Is this why the Cardinals have had so many injuries?

Maulbert

Reaction score

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Studies are showing that stretching isn't significantly beneficial in avoiding injuries. Warm-ups, however, are. So, no I don't think that's the problem. It's comes down to bad luck.

ringless

Reaction score
I actually read a study for runners that it can actually cause slower times as well, and that there is no proof stretching reduces injuries which makes sense from an evolutionary stand point. If we had to stretch before being chased by a Sabre tooth tiger back in the day it wouldn't seem beneficial

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Trrrroy":38rf3x7k said:
Studies are showing that stretching isn't significantly beneficial in avoiding injuries. Warm-ups, however, are. So, no I don't think that's the problem. It's comes down to bad luck.
More than that; there's strong evidence that stretching increases your chances of injury.

A

Anonymous

So, it's not a stretch to say, that a stretcher performing static-stretching might end up on a stretcher faster than a stretcher utilizing the dynamic-stretching technique.

Who knew?

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
ringless":uy28tgee said:
I actually read a study for runners that it can actually cause slower times as well, and that there is no proof stretching reduces injuries which makes sense from an evolutionary stand point. If we had to stretch before being chased by a Sabre tooth tiger back in the day it wouldn't seem beneficial
In the training for my 30 marathons, I only stretch after a run.
about 60 miles a week.

byau

Reaction score
Yes very true. Stretching loosens up ligaments. Great for recovery, not good if you're about to participate in a workout and you are more susceptible to injury

Pre-workout: get the blood flowing: light exercise, light stretching (not stretching for flexibility, stretching to just get the blood flowing), etc..

Post-workout: stretching for recovery

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Maulbert":obk7lgl4 said:
Palmer
Dockett
Ellington
Mathieu
Cromartie
Fitzgerald
Stanton

Call me unconvinced.
Palmer. ACL. Had it before too.
Dockett. Aging DL.
Ellington. Undersized RB asked to carry big guy load.
Mathieu. Hurt his hand. How do you stretch you hands?
Cromartie. Getting up there in age as well.
Fitz. Aging.
Stanton is as fit as a Hippo.

I'm not saying you are totally wrong, but there are pretty good reasons each guy might be hurt besides stretching.

Like one of the posters above, I run every day. Then workout. The run is my stretch and my warmup. In the last 6 months I had one injury. I skipped my run, didn't want to lift weights cold, so I stretched. Got hurt doing goddam stretches.
I'm not saying stretching is bad, it's great for flexibility. Yoga is all about getting a good stretch. But it isn't like Arians just decided he hates stretching, so none of that shit anymore. There is some documented proof it isn't needed.

Largent80

Reaction score
When I was a kid I used to go to EVERY Angels game that Nolan Ryan pitched. I saw all of his home no-hitters.

I also saw him do the most rigorous stretching regimen of any athlete I have ever seen, and as you know he pitched well into his 40's at a high level.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
Largent80":151ix5o9 said:
When I was a kid I used to go to EVERY Angels game that Nolan Ryan pitched. I saw all of his home no-hitters.

I also saw him do the most rigorous stretching regimen of any athlete I have ever seen, and as you know he pitched well into his 40's at a high level.

Throwing a baseball 100+ mph, 90-100 pitches, trumps any and every other muscle function in sports.
The stress on their joints, muscles and tendons is crazy. Can't really compare that to any other sport or position.

Largent80

Reaction score
He did way more leg/body stretching than anything in the upper body, because if you know anything about pitching the legs are just as important as the arm.

And it most certainly DOES apply in baseball, or any sport.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1trf3w0f said:
Like one of the posters above, I run every day. Then workout. The run is my stretch and my warmup. In the last 6 months I had one injury. I skipped my run, didn't want to lift weights cold, so I stretched. Got hurt doing goddam stretches.
I'm not saying stretching is bad, it's great for flexibility. Yoga is all about getting a good stretch. But it isn't like Arians just decided he hates stretching, so none of that shit anymore. There is some documented proof it isn't needed.

The vast majority of athletics programs, including both I've been involved with, stretch before every practice and every workout as a team. Every gym class, every weight training class, too. I've had a couple of personal trainers, both stressed stretching both before AND after a workout.

But the funny thing is, when I go to the gym, I see 30 other people working out, most of them quite dedicated and built, and I swear I have never seen any of them stretching. It's interesting to me how the ultra serious types carrying around gallons of water while they lift and adhering to super strict diets and routines would not stretch since they are so disciplined about everything else. Point being, they know what they are doing, and they don't bother stretching.

In my experience, I've suffered some shoulder and leg injuries lifting because I didn't stretch. I think this is one of those things where some people need it and others don't.

A

Anonymous

volsunghawk":1ej7dgoq said:
HoustonHawk82":1ej7dgoq said:
So, it's not a stretch to say, that a stretcher performing static-stretching might end up on a stretcher faster than a stretcher utilizing the dynamic-stretching technique.

Who knew?

You should feel bad about yourself for this one.

Maybe I should have limbered-up first?