Sean Gilbert for NFLPA President

pehawk

Reaction score
If this dude gets elected, I think Goodell and the owners will FINALLY have someone with a spine.

The NFLPA has been a joke for so long compared to other professional athlete's unions. Just a joke. And, the owners can get away with it because the majority of fans let their jealousy over athlete's income cloud common sense; "but they get paid MILLIONS to play a game...I have to really work...waaaaahhhh!"

Gilbert's using Goodell's own phoniness against him. Gilbert is using safety and player health as a means to rethink TNF (as one example). It's brilliant...Goodell has to play along like he actually gives a shit about the players, or ever did for that matter.

Here's his recent comments on TNF. He's had a lot of other good ideas come out over the past year as well.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... igt-games/

But Gilbert has other ideas. When it comes to Thursday night football, Gilbert wants to ensure that teams won’t be playing games only four days apart.

“I will never negotiate over the health and safety of our Players,” Gilbert said in an email to the media. “The health and safety of NFL Players is priceless and should be respected by both the Union and the Owners.

“We must recognize that the Thursday night package grows the game. However, I have had numerous players and agents express concern to me over the past few months about the health and safety of playing games on short rest.

“I will propose a solution to the problem by changing the scheduling of the season to make sure teams have a bye week before the Thursday night game. This will assure players have enough time to recover.”

Only one potential proposal would mesh with the current approach of playing every Thursday night. The byes would have to start in Week One, with the two teams set to launch Week Two sitting out the first Sunday, playing four days later, and getting some extra time before Week Three.

From 1999 through 2001, an odd number of franchises resulted in at least one team being on a bye every week of the season, so it wouldn’t be unprecedented to have byes every Sunday preceding every Thursday game, with six teams off on the weekend before Thanksgiving. It wouldn’t necessarily be bad; it would simply be different. It likely would make Howard Katz’s job of devising the schedule a bit more challenging, but it definitely would ensure that no one has to play a game on a Sunday and then on a Thursday.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
What's so special about Thursday night that football absolutely has to have a game? Couldn't they move to Friday night or Saturday night? That would allow another day or two. It's cool to play on Thanksgiving but other than that, it's always confused me with Thursday night being the choice night for games. I'd like to have a game each night of the week but that isn't happening anytime soon.

kidhawk

Reaction score
My personal solution to keeping Thursday games would be to:

add a second game, so you can have one in prime time on the east coast and one in prime time on the west coast.

Sell one of the games to CBS each week.

Have 4 teams get a bye week from weeks 1 through week 16 including Thanksgiving.

Make sure there is no bye in week 17 and no Thursday games for week 18, this way you put the playoff teams into the playoffs on a fairly level playing field.

Week 1 would open with each super bowl team getting a home thursday start.

If they could schedule something like this, it would work for both sides. Teams would get the extra bye and the league would get extra revenue in two ways. One by adding CBS full time to Thursday, the other by adding a week to the regular season, thereby getting additional advertising revenue and therefor more television money. Players would get an extra bye week and there would be no additional games played.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
My personal stance is to just get rid of the TNF package or go with Gilbert's idea and make sure every team has a bye prior too it. The selfish part of me LOVES TNF games. The empathetic part feels bad for putting the players through that. That's brutal.

kidhawk

Reaction score
pehawk":hwq7snnf said:
My personal stance is to just get rid of the TNF package or go with Gilbert's idea and make sure every team has a bye prior too it. The selfish part of me LOVES TNF games. The empathetic part feels bad for putting the players through that. That's brutal.

I'm not a fan either, mostly because I think it gives the home team a slightly higher advantage for those particular games. I don't know if it's statistically true, but it certainly would make sense.

I just don't see the NFL giving up the extra television revenue that the extra day gives them. This is why I think adding a week to the season and an extra game on Thursday night could work because they could then give every team 2 bye weeks and have the 4 teams from the bye play each other on Thursday the next week. It would mean a little more thinking to get the schedule to work, but it could be done, and would give the NFL more money while getting players extra rest before and after Thursday games.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":2o4sgypo said:
pehawk":2o4sgypo said:

I'm not a fan either, mostly because I think it gives the home team a slightly higher advantage for those particular games. I don't know if it's statistically true, but it certainly would make sense.

I just don't see the NFL giving up the extra television revenue that the extra day gives them. This is why I think adding a week to the season and an extra game on Thursday night could work because they could then give every team 2 bye weeks and have the 4 teams from the bye play each other on Thursday the next week. It would mean a little more thinking to get the schedule to work, but it could be done, and would give the NFL more money while getting players extra rest before and after Thursday games.

Ah, now I get it. Yeah, that's a good idea.

Gilbert also had a plan to give the owners an 18 game schedule as well. It included two byes and reduction of the preseason. The dude has some good ideas, really good ideas. And good ideas haven't exactly been coming from NFLPA desk since I've been alive.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawkfan68":15dcp2lq said:
What's so special about Thursday night that football absolutely has to have a game? Couldn't they move to Friday night or Saturday night? That would allow another day or two. It's cool to play on Thanksgiving but other than that, it's always confused me with Thursday night being the choice night for games. I'd like to have a game each night of the week but that isn't happening anytime soon.

Friday and Saturday are taboo because the NFL is trying not to overlap their pipelines...HS Football (Friday Night Lights) and Saturday College Football.

Have you ever noticed that the NFL never plays football games on Saturday until late in the year when all but Bowl Season is over in CFB?