Refs...

pehawk

Reaction score
Chiefs we're driving, about ready to go up 21-9, and seal it. What happens?

Chiefs get a TD to a wide open TE in the end zone. A ref then flew a flag, after the TD had been caught, calling an OPI nullifing the TD. The flag came out a good second after the TD, from back of the end zone, on a TE/LB contact not even involved in the pass and catch. The contact wasn't in the line of sight for the ref to see it AND the penalty had actually occurred a second before the TD.

A ref waited to throw a flag based on whether KC was going to score. The refs were going to keep giving the Cards chances.

No way was anything going to get in the way of NBC having two straight weeks of division deciding games. No way. The refs let Seattle play today too, of course they did, Philly v Dallas next Sunday night.

I hate typing shit like that. Kind of depressing. Buffalo got screwed today too, blatant momentum killers.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Only makes the eventual Super Bowl victory all the more satisfying.

That's what I keep telling myself when I'm ready to throw the remote control at the TV, at least.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Refs gave the Indianapolis Lucks a couple of ridiculously huge breaks today, too; but it's not like that doesn't happen almost every week for them.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
pehawk":1tky2fix said:
Chiefs we're driving, about ready to go up 21-9, and seal it. What happens?

Chiefs get a TD to a wide open TE in the end zone. A ref then flew a flag, after the TD had been caught, calling an OPI nullifing the TD. The flag came out a good second after the TD, from back of the end zone, on a TE/LB contact not even involved in the pass and catch. The contact wasn't in the line of sight for the ref to see it AND the penalty had actually occurred a second before the TD.

A ref waited to throw a flag based on whether KC was going to score. The refs were going to keep giving the Cards chances.

No way was anything going to get in the way of NBC having two straight weeks of division deciding games. No way. The refs let Seattle play today too, of course they did, Philly v Dallas next Sunday night.

I hate typing shit like that. Kind of depressing. Buffalo got screwed today too, blatant momentum killers.
They did this last year too. Hawks got hosed at the stick with the Crabtree fumble. Teams running away with their division isn't good business for the NFL, unless it's a "legacy team".

ivotuk

Reaction score
KC got screwed on that. Just saw it on ESPN and Tom Jackson didn't like it. What BS. That call was indefensible.

Largent80

Reaction score
While the refs were kinder /gentler to the Hawks today, did you see Kelley in their faces after EVERY friggin play?

I was actually laughing at the guy because WE are usually on the other end. They also made some crappy calls against us, but I want to watch it again today.

I was also watching that KC game, and they had that game iced right there but that ref threw the flag, like you said WAY after the play was over. The NFL isn't getting the message about refs evidently.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3600rn2o said:
Two refs literally did a fist bump celebrating a TD by the Donkeys yesterday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... 06729.html

So, who wants to come in and say the ref are neutral now? They're literally celebrating a Denver TD. Gee, do you think the league wants that Super Bowl for Pey Pey or what?

The fist bump was plain dumb, but I didnt take too much offense. But that game was all about Denver , apparently. Some flat out bizarre calls which killed momentum for the Bills. Brutal.

I hate even thinking this. I read an article which pointed out that last year the Bills played 6 games vs teams coming off the bye. Patriots played none. It was a detailed article showing how smaller market teams have to deal with that type of scheduling every year.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Even Peter King didn't like the referees calls in the KC/AZ game.

"It is inconceivable that [referee Craig] Wrolstad could be 100 percent that Kelce had lost possession before his knee contacted the ground. The replay center has worked well this year and improved the consistency of replay reviews overall-without question. But that call in Arizona was a major gaffe ... and the Chiefs will have a beef if this game costs them a playoff berth."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/j ... ailsignout

Jamal Charles: "The running back pegged the close loss squarely on the refs, who made two controversial calls."

Andy Reid: ""I can't comment on the officials," he said in his postgame news conference. "We all have to do our jobs and do them to the best of our ability. Go on to something else, besides the officials. I don't have anything good to say.""

Largent80

Reaction score
ivotuk":2kj93yqb said:

"It is inconceivable that [referee Craig] Wrolstad could be 100 percent that Kelce had lost possession before his knee contacted the ground. The replay center has worked well this year and improved the consistency of replay reviews overall-without question. But that call in Arizona was a major gaffe ... and the Chiefs will have a beef if this game costs them a playoff berth."

Jamal Charles: "The running back pegged the close loss squarely on the refs, who made two controversial calls."

Andy Reid: ""I can't comment on the officials," he said in his postgame news conference. "We all have to do our jobs and do them to the best of our ability. Go on to something else, besides the officials. I don't have anything good to say.""

So he is praising the replay center and didn't see the Rams-Hawks game where they didn't even replay an obvious fumble..Which cost us the game and possibly HFA in the playoffs.

SMDH...... :141847_bnono:

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":1dskseh3 said:

I wish the flag calling back the TD would be the call getting scrutiny. If you showed it to a person who doesn't know football, at all, they'd guess the ref threw the flag BECAUSE KC scored a TD. The flag wasn't thrown after the supposed OPI. IMO, that was the more egregious error.

Jville

Reaction score
Graph0

See that blue dot to the left of the redskins dot and just outside the 2 standard deviation ellipse?

That is where the Arizona Cardinals were sitting with the referees going into this past weekend.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
For the record, a SF radio show was hypothesizing that the refs wanted that Cards v Rams game to be pristine for NBC. A loss to the Chiefs and what will happen Thursday to the Cards, would've made the Cards 9-5 heading into that SNF game.

I knew if Dallas won the Hawks would get the calls in Philly. Made too much sense for NBC.

summesm

Reaction score
I hate the conspiracy theories and didn't believe in them but wow its getting hard to ignore. starting to see strange calls every week that really decides games. yesterdays chiefs game was down right horrible just not the OPI but to change that call on field from a non call fumble on field to a fumble wow . chiefs got the screws yesterday and probly cost them a playoff spot and keep Arizona a game up on the seahawks .

sutz

Reaction score
Largent80":21r8w1az said:
While the refs were kinder /gentler to the Hawks today, did you see Kelley in their faces after EVERY friggin play?

I was actually laughing at the guy because WE are usually on the other end. They also made some crappy calls against us, but I want to watch it again today.

I was also watching that KC game, and they had that game iced right there but that ref threw the flag, like you said WAY after the play was over. The NFL isn't getting the message about refs evidently.
All other things considered, I was thinking this would work against Kelly. They showed him numerous times, always jawing at the ref. I couldn't help but imagine the ref was thinking, "Screw this, you want calls, coach, here ya go," and completely going "off script."

:laugh:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Until the NFL has some real power and control over the refs, there's nothing that can be done.

Like any union, they can't fire these guys, they can't fine them, they can't even discipline them. All they can do is "rate them" after each game and shuffle them around or banish the bad crews who score poorly to a Jag's game.

Some of these guys are in their freaking 60's! How the hell are they suppose to keep up with the lightning quick pace of a NFL game?

Letting the refs unionize and bargain was the worst thing the NFL could have ever done.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":39dtn3tj said:
Until the NFL has some real power and control over the refs, there's nothing that can be done.

Like any union, they can't fire these guys, they can't fine them, they can't even discipline them. All they can do is "rate them" after each game and shuffle them around or banish the bad crews who score poorly to a Jag's game.

Some of these guys are in their freaking 60's! How the hell are they suppose to keep up with the lightning quick pace of a NFL game?

Letting the refs unionize and bargain was the worst thing the NFL could have ever done.
As someone who's been a union employee for over 25 years, I can tell you that a case can be built for termination of an employee based on poor job performance. If the NFL wanted to hold these guys accountable, they could and would. They choose not to.
Feel free to blame poor officiating on "the union" if you'd like, but unless there's language in their labor agreement that states they cannot be terminated based on job performance, which is highly unlikely, you'd be incorrect in blaming the union for shit refs still working in the NFL. And furthermore, you very likely do not know the language of said contract so this quite possibly is nothing more than a personal anti-union bias on your part.

I'd love to drop in a bunch of stuff about unions here, but that type of discussion belongs in the PWR forum, not here. I will tell you that despite many years as a member, I see them realistically. In other words, there are good and bad aspects to them.