Mike Holmgren wants to coach the 49ers, per source

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/san-fra ... nterested/

Former San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Holmgren is highly interested in becoming the 49ers’ next head coach, according to a source who spoke with Holmgren.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/12/15/ ... lly-season

What would you Seahawk fans think of that? Holmgren back in the Bay area?

If this happens, expect Kaepernick to become a real NFL QB, 66 years old or no. Holmgren has already turned Steve Young, Brett Favre (19 TDs to 24 INTs before Holmgren got through to him; 33 TDs to 14 INTs the next season) and Matt Hasselbeck into legitimate NFL QBs. He even made Trent Dilfer look good for half a season. Of course, knowing Jed York and Trent Baalke, they'll want a yes man after the Harbaugh fiasco. I can't imagine them bringing him in. Particularly considering that Baalke is a Parcell's disciple.

But on the other hand, such a move would greatly mollify the masses, which would make it rather prudent, if Holmgren were to accept only coaching.

How would you guys feel if Mike Holmgren became the next 49er coach? Nostalgic? Angry? Humored?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I will always be grateful for Mike's tenure here as he gave a struggling franchise instant credibility and led us to our first Super Bowl appearance. Listening to his radio shows he sounds like a genuine guy. I think the game has passed him by in a sense, but he'd add instant credibility and class to an org severely lacking both IMHO.

Not sure how he'd get along with Trent and Jed though.

Get used to the 3rd and 20 draw play with the fullback if your team hires him, that's his favorite play. I hated that play and you can see it coming from a mile away.

RationalNiner

Reaction score
Holmgren is a smart guy. I'm sure he can adapt and adjust to the current NFL. If we hire him, I pray to god we keep him away from the defense and let Fangio keep its smash mouth attitude.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Imagining Matt Hasselbeck in a Niner jersey.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
go ahead 49ers, hire holmgren :stirthepot:

but honestly? looking at next season, the niners still have the makings of a top 5 defense (if fangio is kept around) and few pieces on offense. but most of these "key" players are older on both sides of the ball. therefore, the niners are still in win-now mode. holmgren isnt the answer. holmgren can build a program, but as head coach would want his own personnel and it would take a few seasons to get the roster where he needs it to be. he wants everything done his way and is visibly irate if thing arent going his way. im not so sure about being a coach again at age 67. being a head coach requires incredible dedication, patience energy, and focus and the ability to work well with others. hes already been burnt out twice in the last 10 years after being with the hawks and browns. he is impatient and a bit of a control freak also, and wears on people, especially his quarterbacks. i know this because i was witness to his relationships with both favre and hassleback.

if york and baalke hire holmgren as head coach, there then is a big problem, and his jersey # is #7. there is no way holmy would settle on kaepernick as his qb. he is the anti- west coast quarterback. kaeps inaccurate, unable to go through progressions, unable to step up in the pocket, unable to make sound decions, unable play point guard from the quarterback position. but the main thing is that he wouldnt be able to survive holmgrens domineering persona and criticism. hes not humble enough or mentally tough enough. and holmys qb needs to be an extension of himself. aside from all this is, we havent even mentioned kaeps chidish ego. and to add to that kaepernick is a 17m dollar cap hit next year if they keep him on the roster next season. and so if hes cut/traded he'd be a 10m dollar dead cap hit right off the bat... 10m that couldnt be used to upgrade the team at deficient spots, which at this point for the 49ers include quaterback. its just a bad marriage.

holmgren would be a great option as an offensive coordinator for a west coast offense at this point (that being said he shouldnt call the plays as he telegraphs sometimes what hes about to do with consistent accuaracy), but anything more than OC, especially for this particular team, would look as a move of desperation on the 49ers part.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
I cant see Holmgren sticking with Kaep if he is there. Kaep doesn't come close to the typical QB that Mike seems to prefer. Kaep would be a poor fit in holmgrens west coast offense.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":3upw7zqp said:
http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/san-francisco-49ers-head-coach-mike-holmgren-interested/

Former San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Holmgren is highly interested in becoming the 49ers’ next head coach, according to a source who spoke with Holmgren.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/12/15/ ... lly-season

What would you Seahawk fans think of that? Holmgren back in the Bay area?

If this happens, expect Kaepernick to become a real NFL QB, 66 years old or no. Holmgren has already turned Steve Young, Brett Favre (19 TDs to 24 INTs before Holmgren got through to him; 33 TDs to 14 INTs the next season) and Matt Hasselbeck into legitimate NFL QBs. He even made Trent Dilfer look good for half a season. Of course, knowing Jed York and Trent Baalke, they'll want a yes man after the Harbaugh fiasco. I can't imagine them bringing him in. Particularly considering that Baalke is a Parcell's disciple.

