Philly's Gonna Be Tough

chet380

Reaction score
Sanchez may be better than Foles.

Elite RB and WR, experienced OL, BUT D seems a little suspect.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Ya...he started out great with the Jets too but then......same thing will happen once teams have some film on him and can prepare. He'll be back to suckville and down will go the Eagles. Seahawks played well in Philly in the past and that was with a team that struggled on the road. This team is a better road team. Hopefully Wagner and Mebane are back for the Philly game.

jkitsune

Reaction score
I can't believe people are worried about Sanchez. Mark Sanchez. Just because he beat a bad Panthers team. We'll be fine.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I'm more concerned about KC this Sunday. Our offense has enough false starts when we're quiet at home...

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
You guys laugh, but I think Sanchez is a perfect fit for Kelly's offense. The Jets murder QB's

It will be a tough game.. but I think the Chiefs are a tougher opponent than Philly

HawkerD

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2i7ymd5g said:
Ya...he started out great with the Jets too but then......same thing will happen once teams have some film on him and can prepare. He'll be back to suckville and down will go the Eagles. Seahawks played well in Philly in the past and that was with a team that struggled on the road. This team is a better road team. Hopefully Wagner and Mebane are back for the Philly game.

Isn't this a meaningless stat? None of the current Seahawks played in Philly the last time they were there in 2007. To say our 3-2 record in Philly since 1976 has any relevance to this years game is statistical ignorance.

firebee

Reaction score
Let's focus on the Chiefs first... Winning against them in Arrowhead is going to be a task.

As for the Eagles... Bright side... They just gave us their defensive gameplan. Expect them to do just about the same thing defensively. Lot of 3 man rushes with a QB spy. Instead of spying Wilson with Barwin, they'll probably spy Wilson with Kendricks because he's a better physical matchup with Wilson. Draws, Delays and Counters will kill their defense as long as our linemen are releasing at the right time and getting some blocks on the linebackers. They are going to try and force Wilson to make throws from the pocket just like they did Newton, but you can expect blitzes on 3rd and longs. They play a lot of bump and run on the outside. Crossing routes that rub coverages, cross defenders and create windows is one way to attack their coverage. The Panthers ran a lot of seam, post, clearout type routes that aren't great against 8 in coverage or 7 with a spy against bump and run on the outside. Screens are pretty much pointless against that type of defensive scheme.
Wilson might want to come up with a call to let the linemen know when they need to release and seal off the spy if he wants to take off because nobody is open. Establishing the run will be critical against the Eagles defense. They have a great pass defense, but their run defense is suspect. Fortunately for them, they usually score so fast that teams don't have a chance to establish the run before they have to start going heavy pass and they have a very underrated excellent pass defense.

As for their offense.... Moneyball coverage... Just keep the receivers and backs in front and don't let them get behind you. Make them pay on the short receptions and break up the deep passes. Sanchez was pump-faking the crap out of the Panthers today. Screw the pump fake and playing the QB... Just play the receivers, keep them in front, make them pay for catches on the short routes and break up the catches downfield. Kelly's scheme doesn't rely on the fast pace to sustain long calculated drives. He relies on the fast pace to force the defense into making mistakes and giving up big plays because they can't get set or get tired and get burned. This is why the Eagles have a lot of 3 and outs or drives that don't really consist of a lot of positive plays being ran. His mentality is hopefully 1 of 3 plays will be a big play for a big gain or a TD if he runs the plays really fast and gets the defense to make a mistake 1 out of 3 plays.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":6lcbvsbr said:
You guys laugh, but I think Sanchez is a perfect fit for Kelly's offense. The Jets murder QB's

It will be a tough game.. but I think the Chiefs are a tougher opponent than Philly
I think every game from here on out will be tough. We dont have the experienced depth to dominate games this year. There will be a lot of stressful nail biters from here on out.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Cool, another thread claiming "insert opponent" is gonna be tough...well DUH, it's the NFL, all games are tough. You should go to opponent's websites and brag about how tough the Seahawks are gonna be for their team. Don't hide here and hope, EXPECT to win like we all did last year. Hell, the Seahawks went through a tough patch at the end of last year and still won the whole thing. This year, the tough patch came a bit earlier is all.

The Seahawks are still better than every team left on their schedule. All of their games will be tough though.

Get cocky again all... The Team senses it and plays with confidence when we're confident. They seem to play up to the fan confidence. Does anyone else feel this?

sturg78

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1a6jft0o said:
Jordan Matthews looked really good at WR last night....he could have been a Seahawk.
Meh. I have learned that some WR look great in some systems. He may have done awesome for us or he may have been in the same situation as Norwood and Richardson. Our offense is run first. I think at this point I'd rather a Jimmy Graham style te then a wr.

HawkWow

Reaction score
chet380":32nkcday said:
Sanchez may be better than Foles.

Elite RB and WR, experienced OL, BUT D seems a little suspect.

Can't we all just take this one game at a time? Stay in the moment? Just kidding.

I think they're all going to be tough, Chet. The road games tougher than others, but there will be no gimmies going forward. Even the blow out win vs Eli wasn't exactly a cake walk (despite the lop-sided score).

I anticipated Sanchez looking good last night, but I'm not anticipating the whole "reinvention" the pundits are trying to sell. He will (imo) likely lose 2 of the next 3 and it will be interesting to see how he recovers from that.

So far, he has 1 win in the past 2 years. I like the guy and even hope for his success, but he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer and even in today's league where QBs are probably (on average) less smart than ever, I still think QB intelligence is tantamount to winning football games.

Much more worried about the Chiefs. They have the smartest QB left on our schedule, imo.