Dez Bryant

Donk70

Reaction score
If Dez ends up being a FA in 2015, do you think the Seahawks will go after him?

joeshaney

Reaction score
Maybe, but not with Lynch.
Prefer Lynch but if he goes than I could see it.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Did Branch work out? No

Did Housh work out? No

Did Sidney Rice work out? No

Did Jerry Rice work out? No

Did Percy Harvin work out? No

Should we trust Bryant to work out? NO :141847_bnono:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Will Seattle look? Definitely.

Will Dez sign in Seattle? Not unless we blow him away with cash. What sane WR in his prime will sign in Seattle if he cares about his numbers?
Besides, Dallas is going to long term him eventually.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Amazing talent, ten cent head. There is a reason Dallas hasnt extened a mega talent like him... potential locker room and sideline problems and Off-field problems, that are starting to come out, see yesterday's report on ESPN on how many times the police has been called to his home lately for exhibit A.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I think Pete's going to be very careful about targeting guys labelled with these 'concerns' from here on out. Percy was Pete's man-crush, and he practically begged John to let him go to the dance with him. Percy could dance, but for the sake of comparison he got drunk, hit a couple of people and rubbed Pete's friends the wrong way. I wouldn't be surprised if John had the final say on the next guy Pete wanted to take to the dance.

Subzero717

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":293sk0z3 said:
Did Branch work out? No

Did Housh work out? No

In fairness to say Branch and Sidney didn't work out is misleading. They were injury bugs. Both played well when healthy.

I think Dez is getting screwed by Jerrah. All of a sudden these stories are coming out as his contract talks are getting some talk. He signs with Jay Z, something the Boys aren't comfortable with and now the stories about cops at his house. Dez's locker room presence has never been questioned by his team mates that I know of.

pehawk

Reaction score
The Hawks best bet is Fitzgerald if he gets cut. He's the only personality of the potential FA WRs who I could see buying in.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":22vl1rkf said:
KitsapGuy":22vl1rkf said:
Did Branch work out? No

Did Housh work out? No

In fairness to say Branch and Sidney didn't work out is misleading. They were injury bugs. Both played well when healthy.

I think Dez is getting screwed by Jerrah. All of a sudden these stories are coming out as his contract talks are getting some talk. He signs with Jay Z, something the Boys aren't comfortable with and now the stories about cops at his house. Dez's locker room presence has never been questioned by his team mates that I know of.
Could be as Jerruh is an über douche but I doubt it. He has no problem over paying players (see Romo). It's pretty telling when they have to pay a guy to be a full time babysitter for Dezzy and the cops still get called and often. Like it or not Dez is a mental midget.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":akauz2bl said:
The Hawks best bet is Fitzgerald if he gets cut. He's the only personality of the potential FA WRs who I could see buying in.

I was going to post this, there's not many big guys who could become available that fit the profile other than Fitz and maybe Andre Johnson. Both are going to command a fair whack, and are past their peak.

Devin Funchess is sucking it up at the moment, he's a heck of a talent who's doing his best to fall to us in the draft. Reminds me of Benjamin last year, concerns about his hands, accused of being soft etc. I wouldn't be surprised if we went for a big WR in the draft. If we like a guy it's the cheapest option, that cap's already going to be hard to manipulate given we need to re-sign Russ and Bobby. Then there are guys like KJ, Carp and Marshawn (extension) to figure out.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1u2q000g said:
pehawk":1u2q000g said:

I was going to post this, there's not many big guys who could become available that fit the profile other than Fitz and maybe Andre Johnson. Both are going to command a fair whack, and are past their peak.

Devin Funchess is sucking it up at the moment, he's a heck of a talent who's doing his best to fall to us in the draft. Reminds me of Benjamin last year, concerns about his hands, accused of being soft etc. I wouldn't be surprised if we went for a big WR in the draft. If we like a guy it's the cheapest option, that cap's already going to be hard to manipulate given we need to re-sign Russ and Bobby. Then there are guys like KJ, Carp and Marshawn (extension) to figure out.

Funchess has a ton of talent. The poor kid has a horrible coach and QB. He would be a project for sure. I really can't evaluate this possible situation fairly as I am a huge Michigan homer. Much like many here are homers for anything PNW.
6' 5" 236 lbs. It is very intriguing indeed but like I said, a HUGE project. It's too bad that he doesn't come from a better system. If we get him, it will be late in the draft because he is really raw.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2k2rgliu said:
Did Branch work out? No Branch never even had a 1000 yard season, and his yards per catch was kinda low most of his years. Bear in mind that his underwhelming stat lines came while playing with one of the greatest QB's of all time that was just entering his prime, against a porous AFC East. He never was an elite wide receiver talent.

Did Housh work out? No Productive for his first and only season here, but very old and a bit of a diva.

Did Sidney Rice work out? No Injury prone wideout that only had one big year, and that was with an all time great. The rest were mediocre

Did Jerry Rice work out? No What did you expect from a 40+ year old wide receiver?

Did Percy Harvin work out? No Harvin never even had a 1000 yard season, he was a one trick pony and as a pure wide receiver was not very good. He was more of a utility type of player.

Out of all of these wideouts that we signed only three of them had a 1000 yard season. Out of the three that had a 1000 yard season under their belt, two of them were old receivers that were clearly past their primes. One of them only had one good season, and was known as a huge injury risk.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is none of the wideouts that have come through Seattle were elite receiving talents. Maybe they were in the past, but when they came to Seattle they were washed up. Percy Harvin was in his prime but he was more of a gadgety type of player, he never was a pure wideout. Bryant is clearly two cuts above the receivers we have signed here. If he becomes available I would at least like to kick the tires.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Absolutely not, unless for some reason Pete and John have a drastic change in offensive philosophy.

