The Johnny Football Stinkfest

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Staggering offensive gameplan by Cleveland. Not protecting Manziel at all. It's like they're hanging him out to dry. No excuses for some of the mistakes so far, but they needed to take the pressure off him and play not to turn it over.

Now Cleveland's just teeing off and blitzing him. No counter in the play calling.

A disaster zone.

Largent80

Reaction score
Clevlands defense sucked and didn't help him out one bit.

Hard to be down on the guy for that. Give credit to Bengals D as well.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I want Johnny to succeed. But that was nasty.

He looked like Russell Wilson with no caution out there.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Scottemojo":oqr24rgl said:

That's an interesting comparison. Not true given he has an actual OL and #1 WR. But interesting nonetheless.

pehawk

Reaction score
I never made an assumption on if he can succeed. I'm not sure, I think so, but that's all I can say. Because, well, I've never seen anything like him. The Browns WR's left him out to dry, I saw 3 drops in the 1st half, one of which was the one of the INT's. His biggest issue was throwing on time, he waited like he was still at A & M. There's nothing alarming about that, hell it took Hasselbeck like 5 years to understand that.

He's going to look REALLY bad before he ever looks good. That was a given due to the offense he ran. But, he surprised me with his arm strength...it's legit.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
He looked worse today than Russell Wilson has ever looked in his three years as a starter. That was Charlie Whitehurst vs. Cleveland bad, if not worse. Granted, he's still a really young kid, so it'd be absurd to write him off just yet. Still, yet to be seen if this guy can succeed without a Mike Evans type bailing him out on dangerous contested throws.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
Watched the whole game. He was epically bad. He looked like he had no idea what was going on, pocket presence was garbage, footwork garbage, decision making garbage, accuracy garbage. Tim Tebow would've given them a much better chance to win. He could throw at least as well, and could actually run at the NFL level. I will say the Bengals came to play on D, but Manziel along with the playcalling (can't fault the OC, its the only stuff he can run) made them look a lot better.

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1ozeqsl3 said:
Still, yet to be seen if this guy can succeed without a Mike Evans type bailing him out on dangerous contested throws.

To be fair, he does have Josh Gordon, but that connection hasn't been working. They weren't able to develop any chemistry in the preseason either.

Sad to say, I don't think Manziel's version of backyard football is going to work. Russell Wilson can pull it off because his lack of height belies his otherwise outstanding physical tools. Manziel's foot speed is barely above average in the NFL, and his arm strength is roughly on par with Matt Flynn's. Couple that with Manziel's natural risk taking nature and you get games like this.

I think Manziel is a bit like Tebow in the sense that he's a pass/fail QB. His way of doing things was either going to work or it was going to fail, he's not a developmental QB. I hate writing off a rookie QB, but he hasn't grown as a QB the last three years, and I kind of doubt he has much capability for it. I think his only hope is developing chemistry with Gordon and Cameron, and even then he'd probably just be Andy Dalton with more mobility.

pehawk

Reaction score
Not sure where you're getting the arm strength thing, kearly. He has a really strong arm, that's not really debatable.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
Agree with everything Kearly. As for arm strength, it's okay, probably NFL level when he's got somewhat solid mechanics.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Johnny stinkfest continues....the mediots on NFL Network dedicated 95% of their "Around the NFL" show toward Johnny Manziel. Wasting a show on a midget crappy QB...while there was 15 other games they could have focused on.

endzorn

Reaction score
pehawk":52cj9551 said:
Not sure where you're getting the arm strength thing, kearly. He has a really strong arm, that's not really debatable.
Really strong? I'd say he appears to have an average arm for an NFL QB. I watched their Rewind game today, because I'm a closet Browns fan, and I thought his arm was between Rich Gannon and John Friesz/Neil Lomax. That should be good enough if he can grow as a QB, but his cartoonish persona has brought so much pressure on himself that it might wear the Browns out before he develops.

I wouldn't kick him out of because he's a little kinky, but I'd dump his ass in a heartbeat if another slutty girl with a better can came around.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":w80wamkt said:
Scottemojo":w80wamkt said:

That's an interesting comparison. Not true given he has an actual OL and #1 WR. But interesting nonetheless.
Are you sure about that? Or do you just not like him?
Starting center is out, and he was under pressure all day. I watched. Did you?

pehawk

Reaction score
endzorn":1ywtpwzj said:
pehawk":1ywtpwzj said:
Really strong? I'd say he appears to have an average arm for an NFL QB. I watched their Rewind game today, because I'm a closet Browns fan, and I thought his arm was between Rich Gannon and John Friesz/Neil Lomax. That should be good enough if he can grow as a QB, but his cartoonish persona has brought so much pressure on himself that it might wear the Browns out before he develops.

I wouldn't kick him out of because he's a little kinky, but I'd dump his ass in a heartbeat if another slutty girl with a better can came around.

He has sneaky arm strength. That pick PacMan nabbed in the endzone? That looked like some nice zip there. Lots of velocity.

Johnny's lack of a playbook, ever, means its going to be really bad for awhile. The gameplan and blocking was, umm, wowzers. It hung Johnny out to dry a bit.

Two more games to show some life...