Richardson's Touchdown....Not a TD??

Barakas

Reaction score
Am I the only one initially afraid they were going to call Richardson's TD an incomplete pass? The Calvin Johnson rule is what made me think that he let go of the ball too quickly.

If you watch the play in slow motion, he catches the ball....falls to his arse while getting hit and rolls over. When he's rolling over he either lets go of the ball or it falls out of his hands.

I thought that if you were hit by a defender while falling down and completing a catch you had to maintain control throughout the entire process, including rolling over.

Am I just nuts or could that have been called incomplete?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
As you say, he catches it and rolls over with possession. He then sets the football down pretty quickly.

OP
OP
Barakas

Barakas

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2nc3ly4j said:
As you say, he catches it and rolls over with possession. He then sets the football down pretty quickly.

Yeah, I know...it's just that is exactly what CJ did back in that one game. The rule is a hard one to figure out sometimes.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Barakas":3skbrqkw said:
hawknation2014":3skbrqkw said:

Yeah, I know...it's just that is exactly what CJ did back in that one game. The rule is a hard one to figure out sometimes.

If you look at the rule for possession, it requires clearly controlling "the ball throughout the act of clearly touching both feet, or any other part of his body other than his hand(s), to the ground inbounds." That's what Richardson did here by securing the football and then rolling to the ground.

In the Calvin Johnson situation, he kind of bobbled the ball on the ground with one hand and then released it just before stepping out of bounds. The essential difference was the issue of establishing control while inbounds.

OP
OP
Barakas

Barakas

Reaction score
hawknation2014":213tu749 said:
Barakas":213tu749 said:
hawknation2014":213tu749 said:

If you look at the rule for possession, it requires clearly controlling "the ball throughout the act of clearly touching both feet, or any other part of his body other than his hand(s), to the ground inbounds." That's what Richardson did here by securing the football and then rolling to the ground.

In the Calvin Johnson situation, he kind of bobbled the ball on the ground with one hand and then released it just before stepping out of bounds. The essential difference was the issue of establishing control while inbounds.

Okay, I can see the difference. Thanks for the explanation.

Go 'HAWKS!!

HawkWow

Reaction score
Really liking his development and it looks like he's getting his swag back on. But going forward, it would please me much if he holds onto the ball a bit longer. He can take it back to the bench, hell, he can take it to the beach! Or even just give it to the ref.

Storts

Reaction score
I had the same worries too, even though it was a clear TD I had a feeling they would look at it, thankfully I was wrong

sutz

Reaction score
I admit, I was a bit concerned about that, too. But the refs allowed it, so it's a TD. :)

I suspect he'll get a few words from the coach on that one. I'm loving this kid so far. :th2thumbs:

Largent80

Reaction score
Just shows the inconsistency of the refs this year. Maybe they figured they owed us one after the Ram game.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":mv4kenpp said:
Just shows the inconsistency of the refs this year. Maybe they figured they owed us one after the Ram game.

To be fair, this game did nothing to deter the conspiracy theorists (Pe), who suggested we'd get a lot of calls go our way yesterday. :stirthepot: