Jerry Rice on Harbaugh's 49ers future: "I think he's gone."

hawknation2014

Reaction score
http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/11/04/jerry- ... ext-season

On whether Jim Harbaugh should be on the hot seat after a slow start:

"With Jim Harbaugh, there’s a lot of questions out there right now," Rice said. "We don’t really know if he wants to come back and be the head coach for the San Francisco 49ers...Maybe that’s starting to wear and tear on the team and it’s taking its toll."

On how rumored friction between GM Trent Baalke and Coach Harbaugh affects the players:

"The team, they try to say, ‘Well, we’re not affected by it.’ But you are, because (the coach and GM) have to make very crucial decisions that are really going to benefit the team. There’s a lot going on with that organization right now and I think it’s starting to hurt the players down there in the locker room."

:snack:

HawkWow

Reaction score
"The team, they try to say, ‘Well, we’re not affected by it.’ But you are, because (the coach and GM) have to make very crucial decisions that are really going to benefit the team.

Great stuff, Jerry. Riveting.

NINEster

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":319ts3lj said:
Is Jerry Rice on the niner defense squad's "approved list"?

Haha.

Rice's words are valid.

He is a bit of a s*** talker though. He had criticism for fellow Niner players that he's played with, so I can't imagine him holding back with the current team.

NINEster

Reaction score
Many Niner fans think the issues with Harbaugh have a lot more to do with the offense than anything else. Sure the guy isn't perfect, but if the offense was a lot more functional, I bet the locker room would be a lot better.

For whatever reason the offense has been trending down since the Super Bowl appearance. The run game/run blocking is down, and the schemes have not been as good. I don't think anybody would argue the roster is more talented now than the majority of last season, yet far more question marks. At this point I'd imagine you'd have to put that on the coach and not the players.

If it came out that Willis, Justin Smith, and other defensive players had issues with Harbaugh then it would be more telling. So far no reason for those guys to complain.

Tom Coughlin had his own issues with players and it wasn't until he changed and won an SB or two that that storyline faded. Carroll could become another one if things go south in Seattle.

Coach/player relationships are very heavily reliant on wins and losses.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
NINEster":wtv60gye said:
Many Niner fans think the issues with Harbaugh have a lot more to do with the offense than anything else. Sure the guy isn't perfect, but if the offense was a lot more functional, I bet the locker room would be a lot better.

For whatever reason the offense has been trending down since the Super Bowl appearance. The run game/run blocking is down, and the schemes have not been as good. I don't think anybody would argue the roster is more talented now than the majority of last season, yet far more question marks. At this point I'd imagine you'd have to put that on the coach and not the players.

If it came out that Willis, Justin Smith, and other defensive players had issues with Harbaugh then it would be more telling. So far no reason for those guys to complain.

Tom Coughlin had his own issues with players and it wasn't until he changed and won an SB or two that that storyline faded. Carroll could become another one if things go south in Seattle.

Coach/player relationships are very heavily reliant on wins and losses.
This thing has roots going back 3 years now. And looking backwards, it will be at least partially blamed on the Smith/Kaepernick decision. Alex was a company man. Harbaugh got his player, Kaep, and his way. The Niners have tried to surround Kaep with talent, and it simply isn't producing a dynamic and consistent offense. That has to be an undercurrent for long termers in that locker room now.
Lloyd. Stevie Smith. Gore. Crabtree. Boldin. Davis. To me, that is the most dynamic list of skill position talent in the NFL right now. If I am Baalke, I'm totally proud of the group I have assembled. And totally miffed that that group put up 10 points on the Rams. At home. Baalke won't care if it's schematic, philisophical, or failure to execute, that is the coaches job. Ballke got him some damn good groceries, and is getting served burnt grilled cheese. And the thought that the Niner's QB is the one part that is not really Baalke's guy, but Harbaugh's acolyte, has to be a central theme in assigning blame. I think the contract the Niners offered Kaep reflects that thought.

Largent80

Reaction score
John Clayton seems to think he is gone as well. He said yesterday that he is going to New Orleans to watch the demise of the Harbaugh era.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Meanwhile there are about 10-15 other NFL teams would kill for a coach that could get them to 3 NFCCGs in a row, 1 SB, and this year they're still in the playoff hunt with a decent forseeable future.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Random thought: I'm really glad that Kaepernick's not capable of passing to Stevie Johnson all day every day. Dude has a knack for separation and route running that is truly impressive. The 49ers offense could be a LOT better than it is.

pehawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1tlb5d8x said:
Random thought: I'm really glad that Kaepernick's not capable of passing to Stevie Johnson all day every day. Dude has a knack for separation and route running that is truly impressive. The 49ers offense could be a LOT better than it is.

Word...I wanted the Seahawks to nab him, badly. People don't realize how good he is because of the QB's and teams he'd played with.

ivotuk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2spsv2bg said:

Pisses me off that we didn't trade for him. A 4th? #$*&*@!!

