Huge overstep by Goodell

pehawk

Reaction score
Saying Adrian Peterson's previous suspension wasn't an actual suspension, Peterson agreed to it. So, Rog suspended him the rest of the year.

I'll post more disdain later, I'm on my phone, but once again Roger just makes something up as he goes.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Yeah, really ridiculous, and just Goodell throwing Peterson under the bus because he's gunshy about public criticism right now.

The NFLPA and NFL needs to have a formal policy in place, and they need to either rely on the legal system or not. This incredibly reactionary, decide-as-go approach is just at total mess.

I think the ideal solution is to rely on the legal system in adjudicating punishments, and leave it up to individual teams to decide to weather the storm of public condemnation or not in deciding to suspend players based on extra-legal circumstances or TBD legal circumstances. The league stepping just creates all kinds of problems. I understand why they want that control, but it should be done at the team level.

TBH though, my interpretation of this is also colored by some pretty strong beliefs about this incident and the handling of it that would probably be more appropriate in the shack.

GCrow

Reaction score
Yeah, this ruling looks pretty clearly like a violation of the CBA, and even more clear that the NFL is just making up decisions on the fly. Just another case in the long history of Goodell proving his incompetence.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I hear you Pj, I too have a hard time separating logic from emotion on this issue. But at least my internal struggle with the issue isn't reactionary drivel like Roger's.

homerun1970

Reaction score
I wish he would react to his own incompetence and take a lifetime ban from football. I don't agree with the way its highly subjective in what punishment he doles out, make a hard policy and follow it even if extremely strict people know what's coming.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
homerun1970":1859mt1l said:
I wish he would react to his own incompetence and take a lifetime ban from football. I don't agree with the way its highly subjective in what punishment he doles out, make a hard policy and follow it even if extremely strict people know what's coming.

This

mikeak

Reaction score
AP was PAID before. I think he should have the option of paying that back but it was not a true suspension

Secondly after Tice the league will err on the side of caution, get it overturned in Arbitration and say - we did all that we could. They tried to anticipate arbitration with the Rice suspension and well that kind of backfired...

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
mikeak":1kd8eep9 said:
AP was PAID before. I think he should have the option of paying that back but it was not a true suspension

Secondly after Tice the league will err on the side of caution, get it overturned in Arbitration and say - we did all that we could. They tried to anticipate arbitration with the Rice suspension and well that kind of backfired...

Mike Tice?

Yeah, maybe technically it wasn't a suspension. But, the NFL cant really go down any technicality path since they're literally making it up as they go. That's the issue...

Jville

Reaction score
Why get caught up in the emotion? Isn't Goodell is only mirroring the behavior of the US Justice Department? They pick a chose what they will address and make stuff up as they go ...... daily. It looks like another on going example of the tyranny of lawyers.

This tread should be destined for a move to the political forum ....... eventually.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Goodell needs to be removed from the process entirely. there needs to be some third party paid by both the NFL and NFLPA to oversee this stuff. Goodell has way too much power and there is no rhyme or reason to what he does.

This reminds me a bit of Aldons suspension in that his 5 games away in rehab last year were not factored in AND there was an option for him to come back 2 games early if he met requirements.

According to the NFLPA and his agent, he met those requirements and was not allowed to return early.

Not trying to make this a Niner thing...just an example.

Regardless of who it is...if the dude does the time and does what's agreed to he should be granted the reward he is promised. In APs case he said he left the game to deal with his situation. Not right that the Commish steps in an adds addition punishment.

I honestly don't know what's "fair" in terms of punishment...but I do think that's it's crystal clear that Goodells version of "fair" is faulty at best and is at it's core something he should never be involved in to begin with. Remove the controversy if for no other reason to take the stain off the commissioners office.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":39tb2x38 said:
Goodell needs to be removed from the process entirely. there needs to be some third party paid by both the NFL and NFLPA to oversee this stuff. Goodell has way too much power and there is no rhyme or reason to what he does.

