Split screen / PIP...some help?

HawkWow

Reaction score
Unsure if this varies dependent on service provider (I'm with Direct TV), but is there a way to split the screen allowing both screens to be equal, filling out the entire half of either side of the TV (Sony Bravia)?

Kinda ridiculous having to watch each side no more than 66% of it's respective side.

rideaducati

Reaction score
HawkWow":3jduzzeb said:
Unsure if this varies dependent on service provider (I'm with Direct TV), but is there a way to split the screen allowing both screens to be equal, filling out the entire half of either side of the TV (Sony Bravia)?

Kinda ridiculous having to watch each side no more than 66% of it's respective side.

If there is, you have to go into the tv's menu to change the size. Most tv's don't allow split screen.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
Tried that bro. But appreciate it just the same. I just can't understand why it has to be this way. Maybe because the picture would be more tall than wide? Only thing that makes sense to me. Not overly enjoyable in this format. Albeit necessary this day.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3otefiuh said:
Yeah I'm in the same boat with Direc bro. You'd think they could fill both sides. Better than nothing I suppose.

The part that bugs me most is not knowing why this is, SD1. I assume it's because the images would be too tall and if that's the case, they probably have it formatted in the most optimum way right now. But they could sure give us the option so we could at least see for ourselves, lol.

Damn good day thus far without our hawks even seeing the field. Philly will have their hands full big time now.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Yeah, you're probably right about aspect ratio looking like shit if filled the screen to the top......all stretched up.

Pats within 2 of the Pack!! A win by them and it's everything we could've hoped for today as Hawks fans.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
mikeak":2dy4y6pa said:
You can do insert but not adjust size or location of PIP which is dumb.

You might be able to do so inside the TV itself, Mike. Dependent of the cable / sat system. Sorry to learn you and SD1 are experiencing the same crap. Really un-fun to watch.

Back up to 5 SD1...but that is more than doable for Mr. Dreamboat and co. Let's see an 8 minute drive ending with the TD!

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":13tzz2lk said:
ivotuk":13tzz2lk said:
Yeah you do. It's worth it man. Record/watch up to 5 shows. Watch recorded stuff in any room. They use your home wireless network to do it so you'll have to have that in place.

And be sure they set you up with everything while there and while you're negotiating the deal. You may find out you need yet another box, aside from the main set top and genie. It will cost you another $100 and also more monthly. Let us know if you need more information, Ivotuk.

mikeak

Reaction score
The genie is awesome. I have four TVs in the basement and can now run four different games. I do wish the box would allow me to move the PIP box around but minor issue

One issue for those with multiple TVs in one location. I used to split my regular box into two HDMI feeds and two component feeds. All TVs were 100% synced.
Genie uses mini-genies to convert at locations besides the primary. Issue with that is that your pictures (and bigger - sounds) will not be synced. So I will have to manually try to sync them up for the Super Bowl. Done it on a trial basis and worked for two TVs. Will be a bit tougher with four....

LargentFan

Reaction score
You can change the way PIP works on the genie. It can be in any corner or side by side. PIP is only available on the main genie receiver.

Hawkwow, the genie is your main set-top box. You need a client or "mini genie" in each other room you want to have tv.

Syncing the clients to the server is somewhat of a pain in the ass. I don't have any wisdom for you there. You might try setting the game to record, then starting up the recording at all locations. Then back up to the beginning of the recording and starting them all simultaneously. The real best answer, though, is an hdmi splitter that just feeds one signal to all tvs.

mikeak

Reaction score
LargentFan":8ca5tx6b said:
You can change the way PIP works on the genie. It can be in any corner or side by side. PIP is only available on the main genie receiver.

Hawkwow, the genie is your main set-top box. You need a client or "mini genie" in each other room you want to have tv.

Syncing the clients to the server is somewhat of a pain in the ass. I don't have any wisdom for you there. You might try setting the game to record, then starting up the recording at all locations. Then back up to the beginning of the recording and starting them all simultaneously. The real best answer, though, is an hdmi splitter that just feeds one signal to all tvs.

1) Yep the corner or side-by-side is nice. Issue with the corner is that it is way above the corner. I get issues with overscan but they went way conservative. It would be supernice to be able to resize and move the PIP box around using the genie box. That would make it awesome

I have used the side-by-side when there was a semi-decent game on in the morning and then the redzone channel on the other screen. then flip sound based on what I am seeing. Works pretty nice but helps to have it on a 110 inch screen :)

The syncing - the main genie is ahead so I simply hit the pause button and then quickly play. Takes a few attempts but then then it gets right.

I had not thought about recording on each one and then starting at the same time. That is a real nice idea. Then you can really get it right. You can frame by frame it to the exact same spot then start them all at the exact same time. Then hypotetically you can hit the 30sec jump forward button on them all the same number of time to catch up to almost real-time

Thanks for the idea!

LargentFan

Reaction score
I've worked for DirecTV for five years. If any of you have other questions, I'm happy to help.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
LargentFan":2h6iv8uq said:
I've worked for DirecTV for five years. If any of you have other questions, I'm happy to help.

Great info..L80. Much appreciated. I thought the Genie was the small box all this time. I just got another one of the small ones.

I still can't get the PIP to fill the entire screen on either side. Before these TVs got so friking huge, I constantly had 2 TVs side by side in both LR and MBR. Not practical now because they are so big (not complaining).

I just can't believe how cheap large TVs have become. My first ever flat screen, I bought for the 05 SB. It was a pioneer and IIRC, around $9,000. I think it was only 54" (?). 30 minutes before kick off, just 5 days old, it died! Fortunately I had a couple engineers from the station at the party and they quickly determined it was the tuner and somehow rigged it thru a VCR, IIRC.

Then the day got worse. lol.

I just can't believe what they are doing with TVs today. The Sonys I have now, the pictures are so incredibly life like, that they make me uncomfortable. I found a setting that makes them less life like and I'm much happier about it.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
LargentFan":2bzbwf4v said:
HawkWow":2bzbwf4v said:
LargentFan":2bzbwf4v said:

Great info..L80.

You're welcome, but I'm not L80.

I call everyone that.

J/K. Sorry about that bro. Largent 80 is another guy that knows a ton about Direct TV. He's offered advice on the subject before and..well, I just blew it this time. Thanks again.