NFL primetime games...

GeekHawk

Reaction score
So, for years we waited and wished our beloved Seahawks would get scheduled for nationally broadcast primetime games, more than the token game here or there as the planned punching bag for the 'other' team. Only to be told, or to tell ourselves, "Win and get the games. Don't win and deal with being treated like a loser." So, we finally won the big one. The reward? "Sorry, no nationally broadcast primetime games for you. You're too good and it's always a blowout." Man, that sure was right... I can't begin to tell you how exciting and compelling I've found the turd-fests being broadcast tonight, last night, last Thursday... FU, NFL/TV schedule morons!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Prime time games have been, for the most part, absolutely horrible this year. So yeah, screw you Rog and screw all your lackeys too.

kidhawk

Reaction score
What are you on about? We have FOUR scheduled prime time games this year. Sure we only have one at home, but we still have FOUR prime tiime games. We've had 2 already and are due 2 more (one at San Francisco and the other at Arizona).

To be honest, I'm glad they put our primetime games on the road. One thing this Seahawk team seems to do consistently is play LIGHTS OUT in prime time, whether it's on the road or at home. If we stay true to that, we get wins in Arizona and Santa Clara. That would be a HUGE boost towards another Super Bowl Ring.

253hawk

Reaction score
- Sunday Night Football games are being decided by an average of three touchdowns, by far the highest in history.

-More than half of all primetime games have been decided by 20 points or more.

-There has only been one fourth-quarter lead change in primetime since Week 2.

-Through Week 10, there have already been more 20+point blowouts in primetime than in the previous three seasons combined.

-Thursday Night Football games are being decided by 20.5 points per game, which is second-highest for any primetime slate of the past 25 seasons.

-Three of the four biggest blowouts of the season came in primetime games.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Thursday night games are anathema to Goodell's claims of safety first. They give the home team an enormous advantage. Yes, I would feel the same way if we played at home on Thursday as well.

Erebus

Reaction score
kidhawk":cuzch4vp said:
What are you on about? We have FOUR scheduled prime time games this year. Sure we only have one at home, but we still have FOUR prime tiime games. We've had 2 already and are due 2 more (one at San Francisco and the other at Arizona).

To be honest, I'm glad they put our primetime games on the road. One thing this Seahawk team seems to do consistently is play LIGHTS OUT in prime time, whether it's on the road or at home. If we stay true to that, we get wins in Arizona and Santa Clara. That would be a HUGE boost towards another Super Bowl Ring.

Thanks for bringing up that perspective. In the Pete Carroll era, we're 3-1 in prime time road games. The only loss was @ SF in 2012. Anything before the Pete Carroll era doesn't apply, because those were completely different teams.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
kidhawk":2fn8xlog said:

Well, prime time games are also fun for the fans, right? And it seems only reasonable that the fans of the champs get to be rewarded with at least half the team's night games in their own building. After all, without fans, there's no league.

Given our history with the league, having only one home game at night (and one they were obligated to give us) out of four (and why not five, btw? Isn't that what Super Bowl champs usually get allotted?) just feels like yet another slight from Goodell's offices. And when you throw in the idea that it's because the Hawks have blown people out at home, and they want more competitive games, it actually feels like a punishment for success, rather than a proper reward.

Are we too sensitive about these perceived slights? Probably.

sutz

Reaction score
I'll go on record as saying that there are too many prime time games. I didn't like it when NFLNetwork started regular Thursday night games over half the season, and I don't really like that they are running all season. I guess it's better that every team has to play on Thurs at least once, but yeah, the home advantage on Thurs is pretty dramatic.

HHawk121

Reaction score
scheduling us for 4 allows them the option to flex the late season drama into the spotlight.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
rjdriver":6pfwaace said:
Thursday night games are anathema to Goodell's claims of safety first. They give the home team an enormous advantage. Yes, I would feel the same way if we played at home on Thursday as well.

If they insist on continuing with Thursday night games I think they should:

1) Switch to multiple Thursday night games per week
2) Those games would only be played by teams that were on bye the previous week (this means no Thursday night at the beginning or end of the year outside of the first game of the year.)

I know this would make season scheduling more difficult (maybe even impossible?) but would essentially give each team two half bye weeks in a row and no playing on 4 days rest.

kidhawk

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":2dbu89kq said:
kidhawk":2dbu89kq said:

Well, prime time games are also fun for the fans, right? And it seems only reasonable that the fans of the champs get to be rewarded with at least half the team's night games in their own building. After all, without fans, there's no league.

Given our history with the league, having only one home game at night (and one they were obligated to give us) out of four (and why not five, btw? Isn't that what Super Bowl champs usually get allotted?) just feels like yet another slight from Goodell's offices. And when you throw in the idea that it's because the Hawks have blown people out at home, and they want more competitive games, it actually feels like a punishment for success, rather than a proper reward.

Are we too sensitive about these perceived slights? Probably.

I hear ya, but there are also fans who don't like home prime time games, because of their work schedule or dealing with extra traffic or parking or for whatever reason.

I really don't have a say being an out of town fan, I just care about wins and losses over everything else, and if we can pull off a few extra road wins due to having 3 out of 4 prime time games on the road, then I think it's a plus. Heck, even one win that may have been a loss had it not been in prime time could be the one game that propels us into a home field game in the playoffs. At least if we win the Super Bowl, the biggest prime time game of the year will be nearly guaranteed to be at home.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Bitter":3b63i971 said:
rjdriver":3b63i971 said:

If they insist on continuing with Thursday night games I think they should:

1) Switch to multiple Thursday night games per week
2) Those games would only be played by teams that were on bye the previous week (this means no Thursday night at the beginning or end of the year outside of the first game of the year.)

I know this would make season scheduling more difficult (maybe even impossible?) but would essentially give each team two half bye weeks in a row and no playing on 4 days rest.
I've thought this the only fair and safe way to do Thurs. games for a while too. Don't know if it's doable considering the number of teams and Thurs. nights, but it sure would be more fair and SAFER if it was. And the added bonus would be the quality of play on Thurs. night would increase dramatically IMO.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Why is Philly in so many primetime games? Did they win the SB last year?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
My conspiracy theory on all these TNF duds is the player's union got together before the season started and decided to draw straws for who was going to stink up each and ever week in order to not have to play these games anymore due to low blowout ratings.