49ers' Brooks pulls self from game

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Yeah saw this flashed but not much follow up on the media side. Expected this to be more of a story but it seems to be a "non issue". This is really a bad precedence for a really good NFL player. Big mistake for him.

His agent and himself will need some damage control on this but it looks like they will not have to do that much. IMO could have been a huge story for the press,, especially with Smith coming back but it did not catch fire. Keeps with my beliefs that editors have some kind of wired symmetry with each other. My guess is Brooks does not have much spark for low informative fans .

Popeyejones

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":362o8d04 said:
IMO could have been a huge story for the press,, especially with Smith coming back but it did not catch fire. Keeps with my beliefs that editors have some kind of wired symmetry with each other. My guess is Brooks does not have much spark for low informative fans .

It's on the sidebar on ESPN.

For it to be a bigger story it would take a combo of at least two of the following three things, IMO:

1) Brooks would have to be a bigger name

2) There would have to be a juicer quote from Harbaugh or Brooks than the "we're working through something" that both of them gave.

3) The 9ers would have to be better than 6-4 and on the outside looking in for the wild card race at this point in the year.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Brooks said he had words with defensive line coach Jim Tomsula and apologized to him and his teammates but disputed reports that he benched himself.

"It was an emotional reaction during the game, and I reacted out of my character," Brooks said. "I did not quit on the team; I did not take myself out of the game. But words that were said by me obviously couldn't be taken back. So they just decided to just not put me back in the game."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11904 ... unday-game

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Apparently he didn't pull himself. He basically cussed out the D-Line coach and got benched by him, if I'm understanding this correctly.

Still what a bitch. The best player plays. Brooks is no Aldon Smith, and Aaron Lynch has outplayed him this season. He better act like Alex Smith did in 2012 from here out or I suspect he's getting cut in the offseason.

HawkWow

Reaction score
This stuff is happening all too frequently these days. Players are spoiled beyond description and not smart enough to understand how small their window is / how fortunate they are. Harvin. Blount, Brooks and I'm sure there's several I'm missing / unaware of.

Action must be taken to protect both team and player. These guys didn't all make Harvin money. Punish them for their own betterment, if for no other reason.

I'm thinking of an old Lombardi story. The story goes Jim Ringo walked into Lombardi's office and said "coach, I'm the best center in the league and feel I deserve a raise...."

Lombardi interrupted and said.." hold that thought, there's something I need to do". A few minutes later Lombardi returned and asked Ringo to continue.

"Coach, I am the best center in the league and feel I've earned a raise".

Lombardi again interrupted and asked Ringo "so why are you telling me"?

Ringo of course said.. "because you're the coach and you make these decisions".

Lombardi said "Yes, but I'm not your coach. I just traded you to the Eagles".

Cold as ice, but Vince's point was "just be damn grateful you are a Green Bay Packer". These kids today need be reminded they should be damn grateful they play in the NFL (imo).

lucky49

Reaction score
HawkWow":36i5y6n3 said:
This stuff is happening all too frequently these days. Players are spoiled beyond description and not smart enough to understand how small their window is / how fortunate they are. Harvin. Blount, Brooks and I'm sure there's several I'm missing / unaware of.

Action must be taken to protect both team and player. These guys didn't all make Harvin money. Punish them for their own betterment, if for no other reason.

I'm thinking of an old Lombardi story. The story goes Jim Ringo walked into Lombardi's office and said "coach, I'm the best center in the league and feel I deserve a raise...."

Lombardi interrupted and said.." hold that thought, there's something I need to do". A few minutes later Lombardi returned and asked Ringo to continue.

"Coach, I am the best center in the league and feel I've earned a raise".

Lombardi again interrupted and asked Ringo "so why are you telling me"?

Ringo of course said.. "because you're the coach and you make these decisions".

Lombardi said "Yes, but I'm not your coach. I just traded you to the Eagles".

Cold as ice, but Vince's point was "just be damn grateful you are a Green Bay Packer". These kids today need be reminded they should be damn grateful they play in the NFL (imo).

is joe flacco elite

Popeyejones

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":260babi5 said:
Apparently he didn't pull himself. He basically cussed out the D-Line coach and got benched by him, if I'm understanding this correctly.

Still what a bitch. The best player plays. Brooks is no Aldon Smith, and Aaron Lynch has outplayed him this season. He better act like Alex Smith did in 2012 from here out or I suspect he's getting cut in the offseason.

Ehhh, losing your crap in the heat of the moment and getting benched by your position coach is better than just refusing to play for half of the game, IMO.

And not to defend his actions in cursing out Tomsula AT ALL, but I can understand (if not excuse) how it happened.

1) BROOKS:

He knows the team got close to trading him a couple weeks ago, and he also knows he's not going to see next year's paycheck as it currently stands. That he has a rookie outplaying him only cements that reality, which he could push aside before Aldon came back b/c both him and Lynch were taking all the snaps. This is also fresh off of a very redemtive and game/season saving play of his against the Saints last week. So, not excusing cursing out a coach at all, but I can understand the circumstances under which it happened.

2) TOMSULA:

A little piece of me is curious is Tomsula is also showing the front office he can be a hard@ss if need be. He has to know he's the penny-pinching inside candidate if Harbaugh leaves next year, and he only is so because he's well-liked by everybody.* It's possible he has heard rumblings that there are concerns he's not enough of a disciplinarian to run the team (which would be one of my many concerns about him, FWIW), so there was a little bit of showmanship/signaling to the FO when benched Brooks (which otherwise is pretty out of character for Tomsula, even though Brooks was acting like an idiot).

Just spitballing here (particularly about Tomsula -- thats all conjecture from start to finish), but it's a narrative that at least makes sense from both sides.

*REALLY not a good reason to promote someone to HC, but so it goes.