criticized. WHat I don't get is how Quinn skates on his D going from allowing 3 pts to 34 points in the same timeframe.

The defense was playing their guts out but the offense couldn't stay on the field to save their lives. Even a LITTLE bit of ball control offense in the second half burns some time off the clock and probably wins the game. Even with that, the offense was in a position to put a FG on the board near the end of the game to probably put the game out of reach, and managed to turn the ball over. A safe run play keeps them in FG range and burns the clock, instead they ran a pass play from the shotgun and gave the ball to Brady with time to score.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...nse-was-so-tired-at-the-end-of-super-bowl-li/

By the end of the game, New England had run 93 plays from scrimmage -- 99 if you include penalties. Whichever number you take is the most a team has ever run in the Super Bowl, per Pro-Football-Reference. Even if you removed the eight plays the Pats ran in overtime, that would still be true.

By way of perspective, the greatest number of plays an Atlanta opponent had run in any game this season was 81. The defense being on the field for 99 plays Sunday night was the equivalent of them playing almost another entire quarter beyond that game. Combine the sheer number of plays they faced with the style of defense they were playing for most of the game, and it's no surprise New England saw its yards per play skyrocket from 5.1 to 6.8 after halftime.

The offense and defense are supposed to put each other in position to win. The offense didn't help the D, and that's why shanahan gets the criticism.

Johnny Dimes

Reaction score
Jimmy G is garbage. He throws a ball that wobbles to much and he can’t make the outside or downfield throws. Glad we got Wilson.

Washington49er

Reaction score
Johnny Dimes":1mgbercc said:
Jimmy G is garbage. He throws a ball that wobbles to much and he can’t make the outside or downfield throws. Glad we got Wilson.

ROFLMAO!

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Marvin49":3rk25vsj said:
Sports Hernia":3rk25vsj said:
Marvin49":3rk25vsj said:
Uncle Si":3rk25vsj said:

Well I wouldn't give him credit for the pick 6 that the Falcons D got. He's not THAT good. :)

Marvin49

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":vpck4alq said:
Marvin49":vpck4alq said:
Sports Hernia":vpck4alq said:
Marvin49":vpck4alq said:

Well I wouldn't give him credit for the pick 6 that the Falcons D got. He's not THAT good. :)

...fair. :D

Marvin49

Reaction score
Johnny Dimes":2xoa9dnn said:

Meanwhile....

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF_Fantasy/status/1265078231079755776[/tweet]

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Marvin49":22arf5ke said:
Johnny Dimes":22arf5ke said:

Meanwhile....

Right... Jimmy G is the MAN, Makes me want to like football again.

Of course many of those 20+ yard plays are probably the 50 toss sweeps to Samuel.

In any case, This thread is about as important as nips on a bull. Who cares?

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Marvin49":2xhhslky said:
HawkRiderFan":2xhhslky said:
Marvin49":2xhhslky said:
Sports Hernia":2xhhslky said:

...fair. :D

As someone who really hates seeing the Pats win the one call I am so angry at Shanahan for in that game is the 2nd down pass that resulted in a sack 2 plays after the incredible Jones catch. Just run the ball a couple of times, force the Pats to burn time outs and have Bryant line up for a makeable FG. Sure he could have missed it, but percentages are he makes it and it's a 2 score game. Nothing else would have mattered. Argh!

Marvin49

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":uamzq3yi said:
Marvin49":uamzq3yi said:
Johnny Dimes":uamzq3yi said:

Meanwhile....

Of course many of those 20+ yard plays are probably the 50 toss sweeps to Samuel.

1) You are correct, it doesn't matter.

2) Its 20+ yard completions, not "toss sweeps". Those would be a backward lateral and therefore runs.

3) I only posted this in response to "he can’t make the outside or downfield throws". He actually completes the highest % of passes on THROWS over 20 yards, but in fairness he also attempts those throws least of almost anyone who qualifies. That just isn't their offensive design. When he makes those attempts, Shanahans scheme tends to have a guy WIDE OPEN down the field.

4) Finally, I actually don't think Jimmy is a great deep ball thrower. Its not his strength. There is just SOOOO much hyperbole around him sucking that its ludicrous. Wilson is IMO the best deep ball thrower in the NFL.

NINEster

Reaction score
Marvin49":10s7v26p said:
loafoftatupu":10s7v26p said:
Marvin49":10s7v26p said:
Johnny Dimes":10s7v26p said:

Meanwhile....

1) You are correct, it doesn't matter.

2) Its 20+ yard completions, not "toss sweeps". Those would be a backward lateral and therefore runs.

3) I only posted this in response to "he can’t make the outside or downfield throws". He actually completes the highest % of passes on THROWS over 20 yards, but in fairness he also attempts those throws least of almost anyone who qualifies. That just isn't their offensive design. When he makes those attempts, Shanahans scheme tends to have a guy WIDE OPEN down the field.

4) Finally, I actually don't think Jimmy is a great deep ball thrower. Its not his strength. There is just SOOOO much hyperbole around him sucking that its ludicrous. Wilson is IMO the best deep ball thrower in the NFL.

So sad one has to even defend what "20+ yards downfield" means.

You know a better argument would be to say Garoppolo's percentage is higher because the deep throw attempts are less. In many cases that might be true. I take the stat a bit of both, that he can make those throws and there's some inherent bias built in. It's why you want to see 200+ rush attempts before making a big deal about an RB's yards per carry.

But back to that stat, the best throw in the entire SB was called back on offensive pass interference. That would have been "a clutch throw" by Wilson in the same scenario even with the penalty. :roll:

I don't mind and could appreciate real criticism of him, but it's almost never anything said just as an observer. Like, what would Hawk fans have thought of Garoppolo if he took over for Brady? It's almost a lock Stidham will be seen as a better QB than Garoppolo by Hawk fans.

Meanwhile I can say that Wilson has thrown an excellent deep ball from day one, and finally is a very good QB. The "finally" portion meaning Wilson isn't entirely dependent on pass rushers completely missing him and giving him an open area to throw a ball that any decent HS QB could complete because there'd be no one around him for yards and a wide open receiver running a scramble drill. Remember that Ahmad Brooks keystone cops video? Yeah that was a big chunk of Wilson's "greatness" early on.

Facts are facts, Wilson had great intangibles and protected the ball well enough but without a stellar defense those early Hawks teams aren't SB caliber (much the way people claim Jimmy G was in the caboose of the Niner train). 2012 Wilson, Kap were a little inflated off the RG3 success, and come 2013 all of those QBs took a healthy step back.

If Wilson had average mobility back then, it would have been a 9 win team at best.

Also it's worth noting that while Jimmy hasn't had quite the highs of a special Wilson game, he hasn't had any true stinkers in his first 30 NFL starts. Wilson's worst 5 starts in his first 30 were definitely worse than Garoppolo's. Wilson had the best defense in the league and couldn't win games where the defense allowed 24+ until like his 3rd season. If Garoppolo had those type of stats, the Niners would have been a 7 win team last year? I can't imagine his overall tenure with Shanahan.........would probably look like the HoF mix of Hoyer/Beathard/Mullens.

Still waiting for the proper Jimmy G evaluation like what you'd expect from Baldinger, Cosell, Benoit. Instead this site is a mirror site of mikeflorio.net. Which is fine, but boring. I can't foresee any scenario whatsoever that would garner Garoppolo respect from Seahawk fans.

I mean, if George Kittle can't be better than Will Dissly, what shot in hell does Jimmy G ever have being in the same galaxy as Wilson? :mrgreen: