Niners Coaching Situation?

SPOHAWK

Reaction score
Not a Harbaugh fan AT ALL....but if he is gone next year after all the Balke crap and the owners embarassing not just him but the players on Twitter....would you really want to coach for this organization, knowing you could be put out on blast by management?.....

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SPOHAWK":2ciagm6a said:
Not a Harbaugh fan AT ALL....but if he is gone next year after all the Balke crap and the owners embarassing not just him but the players on Twitter....would you really want to coach for this organization, knowing you could be put out on blast by management?.....

You're talking about Jed York tweeting a couple weeks ago that the loss was unacceptable? Many of the players and even Harbaugh said the exact same thing.

I think you're catastrophizing what is essentially a non-issue (or maybe just hoping for the worst, or simply concern trolling the 9ers fans here).

I think (for a lot of reasons, none of which I think are good reasons) they'll make the mistake of promoting Tomsula, but almost every thing is in the plus column in terms of someone wanting to coach that team:

PLUS COLUMN:

*Lots of talent and recent success
*A GM with a very good reputation around the league
*One of the most desirable locations in the U.S.
*A historical prestige franchise in the NFL
*A new stadium and lots of revenue flowing in.

MINUS COLUMN:

*An internally strong GM (people who want GM/Coach control won't be interested)
*A young owner who isn't part of the old boys club with pull in the league offices (probably not that big of a factor, but worth noting)

Also worth saying that I think the organization --justifiably or not -- is a ittle bit insulated from what's happening, as Harbaugh is the one with a now longer history of being blamed for causing internal conflict. It happened at USD, it happened at Stanford, and it happened with the 9ers. Simply put, even if York, Baalke, and Paraag are really a three headed Cerberus guarding the gates of Hell, Harbaugh is going to get blamed for it given his reputation.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Popeyejones":9711njrm said:
SPOHAWK":9711njrm said:

You're talking about Jed York tweeting a couple weeks ago that the loss was unacceptable? Many of the players and even Harbaugh said the exact same thing.

I think you're catastrophizing what is essentially a non-issue (or maybe just hoping for the worst, or simply concern trolling the 9ers fans here).

I think (for a lot of reasons, none of which I think are good reasons) they'll make the mistake of promoting Tomsula, but almost every thing is in the plus column in terms of someone wanting to coach that team:

PLUS COLUMN:

MINUS COLUMN:

*A young owner who isn't part of the old boys club with pull in the league offices (probably not that big of a factor, but worth noting)

Also worth saying that I think the organization --justifiably or not -- is a ittle bit insulated from what's happening, as Harbaugh is the one with a now longer history of being blamed for causing internal conflict. It happened at USD, it happened at Stanford, and it happened with the 9ers. Simply put, even if York, Baalke, and Paraag are really a three headed Cerberus guarding the gates of Hell, Harbaugh is going to get blamed for it given his reputation.

Baalke got his reputation as being good on one draft. Since then, his reputation as being good is only because of that one draft, but in reality, his drafts since have not been good. The niners are and will continue to get worse with every player Baalke replaces.

His first draft looks more and more like it was McCloughan's. His second draft was all about Baalke and all of those players are no longer on the team. Now, Baalke is upset because Harbaugh is getting more credit than he is so he's gonna run him out of town.

I'm looking forward to Baalke hiring a "yes" man that no one has ever heard of. Baalke wants more credit and he will get it in the way of a pink slip after next season. By then, the credit he got for being good will start to go where it belongs... To McCloughan.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
rideaducati":1xxrwevk said:
Baalke got his reputation as being good on one draft. Since then, his reputation as being good is only because of that one draft, but in reality, his drafts since have not been good. The niners are and will continue to get worse with every player Baalke replaces.

I wasn't making a statement on Baalke's quality as a GM. As a statement of fact Baalke receives near-universal praise as a good GM by NFL participants and analysts, despite everyone acknowledging that 2012 was a lost year. That could change and it could not change. it could be true and it could not be true. It doesn't change the fact that it is believed and has to go in the plus column for coach recruitiment (save for the example of a potential hire wanting total control).

Now, Baalke is upset because Harbaugh is getting more credit than he is so he's gonna run him out of town.

Not sure where you're getting your insight into the inner-workings of Trent Baalke's mind and why Harbaugh is likely not going to be retained, but if you have a source it's newsworthy, so you might want to want to pass the info a long.

FWIW a monkey wrench in your insider source reporting is that the 9ers offered Harbaugh extensions both last summer and the summer before, which he turned down. It doesn't really fit the Baalke-as-black-widow narrative you're deploying.

I'm looking forward to Baalke hiring a "yes" man that no one has ever heard of. Baalke wants more credit and he will get it in the way of a pink slip after next season. By then, the credit he got for being good will start to go where it belongs... To McCloughan.

Maybe, maybe not. And if so maybe the same thing will happen with Schneider and Carroll, and the drunk genius of McCloughan will finally be recognized. :lol: Declarative statements about the future are fun. ;)

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ Luckily it's just Florio re-reporting rather than "reporting" himself (meaning it MIGHT be true :) ), but that's my guess as well, although I think it would be a big mistake, albeit an unfortunately predictable one for several reasons. .

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":5ggap8yy said:
Popeyejones":5ggap8yy said:
SPOHAWK":5ggap8yy said:

PLUS COLUMN:

MINUS COLUMN:

His first draft looks more and more like it was McCloughan's. His second draft was all about Baalke and all of those players are no longer on the team. Now, Baalke is upset because Harbaugh is getting more credit than he is so he's gonna run him out of town.

LOL!!

Man...do me a favor.

DON'T. EVER. CHANGE.

RationalNiner

Reaction score
If JH is gone, my ideal situation is we make Vic Fangio the HC or we keep him on as a DC and bring Mike Holmgren as a the HC. Fangio can run the defense and Holmgren will greatly improve the offense, and him being part of our glory years is just icing on the cake for me as I think we could use someone from that time period. He will also greatly help make the organization look more classy as a whole.

How would you Hawk fans feel if we hired Holmgren?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
RationalNiner":1u0d3po0 said:
Hrm. That's a good question. I don't know; I wouldn't like it, but past that, I'm really not sure.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
SPOHAWK":1y5jcqc0 said:

Absolutely.

If I were a college HC or a coordinator looking to move up, the only jobs out there that would I would be hesitant to take are the Dallas, Oakland, and Washington jobs.

chris98251

Reaction score
Holmgren and Martz are both Coaching a game after the College season, call it scratching a itch for Holmgren but Oakland and or S..C. could be destinations for him, McKenzie as GM has Packer ties, 49ers we know that history. The big obstacle would be say in player personal, he got burned by Ruskell, I am sure he will want some control, who will give it to him.

RationalNiner

Reaction score
chris98251":g8u0vcuv said:
he got burned by Ruskell, I am sure he will want some control, who will give it to him.

Yeah Ruskell was absolutely terrible. He ruined your team after the 05 run but luckily you guys got Pete Carroll to rebuild the team. I wish he was still your GM or whatever his title was :D

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
RationalNiner":3t4wi735 said:
Yeah Ruskell was absolutely terrible. He ruined your team after the 05 run but luckily you guys got Pete Carroll to rebuild the team. I wish he was still your GM or whatever his title was :D
His title was 49ers GM, but he worked from our building...All makes sense now, it was sabotage!!

Maulbert

Reaction score
RationalNiner":2jui3ke4 said:

Well, that's one way to keep this rivalry going. I get the feeling Holmgren is of 2 minds on coaching. I think he enjoys retirement, but at the same time, that itch never went away. I could totally believe that if any team could get him back in the game, it's the niners, though I think he'd still like control. Between Whitsitt, Ruskell, and Haslam, I think he believes he's gotten a raw deal on the talent evaluation side (I still think he can't find a good defensive player to save his life).

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Maulbert":23mkjk5r said:
RationalNiner":23mkjk5r said:

Well, that's one way to keep this rivalry going. I get the feeling Holmgren is of 2 minds on coaching. I think he enjoys retirement, but at the same time, that itch never went away. I could totally believe that if any team could get him back in the game, it's the niners, though I think he'd still like control. Between Whitsitt, Ruskell, and Haslam, I think he believes he's gotten a raw deal on the talent evaluation side (I still think he can't find a good defensive player to save his life).

I couldn't not cheer for Holmgren. I don't believe in eating our own and this man gave his heart and soul to this city, even if he dons the ketchup and mustard.

The Niners organization is too stupid to hire a man like him. Jed York is a pimped up princess that will run that organization into the ground. How they dismissed the Debartolo's was disgraceful and they were lucky to back into Harbaugh. Stanford didn't give a crap about retaining him and the Niner's should be careful what they wish for. The wheels came off the track this year when they made him a lame duck coach. It was evident that it was going to be a distraction. It wouldn't have mattered if Willis and Bowman were playing, Kaepernick has regressed to the point where you wonder if he is even going to be in the league in two years.

Marvin49

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":1ic1f4pg said:
Maulbert":1ic1f4pg said:
RationalNiner":1ic1f4pg said:

I couldn't not cheer for Holmgren. I don't believe in eating our own and this man gave his heart and soul to this city, even if he dons the ketchup and mustard.

The Niners organization is too stupid to hire a man like him. Jed York is a pimped up princess that will run that organization into the ground. How they dismissed the Debartolo's was disgraceful and they were lucky to back into Harbaugh. Stanford didn't give a crap about retaining him and the Niner's should be careful what they wish for. The wheels came off the track this year when they made him a lame duck coach. It was evident that it was going to be a distraction. It wouldn't have mattered if Willis and Bowman were playing, Kaepernick has regressed to the point where you wonder if he is even going to be in the league in two years.

uh....I think you need a history lesson.

Jed IS a DeBartolo. His mother is Denise DeBartolo-York, Eddies sister. Eddie is Jed's Uncle and confidant. Eddie got in legal trouble and handed over the team. Yorks didn't "DISMISS" anyone. DId ya notice when the 49ers won the NFCCG in Atlanta who was standing with Jed and Denise in the post-game celebration? That was EDDIE.

Run it into the ground? It was IN the ground when Jed took over. It's where it is now BECAUSE of Jed. Too stupid to hire Holmgren? Really? Was he too stupid to hire Harbaugh? Was he too stupid to get the first NFL stadium built in California in 50 years?

Stick to speaking of that which you know, because the 49ers Front Office isn't one of those topics.

Now if you wanna lambaste JOHN York, then I'll be right there with ya.