Percy out to prove Hawks wrong

seabowl

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone noticed but Percy Harvin had a fantastic game yesterday with Vick and Chris Simms throwing to him. He had 11 catches for 129 yes, 88 yards on 2 kickoff returns and 8 yards rushing. That's a total of 225 yards on a terrible team.

I know he was trouble off the field but maybe, just maybe, it's because he was being used incorrectly on the field by our OC. Harvin eluded to getting the ball in space to utilize his speed after the game. This is what many of us were complaining about when he was here. Too many bubble screens and not getting him the ball in space down the field. I'm not saying he would have definitely worked out but I think he may have still been here if we used him as we all were asking. Thoughts?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Harvin is not a downfield threat, nor has he ever been. Go look at his career numbers, he posts very low yards per catch averages. What the Hawks' were doing with Harvin is what he has always done in Minnesota, the difference was in the execution. Even so, Harvin had a game that should have netted him 100 yards and three touchdowns with the Hawks', but alas' those plays were all called back due to stupid penalties.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
There has never been a doubt that he possess elite talent he just wasn't a very good teammate. That said I don't think many here would argue that we were maximizing his potential here either. Once he starting pouting though it was over for him here. Now he is back to the wall and maybe it works out for him better there. If I could go back in time to last off season I'd choose Tate over him though and with a complete do over I'd would have much rather used the picks we gave up for him to better develop our offensive line though.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Watching the game, he was definitely great, but the Jets had no control of that game at any point, while his stats may make it seem otherwise. He was 8/66 with about 10min left before they started airing it out (since they were behind). In those 10 mins, the Jets ran 27 plays with 26 of them being passes. Harvin put in some work there. Doubt it would work here though, there's just too many mouths to feed, especially with everyone screaming to also give it to Lynch (similarly to Tate, as he's also putting up monster yardage at DET). At NY, you could see the ball was either going to Decker or Harvin. Don't want to sound like I'm diminishing his game, but I just don't know if it could work here.

BlueOne

Reaction score
Harvin played well but as people have already stated, pretty much the whole game was garbage time. Also, throwing out total yards when including return yardage is a pretty bad stat imo. Anyway, while Harvin is talented at the end of the day when you have a player who's unwilling to go into the game when the coaches tell him too you have to dump him. No player is bigger than the team.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":3f0pu1ue said:
Watching the game, he was definitely great, but the Jets had no control of that game at any point, while his stats may make it seem otherwise. He was 8/66 with about 10min left before they started airing it out (since they were behind). In those 10 mins, the Jets ran 27 plays with 26 of them being passes. Harvin put in some work there. Doubt it would work here though, there's just too many mouths to feed, especially with everyone screaming to also give it to Lynch (similarly to Tate, as he's also putting up monster yardage at DET). At NY, you could see the ball was either going to Decker or Harvin. Don't want to sound like I'm diminishing his game, but I just don't know if it could work here.

Just curious what wr mouths do we need to feed here? Last I looked we don't have a #1 receiver on the team. Also when I said downfield I meant past the line of scrimmage not the crappy bubble screens we were throwing to him.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Go percy! Turn that 6th into a 4th!

hawk fans have no reason to fear Percy doing well.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1bsvuh91 said:

True. The trade wasn't even necessarily due to lack of skill; it was about being a team player and improving overall team chemistry. Weighing those concerns against his massive salary, they decided to trade him for what could end up being a Fourth Round pick.

Use some of those savings to keep Lynch, extend Wilson and re-sign Avril, Wright and/or Smith, and I will be a happy man.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2ogbtkfo said:

This.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1vi5urrn said:

Yup. No one in our division plays the Jets this season and the only NFC team they have left on their schedule is the 4-5 Vikings of whom probably aren't going to be competing with us for playoff seeding anyway, so there's no logical reason to be worried about Percy, at least not this season.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
We never needed Percy. We needed offensive linemen. Still do.

sutz

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2wkcdn35 said:
The Jets are still losing and the Seahawks are winning. That's really all I care about.
This. : :13: I think the OP has us confused someone who gives a crap. ;)

Having said that, I have no problem with Harvin doing well and improving our compensatory pick. :)

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Frankly don't care, all I want from him is a 4th Rd. pick.

He's still all about me, and this' prove the Hawks wrong' schizzle is just part of his schtick. It's not about winning it's about Percy.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Figured he'd pit up stats there. He's the only weapon on a bad team. Maybe that's what his personality type needs. Big fish in a small pond.

hoxrox

Reaction score
4th vs a 6th. Big woop.

We lost a 1st, 3rd and a 7th for this POS - picks that could have been used on quality o line, d line or another WR.

We lost players to FA that the FO might have otherwise kept like Tate or McDonald.

We lost football games because we went away from our smash mouth identity to accommodate this me-first cancer.

We lost football games, in part, because of his fumbled kick off return, giving SD an easy 7.

We lost football games because he refused to play when we still had a chance to win it.

We lost football games because players and coaches were distracted in St. Louis.

In fact, if we miss the playoffs by one or two games this year... it will be because we didn't unload this cancer earlier.

I cannot root for what is among the worst trade in franchise history. What's done is done, but as far as I'm concerned, this dude can rot.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
sutz":1nqwz42m said:
peachesenregalia":1nqwz42m said:
The Jets are still losing and the Seahawks are winning. That's really all I care about.
This. : :13: I think the OP has us confused someone who gives a crap. ;)

Having said that, I have no problem with Harvin doing well and improving our compensatory pick. :)

I hope Harvin blows up and puts up a spectacular season in losing effort after losing effort for the Jets. Make that 4th rounder as high a pick as possible.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I get a kick out of the politically correct way in which the TV announcers characterize why the Hawks would trade away a player they spent a first, third, seventh, and sacrificed the ability to resign some of our FA's. "He wasn't a good fit", they would say.

What a pile of horse pucky! He was a frigging A-hole, that's why he was traded.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":1xa60gfs said:
What a pile of horse pucky! He was a frigging A-hole, that's why he was traded.

That, and he wasn't a good fit. Bevell could do nothing with Harvin, which is sad because he of all people should know how best to use him.