Ryan Mallet named Texans starting QB

Hawksfanatik

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...brien-tabs-ryan-mallett-as-texans-starting-qb

Being a Texans fan (2nd favorite team after Seattle, of course!), I am hoping that Mallett's big arm helps Houston put some more points on the board.

They already have a legit defense this year... in addition, they have the weapons at WR (Johnson, Hopkins) to make something happen on offense. With a healthy Arian Foster in tow, I think they could be a legit playoff/wildcard team IF they get anything good out of the quarterback.

Mallet may not be a future all-pro in the NFL -- but he has got to be better than Fitzpatrick. Right!?
It will be interesting to see how he does...:snack:

pehawk

Reaction score
About time. They went from stretch running and play action coach to conventional rushing and play action coach. The teams built for a big armed QB.

This makes so much sense. Shouldve been done long ago.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Probably the most curious I have been about a backup getting his shot since Rodgers.

rastahawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":196tbro2 said:
Probably the most curious I have been about a backup getting his shot since Rodgers.

True that. I am somewhat excited by this. Half of it is because I am curious of this Ryan Mallet guy (I was screaming to draft him when he was on the board), the other half is I hate Fitzpatrick.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Mallett's arm is absolutely ridiculous. Not sure if there's a more powerful arm in the league.

minormillikin

Reaction score
All he has to do is target Andre Johnson occasionally and he'll be better than Grizzly Hipster Fitzpatrick.

I will be paying attention to this...

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think the most fascinating part is that Bill dumped him. If he is really good, it will tarnish Bill for some time.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Going to miss seeing Facebadger on national tv. Maybe we'll still get sideline shots?

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
Mallett is undoubtedly talented and will most likely be an upgrade over Fitzpatrick, but I will be surprised if he is much more than a stop-gap for the Texans. Being a big Pats fan as well, I've seen a good deal of him the past couple years. He shows promise, but continues to struggle in making reads, throw on time, and with pocket awareness. He's been sitting behind TB, what, 4 years now? He really has improved very little, and perhaps most damning, Garroppolo came right in and looked better. Maybe he'll step right in and gain confidence through playing. Having a guys like Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins will help. His ceiling is probably somewhere around smoking Jay/Matt Stafford level, but his floor is a few games and done.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I remember watching Mallet when he played for Michigan as a freshman ..I thought wow the guy is looking like a pro already..I'm curious to how he will do..I thought his arm reminded me of Favre..He looks the part and has the arm but he could play like Leaf or other guys that fail...

nanomoz

Reaction score
Scottemojo":9cjwgsaz said:

Beat me to it.

rideaducati

Reaction score
HuskerHawk":35wzr5rq said:
Mallett is undoubtedly talented and will most likely be an upgrade over Fitzpatrick, but I will be surprised if he is much more than a stop-gap for the Texans. Being a big Pats fan as well, I've seen a good deal of him the past couple years. He shows promise, but continues to struggle in making reads, throw on time, and with pocket awareness. He's been sitting behind TB, what, 4 years now? He really has improved very little, and perhaps most damning, Garroppolo came right in and looked better. Maybe he'll step right in and gain confidence through playing. Having a guys like Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins will help. His ceiling is probably somewhere around smoking Jay/Matt Stafford level, but his floor is a few games and done.

Most players that get drafted are ticked off if they are drafted to back up a great player. Knowing full well that he would NEVER get a chance to take over, he probably slacked off a bit. Notice how fast he moved up the depth chart when he knew he had a chance...well, maybe it had more to do with other guys falling down the depth chart with their play, but still...