Same reason we didn't resign Tate, and a main reason Harvin was expendable.............. it doesn't make sense to spend 10-15M a year on a WR if you're going to run the ball 60% of the time, and that's probably how much Dez would cost.

jake206

Reaction score
Hawks need to be focused on their running philosophy. Dez is a great primary receiver. But not a good fit for the amt of money he'll ask for and amt of production he'll see in the offense. F.O. would be better served bolster TE instead, which should be a much cheaper option.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3aal86j7 said:
Absolutely not, unless for some reason Pete and John have a drastic change in offensive philosophy.

Same reason we didn't resign Tate, and a main reason Harvin was expendable.............. it doesn't make sense to spend 10-15M a year on a WR if you're going to run the ball 60% of the time, and that's probably how much Dez would cost.
If that is Pete Carroll's "philosophy" then why has he sought out the likes of Vincent Jackson, Brandon Marshall, Sidney Rice, and Percy Harvin? Why has he paid Sidney Rice and Harvin millions of dollars, why has he spent big draft capital on Harvin, then drafted another wide receiver with his first pick the next year? Your logic is heavily flawed here.

The whole time Pete Carroll has been in Seattle he has looked for that big time playmaker at wide receiver. That is the position that Seattle has invested the most capital into. Just this year he spent TWO high draft picks on wide receivers. He let Golden Tate go because he had just acquired Harvin, and Harvin had a huge salary. I think we still had some dead money left over from Sidney Rice as well. Between Tate and Harvin, and the dead money from Rice it would have been close to 100 million dollars tied up at wide receiver. Pete wanted to sign a few of his guys to extensions, and he saw Tate as disposable with the arrival of Percy Harvin.

sturg78

Reaction score
We don't need a great WR. We just need a big guy that can catch. Mike Williams or Joe Jurivicious. No need to pay a wr 8 million a year for 70 catches, which really is the limit you should expect from our offense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1miog3dv said:
Sgt. Largent":1miog3dv said:

If that is Pete Carroll's "philosophy" then why has he sought out the likes of Vincent Jackson, Brandon Marshall, Sidney Rice, and Percy Harvin? Why has he paid Sidney Rice and Harvin millions of dollars, why has he spent big draft capital on Harvin, then drafted another wide receiver with his first pick the next year? Your logic is heavily flawed here.

The whole time Pete Carroll has been in Seattle he has looked for that big time playmaker at wide receiver. That is the position that Seattle has invested the most capital into. Just this year he spent TWO high draft picks on wide receivers. He let Golden Tate go because he had just acquired Harvin, and Harvin had a huge salary. I think we still had some dead money left over from Sidney Rice as well. Between Tate and Harvin, and the dead money from Rice it would have been close to 100 million dollars tied up at wide receiver. Pete wanted to sign a few of his guys to extensions, and he saw Tate as disposable with the arrival of Percy Harvin.

Pete explained the Harvin signing when he first arrived, Pete and John considered Harvin a dynamic special talent that was far more than just a WR..........thus justifying his salary.

As far as Rice, what's the most he ever made here? 7 or 8M? Don't think we could get Bryant for that amount, he's too important to Dallas, they're gonna give him probably in the 12-15M a year range if they can fit it under their cap.

I have no idea about your other examples, other than we DIDN'T sign those guys, so that only helps prove my point that their salaries weren't worth it due to our offense and how Pete and John prioritize contracts.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3jjlvwee said:
Spin Doctor":3jjlvwee said:
Sgt. Largent":3jjlvwee said:

Pete explained the Harvin signing when he first arrived, Pete and John considered Harvin a dynamic special talent that was far more than just a WR..........thus justifying his salary.

As far as Rice, what's the most he ever made here? 7 or 8M? Don't think we could get Bryant for that amount, he's too important to Dallas, they're gonna give him probably in the 12-15M a year range if they can fit it under their cap.

I have no idea about your other examples, other than we DIDN'T sign those guys, so that only helps prove my point that their salaries weren't worth it due to our offense and how Pete and John prioritize contracts.
We didn't sign Marshall due to the amount of compensation that the Broncos were asking for, we didn't sign Jackson because he got a mega deal. We got out bid on that one. Again, I think Pete Carroll's history shows that he really wants a wide receiver threat. Just the Sidney Rice, and Harvin deals prove that, Rice had a 41 million dollar deal, and Harvin had a 71 million dollar deal.

The question I pose to you is: If Carroll doesn't prioritize the position, why the hell do we keep paying big name wide receivers?

HawkWow

Reaction score
Nobody was ever more against the harvin acquisition than myself and I would take Dez Bryant in a new York second. Two very different types of moron.

Dez = Moron good. harvin = moron evil. My only concern would be the dollars.

harvin in his wettest dreams will never be the overall WR Dez Bryant is. Dez plays much more like Terrell Owens but without all the tears, drama and suicidal tendencies (no offense to that very fine band of the same name). Dez craves the big play and makes the big play and on his own if necessary. He is to WRs what beast is to backs, imo.

About the worst thing we know of Dez Bryant is that he once smacked the melon of his crack head mom. Who hasn't?
Yes, we saw what appeared to be Dez going off on Romo and restrained by Witten, but how much of that was diva and how much of that was a desire to win? Romo has certainly earned a going-off-on or two, imo.

Pleeeease:
1) Bryant
2) Baldwin
3) Richardson
4) Norwood /Kearse
6) hell yeah.