Justin Blackmon

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/...ld-try-to-trade-justin-blackmon-in-offseason/

Apparently he's been out of rehab for a few months now, and reports are that he is in good health.

The article above suggests Jaguars should trade him and name drops Seattle as a team who could take a risk on him.

Honestly, if all it costs was a 7th round pick I think we should take a chance. That guy was ridiculously good for the few games he played in the league. I think just like Marshawn, a change of scenery for Blackmon, especially to a veteran team like ours, next season could make him an interesting turnaround candidate.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
He has really messed up, but I have to suspect there'd be pretty stiff competition (from somewhere around the neighborhood of about 31 teams) to get him for a 7th round pick. I'd guess teams would start dropping out around 4th or 5th round compensation, with a high 3rd or low 4th getting it done (assuming they actually want to move him).

Gordon is a better talent but was in a similar boat, and the Browns were still backing out at offered 2nd rounders to move him (and this was BEFORE he exploded as one of the top talents at his position in the league, if not the most talented IMO --- given what he was able to do without a QB, other receiving weapons, or run game to really speak of).

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I think he's due nearly $6m from the Jags next year, and the team that trades for him would be culpable for half. Who's going to throw $3m at him?

I think he'll probably be cut before signing a cheap short term contract. I'm all for bringing him in as a FA though. Seattle is the sanctuary of second chances.

Basis4day

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1z6tbe2e said:
I think he's due nearly $6m from the Jags next year, and the team that trades for him would be culpable for half. Who's going to throw $3m at him?

I think he'll probably be cut before signing a cheap short term contract. I'm all for bringing him in as a FA though. Seattle is the sanctuary of second chances.

Looked into it. His base is $2,914,365 and prorated bonus is $2,871,260. If a team trades for him they're due the base salary for one year of service. It's an intriguing possibility.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1kpnbzur said:

A lot of teams would do that. He's a top receiver when he's on the field. At $3M he's a bargain. But his off-field issues need to be under control. I believe he's still suspended from the league so not reinstated as of yet.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Basis4day":38yfs5sp said:
SomersetHawk":38yfs5sp said:

Looked into it. His base is $2,914,365 and prorated bonus is $2,871,260. If a team trades for him they're due the base salary for one year of service. It's an intriguing possibility.

I would go that amount. Blackmon is actually a great kid and for me, that's a huge plus. he's not the carcinogenic figure Harvin is, he's a guy having some substance issues and while risky (as hell) I think his upside, especially in our offense, would be worth the risk. If Gus would take our 7th for him (as mentioned above) that's a trigger we should be pulling immediately, imo.

raisethe3

Reaction score
HawkWow":ypiyhr59 said:
Basis4day":ypiyhr59 said:
SomersetHawk":ypiyhr59 said:

I would go that amount. Blackmon is actually a great kid and for me, that's a huge plus. he's not the carcinogenic figure Harvin is, he's a guy having some substance issues and while risky (as hell) I think his upside, especially in our offense, would be worth the risk. If Gus would take our 7th for him (as mentioned above) that's a trigger we should be pulling immediately, imo.

I would agree with this statement, but what are the chances of that happening realistically?

HawkWow

Reaction score
raisethe3":1y5tr64s said:
HawkWow":1y5tr64s said:
Basis4day":1y5tr64s said:
SomersetHawk":1y5tr64s said:

I would agree with this statement, but what are the chances of that happening realistically?

I may be mistaken, but everything I've heard suggests the Jags have no intentions of ever suiting him up again. Now, I heard that quite some time ago, but it seems I heard that expressed by reps of the club. And bitterly. It was those comments that made me not entertain the thought of him being a Hawk, in fact, they made me feel like he would never play in the league again.

So I may be off base, but offing a player for a 7th with his history doesn't seem too absurd when you consider Bolden went to SF for a 6th. Certainly it's easy to say "well yeah, but that was the brothers at play". I'm not so sure about that. Newsome is a no-mess-around GM. IF someone was offering more than a 6th for Anquan, but John said..."Naw, I'm going to gift him to my brother...." I just don't see Ozzie putting his stamp on the deal. Certainly we all thought Bolden was old...but we all know Blackmon has issues as bad, if not worse, than old age. I like the kid but it's a risky proposition for anything more than a 6th, imo. And I could be wrong, too.

mikeak

Reaction score
If the NFL decides to make the substance abuse policy to the laws of the states the player lives in then he is a lock for us or Denver

OP
OP
H

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
I think some teams would be after Blackmon, but not all 31 teams would be chasing this guy. There are few teams where Blackmon would have a shot to be the #1 option pretty much when entering the door.