This reminds me a bit of Aldons suspension in that his 5 games away in rehab last year were not factored in AND there was an option for him to come back 2 games early if he met requirements.

According to the NFLPA and his agent, he met those requirements and was not allowed to return early.

Not trying to make this a Niner thing...just an example.

Regardless of who it is...if the dude does the time and does what's agreed to he should be granted the reward he is promised. In APs case he said he left the game to deal with his situation. Not right that the Commish steps in an adds addition punishment.

I honestly don't know what's "fair" in terms of punishment...but I do think that's it's crystal clear that Goodells version of "fair" is faulty at best and is at it's core something he should never be involved in to begin with. Remove the controversy if for no other reason to take the stain off the commissioners office.

Word, good post.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Goodell is brilliant here. There is absolutely NO way any realistic suspension would go over with the general public. He suspends him and tells him to get help and then he can return. The Players Union files an immediate appeal. Goodell allows it to go to a neutral arbitrator, then whatever decision is made is out of his hands and removes any potential for a repeat of the Ray Rice episode.

Not to say Goodell isn't a complete ass, but he's a brilliant one.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":1nblerfl said:
Goodell is brilliant here. There is absolutely NO way any realistic suspension would go over with the general public. He suspends him and tells him to get help and then he can return. The Players Union files an immediate appeal. Goodell allows it to go to a neutral arbitrator, then whatever decision is made is out of his hands and removes any potential for a repeat of the Ray Rice episode.

Wow...never thought of that political strategy. Tip of the cap kidhawk, that's brilliant and true.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":2hazwy2x said:

I maybe mistaken as not a lawyer but the way I understand it is the agreed upon league policy for domestic violence is a base 6 game suspension which can then be adjusted as seen fit from there. Since he was not previously truly suspended as others posted, Ol' Rog throws the base 6 game suspension at him and as you say let the union and arbitration work it out. I hate Ol' Rog as much as the next guy but probably the smartest play by him as you say.

mikeak

Reaction score
pehawk":1uado7sy said:
kidhawk":1uado7sy said:

Wow...never thought of that political strategy. Tip of the cap kidhawk, that's brilliant and true.

Funny I wrote the same in less fancy words above..... :)

Guess my phone typo on Rice and Tice was more important

mikeak

Reaction score
Marvin49":1f5x86yz said:

The big difference vs Aldon is that he left the game and as I understand it was NOT paid during that time.

While correct that it wasn't a true suspension I do believe the loss of salary in Aldon's case should have been considered more than it was.

AP continued to earn money while not playing so he had no financial hardship from the episode until now

Ironically with AP he could probably have sat out the whole season with pay and then played next year. Instead he pushed to get reinstated, refused to show up to hearings and then got suspended without pay :)

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
mikeak":1xj4inb6 said:
pehawk":1xj4inb6 said:
kidhawk":1xj4inb6 said:

Funny I wrote the same in less fancy words above..... :)

Guess my phone typo on Rice and Tice was more important

No, you did. But, for whatever reason kids post illustrated the political "strategery" of Goodell himself.

themunn

Reaction score
I think the logic is fair. Remember, the Vikings chose to "unsuspend" him and then changed their mind in the midst of heavy criticism for not doing so. The NFL didn't at any point say he couldn't play.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think with any change of policy, it takes time to get the kinks out before it works as it was intended.

Unfortunately for the NFL because they stuck their head in the sand over domestic violence since the league's inception, the growing pains of this policy is out in the open for everyone to see.

The NFL needs some sort of independent disciplinary committee to handle this stuff, so Goodell doesn't just get to play judge and juror.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Many players will pay a heavy price for Roger completely boning the Ray Rice thing.

Aldon does as he should, Roger breaks the deal. Wasn't even domestic violence, but Roger is in the crosshairs for every single suspension right now.

What I don't get is how Roger telling clubs to de-activate specific players without actually having suspended them is anything but a violation of anti-trust. It was not bargained, and the NFL's primary defense of Anti Trust exemption has been that they are 32 independent clubs. Who do whatever Roger tells them.