I'm kind of sad about this because Harbaugh and Carroll make for the best rivalry in football. And the 49ers under Harbs have helped make us so much better. If you want to be the best, you have to test yourself against the best.

If we don't have great team in our division, we will not have the edge to go all the way and win the SuperB Owl. Which is the only thing that matters in life. Well that and pussy..cats.

travlinhawk

Reaction score
Say Harbaugh IS gone after this year. Do you think the Niners would try and poach Carroll? Someone please tell me no...

Scottemojo

Reaction score
travlinhawk":jpbqekoy said:
Say Harbaugh IS gone after this year. Do you think the Niners would try and poach Carroll? Someone please tell me no...
He is under contract for a few more years. Not even possible.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1ookvkq6 said:

He's actually getting much better with Stevie. Stevie has become one of their biggest 3rd down threats.

To put in perspective Stevie is currently outplaying Crab by a longshot by having almost the same production while being on the field less than half as much. It took them a bit to get on the same page, but they are getting much better.

Marvin49

Reaction score
ivotuk":nl7ywge7 said:
RolandDeschain":nl7ywge7 said:

Pisses me off that we didn't trade for him. A 4th? #$*&*@!!

I'm kind of sad about this because Harbaugh and Carroll make for the best rivalry in football. And the 49ers under Harbs have helped make us so much better. If you want to be the best, you have to test yourself against the best.

If we don't have great team in our division, we will not have the edge to go all the way and win the SuperB Owl. Which is the only thing that matters in life. Well that and pussy..cats.

Sooo....

....Boldin and Johnson for a 4 and a 6 or....

Percy Harvin for a 1, a 3, a 7, and a ton of $$$$?

Too soon?

In all honesty I was pretty worried about facing Percy at some point. I didn't like that trade (for the Seahawks) from the beginning because I thought it was way too much to give up, but I really didn't want to face that offense with him in the lineup. Speed kills.

Odd how it worked out...he never ended up being active for a Niner game.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2rbghdmh said:
If so, why isn't Stevie on the field more?

I think he will be.

The entire offense right now is disjointed.

They don't really have a clear #3 or #4 recievers as it depends on package, but Boldin and Crab get by far the most snaps.

Crab just seems off. Not sure why. While Kap and he used to have great chemistry and always be on the same page, seems like they are reading different books this year. In 2012 it seems Crab was is "safe place"

Kap is now far more in tune with Boldin and Johnson.

I kinda think they may play Johnsoin more and more and let Crab walk at years end.

We'll see.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Marvin49":1fu0wcr3 said:

I have a query for you Marvin because it seems like you are very attuned to the current state of the team. Has the loss of OL Coach Tim Drevno hurt the offense?

Drevno coached with Harbaugh for 10+ years. He was his OC at the University of San Diego, then his OL Coach at Stanford and the 49ers. Maybe 49er fans were giving too much credit to Greg Roman for the offense's toughness. They're getting manhandled right now.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2014":14g59l3b said:
Marvin49":14g59l3b said:

I have a query for you Marvin because it seems like you are very attuned to the current state of the team. Has the loss of OL Coach Tim Drevno hurt the offense?

Drevno coached with Harbaugh for 10+ years. He was his OC at the University of San Diego, then his OL Coach at Stanford and the 49ers. Maybe 49er fans were giving too much credit to Greg Roman for the offense's toughness. They're getting manhandled right now.

Tough to say...Maybe?

Their current O-Line coach is Mike Solari who was there all along (they actually had TWO line coaches at one point) and Mikes been around the league for quite some time. As for offensive "toughness"...I doubt it has much to do with Drevno's not being there to coach the O-Line...

...but it's possible it has had an effect from a playcalling perspective. Since his days at Stanford, Harbaugh has always been cagey about who actually calls the plays. When he was at Stanford, Roman was the RUN game coordinator and Shaw was the Pass game coordinator. I know for a fact that on more than one occasion Drevno actually called a run play for the 49ers or at least suggested one.. Its possible him not being there with those suggestions could be a part of the issue...but I don't know that for sure by any stretch.

They ARE getting manhandled. That much is true. Don't really know what to make of it other than that they are kinda changing identities. There was a beat writer out here that noted how often the run game was getting stuffed on first down and putting them in passing situations.

The REAL problem to me? Frank Gore is 31. He's still got great vision and patience...but he's 31. They can't depend on him being the Bell Cow anymore. They are in the middle of a transition on offense and its been bumpy. That line wasn't built to pass-block. They were built to run-block and then be a great play action pass team (sound familiar?). I think THATS what they need to get back to...and I think they need to start getting Carlos Hyde a lot more touches. I love Frank. He might be my favorite player ever...but he probably won't be here next year and he's just not the same guy anymore. You can't expect him to be.

Kap hasn't played nearly as bad as people (media and Niner fans alike) say he has, but this transition from Gore being the focal point to Kap being the focal point is going to be rough. Kap getting sacked 14 times in the last 2 games isn't helping.