Also, Jacksonville wouldn't have invested two 2nd round picks (Marquise Lee & Allen Robinson) in last years draft if they saw a future with Blackmon.

Blackmon entered into a dysfunctional organization at a young age. If he intends on making a comeback, I really so no better situation that coming to Seattle to potentially make a comeback, with a successful stable organization and a coach that knows how to turn players' lives around.

OP
OP
H

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
HawkWow":38vf2wiw said:
I may be mistaken, but everything I've heard suggests the Jags have no intentions of ever suiting him up again. Now, I heard that quite some time ago, but it seems I heard that expressed by reps of the club. And bitterly. It was those comments that made me not entertain the thought of him being a Hawk, in fact, they made me feel like he would never play in the league again.

So I may be off base, but offing a player for a 7th with his history doesn't seem too absurd when you consider Bolden went to SF for a 6th. Certainly it's easy to say "well yeah, but that was the brothers at play". I'm not so sure about that. Newsome is a no-mess-around GM. IF someone was offering more than a 6th for Anquan, but John said..."Naw, I'm going to gift him to my brother...." I just don't see Ozzie putting his stamp on the deal. Certainly we all thought Bolden was old...but we all know Blackmon has issues as bad, if not worse, than old age. I like the kid but it's a risky proposition for anything more than a 6th, imo. And I could be wrong, too.

Our options are limited though to improve receiving core for next year. Either we have to invest into a free agent or most likely draft a few players. But unless we hit the jackpot, a rookie receiver will have limited impact. A healthy, motivated Blackmon, who had as much talent at wide receiver as I've ever seen, could be a huge steal for this organization, the type of move that keeps a competitive balance.

Its a low risk move if its only costing a late round pick with high upside potential.

titan3131

Reaction score
trade the jags kearse and a 7th for blackmon?

gets the roster slot open, gives them a good guy.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
titan3131":18ujfak1 said:
trade the jags kearse and a 7th for blackmon?

gets the roster slot open, gives them a good guy.

how would that happen? kearse is a free agent after this season. not that i think any team would want a short, slow receiver who cant get any separation that also has a case of the dropsies

i definately think we target a true #1 this offseason though. with gordon, dez and demaryius there is unfathomable talent out there, not sure if we have the $$$ to target elites like that, and also not sure if blackmon could be that #1 guy or not at this point, hes never on the field. work the risk if we lose out on other options, though.

VB Hawk

Reaction score
I don't get to see a lot of college football but from what I saw ......this guy is amazing. A fantastic talent who was a total game changer.

He also showed enough in the NFL, if his head is in the right place, that he can really trouble NFL defences.

Would love to see us take a chance on him.

Timmahawk

Reaction score
I'd give the 6.32 for him. Maybe even the 5.32 depending on our compensatory haul. He's one transgression away from potential lifetime ban so I wouldn't give up more than that for him.

Hawksfanatik

Reaction score
I LOVE the idea of giving Blackmon a shot. He could be just what the doctor ordered for our offense.

Hard to trust the guy, but this would be the perfect team/situation for him. Good luck, Justin!

kearly

Reaction score
With the new substance abuse policy acquiring Blackmon makes sense again, sort of. Blackmon would be looking at a 10 game suspension for his next marijuana offense. I think the NFL also upped the threshold for a positive test as well.

endzorn

Reaction score
If he becomes a free agent he'd be better off going to a team with a prolific pass offense for one year and establishing value for himself so if J+P want him they'd better make a trade. I could live without him.

Erebus

Reaction score
Taking calculated risks on players with character concerns has gotten the Seahawks to where they are today. They took a risk on Marshawn Lynch and Bruce Irvin and those risks worked out well. They took a risk on Percy Harvin and that blew up in their face. I hope the rare failures don't make PC/JS afraid to make moves like this in the future. As the old saying goes, "You miss all the shots you don't take."