Fire John Idzik billboard purchased for outside MetLife

mistaowen

Reaction score
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... -1.1996753

Pretty ridiculous IMO. They raised $10,000 for it and is planned to go up at end of November. Guy took over one of the worst offensive teams in the league with Geno Smith at QB. Plus, if the owner actually does fire him (which is way too premature), what GM is going to want this job with fans like this?

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Ouch. It's sad that the only real major attempts at constructive contributions many football fans seem to make these days are 1) Demanding the starting QB be benched for the backup and 2) Demanding a coach or GM be fired. It's like we're just looking for an immediate reprieve for the anger and impatience that comes with investing so much of our well-being into something that's mostly out of our control. The reasons people are football fans in the first place seem to be the same reasons why we can't allow ourselves to get out of our franchises' ways. What an incredibly vicious cycle.

mikeak

Reaction score
We will take him back as a cap manager right

I am still baffled why people expect a cap manager to be great at spotting talent for the team. Now you could argue that drafting players is in the hand of others and he runs other things as GM which if that is the case then fine. But what makes him qualified at spotting talent because he was great at managing the cap?

Maybe I am not aware of something in his background so actually very interested to what people say

mikeak

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2fkamnb9 said:
"Drafting Geno Smith was '100 percent' John Idzik's decision"

http://www.metro.us/sports/source-draft ... iZUIhHGDg/

The interesting thing with this is how things can be skewed to blame someone.

So the group as a whole had Manuels rated higher - well that didn't work out......

They came into 2013 season with Mark Sanchez as their starter. So they could have either not drafted anybody in 2013 or they could draft a qb.

Lets say they don't draft anybody. Rex gets Sanchez damaged in pre-season on a bad move who is their backup?

They draft someone else - who was available that year? Barkley?......yeah no comment on that

So they went with the best guy on the board. I don't think that was incorrect. He was the best and he wouldn't be there in round 3 and furthermore Sanchez hadn't shown that he could do the job in 2012.

So if Geno sucked in 2013 (which he didn't) the organization could have decided to draft someone else.

Now he showed great promise at the end and they won some games and went 8-8. Now in 2014 Geno doesn't do so great so obviously Idzik is at fault because he decided to draft Geno......

Amazing logic

hawknation2014

Reaction score
mikeak":2pkby7q2 said:
hawknation2014":2pkby7q2 said:

So the group as a whole had Manuels rated higher - well that didn't work out......

They came into 2013 season with Mark Sanchez as their starter. So they could have either not drafted anybody in 2013 or they could draft a qb.

Lets say they don't draft anybody. Rex gets Sanchez damaged in pre-season on a bad move who is their backup?

They draft someone else - who was available that year? Barkley?......yeah no comment on that

So they went with the best guy on the board. I don't think that was incorrect. He was the best and he wouldn't be there in round 3 and furthermore Sanchez hadn't shown that he could do the job in 2012.

So if Geno sucked in 2013 (which he didn't) the organization could have decided to draft someone else.

Now he showed great promise at the end and they won some games and went 8-8. Now in 2014 Geno doesn't do so great so obviously Idzik is at fault because he decided to draft Geno......

Amazing logic

Geno was terrible last year (21 INTs) and he's terrible now. Mike Glennon was a much better prospect than Geno. I also like Ryan Nassib's future potential. Even B. J. Daniels looks like he could turn out to be a better duel-threat QB with some more development under Russell Wilson.

There were other problems with that draft too. Their No. 9 overall pick, Dee Milliner, has been horrible and couldn't get on the field even before his injury. Meanwhile, this year's First Rounder Calvin Pryor has been demoted to only playing special teams because of his poor cover skills. The Jets' secondary continues to languish.

It's funny, Idzik's one saving grace might be the Percy Harvin trade.

HawkWow

Reaction score
mikeak":1i84a763 said:
hawknation2014":1i84a763 said:

Amazing logic

Nice post. And what you speak of here is what I attribute to the "instant gratification generation". A GM today has his hands tied. "Our QB sucks...get us a new one, now"!. Well, there's just not that many good QBs to go around, let alone great ones and the GM is well aware of that. He'd rather pass on just any QB this year, instead maybe taking a sure fire stud LB,... but what choice does the GM have? If he passes on (insert QB name here), they want him fired. He failed to address the situation. So he tells the wife and kids to not get too comfortable in their surroundings, because he is about to draft a QB that he knows will not benefit the team.

The old baseball adage is, "you can't fire the team, so you fire the manager". Unsure that is the correct response in any sport.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Jets just need to start fresh from top to bottom, much like the Seahawks did in 2010 when we brought in the current FO and staff we have now.

They need someone with a vision that doesn't compare to other teams (like Seattle again did with Carroll, or any other era where a team takes off to heights its never seen before or hasn't seen in many many many years). They can't just try and pick away parts from already successful franchises, cuz the fact that they saw something means everyone else did too and they're gonna do the same exact or at least incorporate a few things into their programs.

I don't know if Idzik is a good GM, don't really care either, but i know he got into a stupid situation where he had to come into a team with a diva coach who really isn't that great of a HC, I can't see how anyone can do anything good in a situation like that.

WendellWent

Reaction score
Rex is far from a diva coach, nearly the exact opposite. Check the diva at the other end of that division though in NE.

chris98251

Reaction score
He thinks he is a Diva, still trying to fill his dads shoes, never will.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I dont know. Looks like he has a heck of a plan to me.

Unfortunately Rexy rallied last year to get to 8-8, so he couldn't fire him.

Bring Rex back, stick him with Geno, watch it burn down.

All the while keeping your eye on Eugene at the prize for your sucky year.

At the end of the year, fire Rex, hire your guy, Grab Mariota, and boom goes the dynamite.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":278vd4g0 said:
I dont know. Looks like he has a heck of a plan to me.

Unfortunately Rexy rallied last year to get to 8-8, so he couldn't fire him.

Bring Rex back, stick him with Geno, watch it burn down.

All the while keeping your eye on Eugene at the prize for your sucky year.

At the end of the year, fire Rex, hire your guy, Grab Mariota, and boom goes the dynamite.
Name one QB from the Oregon system that is a great NFL QB...I'm not that high on the guy..If I was the Jets I'd
draft him and then trade him to the Eagles for Foles..That is the only way I se MM being able to function..Shotgun/fast paced is what he knows..