The New Colin Kaepernick?

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Kaepernick...not just because I'm a Seahawk fan, but I find his usual demeanor and personality irritating.

Though, I've got to give him kudos for giving a professional post-game presser after this loss to the Seahawks.
http://www.seahawks.com/videos-phot...Seahawks/5fc49d0d-8a80-4018-8a03-2aea905becbe

He was humble, honest, articulate, and polite. It is the first time I can remember seeing and hearing from him and can actually picture him as a franchise leader. He looks and acts different now...it's as if a huge weight is off his shoulders. What weight?...I would say it is the weight of the race to get to the playoffs and the weight of Harbaugh/FO. The 49ers are now eliminated, he doesn't have to worry about getting into the big dance. His head coach may be on his way out...and taking his socially awkward nuances with him.

It almost looks as if Kap is job interviewing for the next regime.

ivotuk

Reaction score
HunnyBadger":22z5miqb said:
I'm not a fan of Kaepernick...not just because I'm a Seahawk fan, but I find his usual demeanor and personality irritating.

Though, I've got to give him kudos for giving a professional post-game presser after this loss to the Seahawks.
http://www.seahawks.com/videos-phot...Seahawks/5fc49d0d-8a80-4018-8a03-2aea905becbe

He was humble, honest, articulate, and polite. It is the first time I can remember seeing and hearing from him and can actually picture him as a franchise leader. He looks and acts different now...it's as if a huge weight is off his shoulders. What weight?...I would say it is the weight of the race to get to the playoffs and the weight of Harbaugh/FO. The 49ers are now eliminated, he doesn't have to worry about getting into the big dance. His head coach may be on his way out...and taking his socially awkward nuances with him.

That or his next team. The 49ers can cut him if they want. Although they would be fools to do so. Guy is a good QB, he just needs someone like Holmgren or Reid to bring him along.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Dunno about that Ivotuk. The closest Holmgren ever had to Kaepernick was probably Seneca...and Seneca was more hope than actual substance, imo.

Reid had similar qbs in both McNabb and Vick. But McNabb was a way better all around QB than Kap.

Kap is more like a taller, smarter running Vick. And like Vick, Kap needs to be a threat to run to have success at the position. Even then, it can be argued Vick cost Andy his job. All that aside, I'd like for Kap to remain in the NFCW. ; )

Frohawk25360

Reaction score
Not only was his interview likeable after a L during the first half guy even looked like a leader on the sideline...to me kaep has looked lose for about a week like after the raider L someone from the front office came down and gave him some reassuring wrds about his future

Marvin49

Reaction score
Ya...I listened to Jim Trotter (interviewed Kap over the weekend) this AM and I think someone finally got to him...most likely his father.

He was always capable to being a better interview but he took the whole "me against the world" mantra WAY too much to heart.

Its just easier to give the press a little something than constantly fight them.

BTW, Kap ain't going anywhere this year. If a new coach comes in and he plays poorly NEXT year...then all bets are off.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Frohawk25360":9mjnhk1z said:
Not only was his interview likeable after a L during the first half guy even looked like a leader on the sideline...to me kaep has looked lose for about a week like after the raider L someone from the front office came down and gave him some reassuring wrds about his future

I think someone finally got to him. He's wound so tightly when he isn't playing well that it reflects in his play.

He seemed much more relaxed yesterday and actually didn't play all that poorly by comparison to his other Seahawks games. Not to say he played well, but he didn't turn the ball over and that's a first vs Seattle.

CHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":3l6n6y8j said:
Frohawk25360":3l6n6y8j said:

I think someone finally got to him. He's wound so tightly when he isn't playing well that it reflects in his play.

He seemed much more relaxed yesterday and actually didn't play all that poorly by comparison to his other Seahawks games. Not to say he played well, but he didn't turn the ball over and that's a first vs Seattle.

I was waiting for the turn over but Kap surprised me have to give him credit.

Marvin49

Reaction score
CHawk":22764glc said:
Marvin49":22764glc said:
Frohawk25360":22764glc said:

I was waiting for the turn over but Kap surprised me have to give him credit.

Kinda always been his problem. He gets himself wound up so tight after poor performances, says nothing or something stupid...

...but most importantly it effects him in games. There is a REASON he's so much better against the rest of the league than he is against Seattle.

He just needs to freakin' relax a bit., Saw some of that yesterday, but too little too late. I kinda saw it coming tho.

He have an interview mid week and his entire demeanor in terms of answering questions had changed. I think someone got to him finally after the Raider game.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Marvin,

Isn't most of it him being coached by harbaugh not to be forthcoming with the media? I ask your opinion because you are closer to the situation and probably see more of his media interaction. I made a post on Niners Nation about it last year that wasn't very well received by them but it was my opinion that not letting him be himself had the potential to set him back.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Harbaugh established a give them nothing policy.

Harbaugh is going to be gone.

Kaep may like Harbaugh, but it doesn't change the fact that his policies have lost their bite. Perhaps this is the real Kaepernick.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
No way in hell they're cutting Kaepernick, who are they going to start, Blaine Gabbert?

The Niners will trade Harbaugh and try to bring in a new coach that's QB friendly..........or bring in a QB guru to specifically work with Kaep. Maybe even somebody like Holmgren.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
HunnyBadger":2v1d7e16 said:

You're psychologizing this a little bit too much. He's been like this for awhile now. Baalke talked to him about opening up more (last week or the week before?) after he got slammed in the national media for his clipped responses.

Marvin49

Reaction score
bigtrain21":3blgbwa9 said:
Marvin,

Isn't most of it him being coached by harbaugh not to be forthcoming with the media? I ask your opinion because you are closer to the situation and probably see more of his media interaction. I made a post on Niners Nation about it last year that wasn't very well received by them but it was my opinion that not letting him be himself had the potential to set him back.

Nobody really knows exactly why Colin spoke to the media that way. Harbaugh and Colin say its not Harbaugh telling him, but who knows really.

All that's clear now is that something finally got to him and he realized he was just making his life harder.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3fgesgg4 said:
Harbaugh established a give them nothing policy.

Harbaugh is going to be gone.

Kaep may like Harbaugh, but it doesn't change the fact that his policies have lost their bite. Perhaps this is the real Kaepernick.

Pretty sure it is because he wasn't like the way he has been at Nevada.

Is it Harbaugh? Is it the spotlight? Dunno.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":e2p5yiyr said:
Nobody really knows exactly why Colin spoke to the media that way. Harbaugh and Colin say its not Harbaugh telling him, but who knows really.

IIRC Alex Smith started doing the same thing when Harbaugh came in. My guess is -- regardless of what anyone says -- it was on direction or advice from Harbaugh.