Chip Kelly

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Probably biased as a Duck fan, but i'd gladly trade him for Pete Carroll. In fact, I think he just might be the smartest coach in all of sports.

Excellent article here about how he's revolutionizing things in the NFL. (its long so make sure you have a few minutes)

http://grantland.com/features/chip-kell ... influence/

Now that Kelly’s Eagles have found success — they led the NFL in rushing and yards per carry and finished second in total offense in 2013 — the conversation has shifted away from whether his offense would work in the NFL to whether that success is sustainable, and particularly whether defenses will have figured out the attack over the offseason. This line of questioning misses the mark, however: Kelly’s offense isn’t unique because of specific schemes; it’s unique because of how he organizes and implements them.

“I’ve said it since day one: We don’t do anything revolutionary offensively,” Kelly said recently. “We run inside zone, we run outside zone, we run a sweep play, we run a power play. We’ve got a five-step [passing] game, we’ve got a three-step game, we run some screens. We’re not doing anything that’s never been done before in football.”

Instead of drawing up a new play to get that one-on-one matchup for that seven-yard pass, Kelly, like some football hacker, is attacking the very logic of defenses by deploying two-on-one, three-on-two, and four-on-three advantages, whether in run-blocking schemes or pass patterns. This is why the Eagles led the NFL in plays of more than 20 yards last season. Kelly is actually trying to break defenses.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2t2d56il said:
Probably biased as a Duck fan

Yes, probably.

Carroll has won titles at both levels. Chip: nada, nothing, zilch. His approach is interesting, though. Yet to be seen if it translates anywhere besides the regular season.

pehawk

Reaction score
Thanks for posting.

I really think as much as the system affords Chip the luxury, his attitude may be what makes him never pay a QB large dollars. It'd be a great innovation to develop a process that removes the lottery of getting a franchise QB. Chip's system can be run by any QB.

I cant help but love the guy.

PS Could you imagine the beating JSeahawks would get if his name wasn't in blue?

rastahawk

Reaction score
If all he does is keep the Cowboys out of the playoffs and Jerry Jones' face off my TV every year, that alone will win him HoF accolades in my book.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I miss Kelly's interviews, but until he proves he's not the Peyton Manning of coaches, I'm selling.

Carroll has also changed the NFL, in spite of the NFL making the job of offensive coaches that much easier.

lobohawk

Reaction score
How about he replace Pete when he retires. ;-)
Would be curious what he came up with having Wilson at QB.

pehawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2u5hfpkv said:
I miss Kelly's interviews, but until he proves he's not the Peyton Manning of coaches, I'm selling.

Carroll has also changed the NFL, in spite of the NFL making the job of offensive coaches that much easier.

Good point. You can actually say the same about what Carroll did for offenses. He did a Days of Futures Past, by going back to smashmouth, since all defenses we're built to stop passing.