But on the other hand, such a move would greatly mollify the masses, which would make it rather prudent, if Holmgren were to accept only coaching.

How would you guys feel if Mike Holmgren became the next 49er coach? Nostalgic? Angry? Humored?
Holmgren is a system, and you need to trust Hawk fans telling you Kaep doesn't fit the system.

Holmgren always despised the gun. Loves under center plays. His routes are timed to the step, and he is on record as saying a QBs passes need to be delivered in an area the size of a bread box.

Even if he likes Kaepernick's talents, he tries to break his quarterbacks down. Favre without Holmgren became an interception AND playmaking machine, Hass without Holmgren was a disaster, so I know why you think he is a QB whisperer, but Kaepernick has been coddled for his pro career, and Holmgren doesn't have that ability in him. Of recent, Kaep has had difficulty with the short passing Roman has tried to get him to do. Kaep's nature is to look for bigger plays. Holmgren would shred him. Dilfer fit with Holmgren because Holmgren didn't really care that Trent couldn't go big. He could hit the small, close windows.

Here is what would happen. Holmgren would say the right things about Kaep at his opening presser, then he and Baalke, assuming they can even fit their egos into the same room, would call every QB hungry team in the league trying to get a 1 for him. Then Holmgren would find a QB he thinks he can work with, and you all would scratch your heads. A Garoppolo type guy. He would overpay for him, whatever it takes to get him. ANd then you would suffer for a year or two while he breaks him down and builds him back up. All the while, getting his type receivers and tight ends, playing vets instead of developing younger guys, and building a defense complimentary to the offense, not stifling, but meant to protect a lead.

And every time you Niner fans cried about a third down draw, we would LOLOLOL.

pehawk

Reaction score
Ah, Holmgren and his ego. Only Parcells was bigger.

IMO, Holmgren really got the least out of Hass. I know I'm alone in this, but he removes improvisation from even the best players.

Also, it came out his SBXL speech...wasn't a speech, just him showing players a pile of cash. He tried to motivate his players by appealing to their materialism. That's telling on every level.

He's publicly barked for Cowboys, Raiders and now 49ers. It's sad.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":188yztv7 said:
Ah, Holmgren and his ego. Only Parcells was bigger.

IMO, Holmgren really got the least out of Hass. I know I'm alone in this, but he removes improvisation from even the best players.

Also, it came out his SBXL speech...wasn't a speech, just him showing players a pile of cash. He tried to motivate his players by appealing to their materialism. That's telling on every level.

He's publicly barked for Cowboys, Raiders and now 49ers. It's sad.
He was known to get pissed at Favre after big plays if Favre had improvised. Trusting abilities over system is not in his DNA.

pehawk

Reaction score
Hass would've dominated in a play-action, read, move the safeties, type offense. Of course he wouldn't have gotten to that point with the Stubborn Swede, though.

"This is what it's all about, men" Holmgren before SBXL, pointing to a pile of cash. Yuck.

pehawk

Reaction score
He'd also blow up the team, so it was truly his work that turned it around. He had a good team already in Seattle, Erickson was an underrated drafter. Anyone with a likable personality was gone, immediately. He wanted to be the only interesting person on the team.

Dudes kind of a weirdo, period.

Largent80

Reaction score
Holmy needs more control. He was coach and GM for a while here, and was relieved of the GM duties after a short while.

His QB makes throws to spots before the receiver even makes their cuts. Kap is NOT that QB, and that offense would get slaughtered these days.

I'm not even sure he really wants to coach again.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
He may not really want to coach again, but he does want to wear a gold jacket.

pehawk

Reaction score
Holmgren will take any job, he won't care about anything else. He's a drama queen and demands attention.

My first raised eyebrow came from watching an NFL films roundtable about his coaching tree. Holmgren was so douchey in how he soaked that up, I still remember my skin crawling. It was gross.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":oxs7xn5o said:

I'd dance a jig. Seriously.

Holmgren's teams were always finesse teams and couldn't take a punch in the mouth. The team we've got in Seattle right now is kryptonite to the type of teams Holmgren built.

Oh, and if he comes and gets any kind of personnel control, be prepared to kiss your D goodbye.

endzorn

Reaction score
Holmgren's style is surgical precision. Even in 2005 we struggled against defenses that physically mauled our receivers and prevented clean releases. Dallas kicked our ass in Seattle by manhandling the pass catchers and if not for a late Bledsoe to Babineaux pick we probably lose the game. The Giants did the same and we won because they missed FG after FG. We have three teams in this division who would feast on that style.

Please. Hire. Holmgren.