How often are only 10 men on the field?

tom sawyer

Reaction score
I'm not that observant, I doubt most of the commentators are either. But since occasionally through miscommunication 12 men are "caught" on the field. While it's not a penalty, I can only imagine from time to time there are fewer than 11.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Any standout plays that may have resulted from such a faux pas?

kidhawk

Reaction score
tom sawyer":2cdkxcj5 said:
I'm not that observant, I doubt most of the commentators are either. But since occasionally through miscommunication 12 men are "caught" on the field. While it's not a penalty, I can only imagine from time to time there are fewer than 11.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Any standout plays that may have resulted from such a faux pas?

We blocked a punt against the Cardinals when they only had 10 guys on the field. The 11th guy was supposed to be Shead's man, but when he wasn't there, Shead took the opportunity to rush the punter and blocked it. It resulted in Arizona recovering, but not getting a 1st down when Helfet pretty much body slammed the guy who recovered it.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
lucky49":1itbmrjg said:
is it not a penalty to have ten men?

Yes. The penalty is usually a timeout sacrificed or a big play given up as a direct cause of stupidity.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Having too few players on the field could be a penalty if the team violated a formation rule because of it. Otherwise, it is just a bonehead mistake.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
DTexHawk":14lmmrfb said:
[youtube]r_kH_9HzFJA[/youtube]
Was watching this game live. MNF if I remember correctly.

Still hate Dorsett for his public refusal to play for the Seahawks. I'd have drafted his ass and let him hold out and lose money for a year just to make a stand.

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3nsiy6ai said:
DTexHawk":3nsiy6ai said:

Still hate Dorsett for his public refusal to play for the Seahawks. I'd have drafted his ass and let him hold out and lose money for a year just to make a stand.

Vikings won the game.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":lk0ebpw9 said:
DTexHawk":lk0ebpw9 said:

I was like 7 yrs old when that trade happened ,I don't recall anything that said he refused to play for us..I do remember we got a few players and pick(s) ..One of those players was Zorny,maybe thats part of why I didn't really care for the guy..Dorsett was ours..You just don't trade a back like that.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
IndyHawk":qcvzy7lr said:
hawksfansinceday1":qcvzy7lr said:
DTexHawk":qcvzy7lr said:

I was like 7 yrs old when that trade happened ,I don't recall anything that said he refused to play for us..I do remember we got a few players and pick(s) ..One of those players was Zorny,maybe thats part of why I didn't really care for the guy..Dorsett was ours..You just don't trade a back like that.
Sorry but we did not get Zorn as part of the deal. He was with the franchise as the starting QB in season one ('76) and the trade happened before the draft following the Hawks' first season in the Spring of '77. As for Dorsett, he made it abundantly clear prior to the draft if the Hawks drafted him he wouldn't sign with them and would instead hold out. Other old-timers here can verify this. Hawks had the #2 pick in the draft and it was widely known that Tampa Bay coach John McKay was set on taking Rickey Bell, RB from USC that had played there for McKay.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Well my memory was wrong..I was going from what I always believed but stand corrected..

coach78

Reaction score
Usually happens on special teams or a quick transition. Especially if a ST player is dinged up. The communication to make sure that the backup is aware of the injury takes a little work. If it happens right before the play, or the injured player doesn't communicate what specials he's on, it can look like a cluster.