Why are 49er home attendance figures not being published?

Jville

Reaction score

Link to NFL attendance chart provided by ESPN >>> [urltargetblank]http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance[/urltargetblank]

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
At the moment yes. But, with a little patience, we might get a nibble.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Rog doesn't want to embarrass a "legacy franchise" by publishing crap attendance figures the first year of a new stadium.

Can't wait for Melvin's spin though. 8)

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out why they didn't just rework the Stick and improve the area around it.

I grew up and enjoyed the Niners playing on Sunday in that venue. Like clockwork the Dyna-Niners were ALWAYS the feature game on CBS with Summerall and Madden. As a Seahawks fan even I recognized that with that team something special was going to happen there. Whether it was the "catch", the games against the Vikings, the Rams or the 94 NFCCG. It just seems that they had a lot to remember there.

Its too late, they have their pretty stadium in Santa Clara and by doing so that history seems to have been let go. The franchise had their reasons, but I think it was a mistake in general. Winning cures everything, but going 500 in your own venue is not a good way to support the move.

Whatever the numbers are, there sure seems to be something missing there right now.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Jville":72sk7gpv said:

Link to NFL attendance chart provided by ESPN >>> [urltargetblank]http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance[/urltargetblank]

??? They are being published. Attendance figures come from the gamebooks the NFL releases after each game.

No idea why they're not on ESPN (it's a conspiracy, obviously), but they're officially reported in all the gamebooks, and it's not like there's anything to hide in them:

e.g.

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecente ... mebook.pdf

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2r3qs5w0 said:
Jville":2r3qs5w0 said:

??? They are being published. Attendance figures come from the gamebooks the NFL releases after each game.

No idea why they're not on ESPN (it's a conspiracy, obviously), but they're officially reported in all the gamebooks, and it's not like there's anything to hide in them:

e.g.

Notice how your attendance number is exactly the same every home game? Paid attendance, i.e., they're selling all their tickets. The stadium could have 70% attendance in the stands while still selling all its tickets. Plenty of stadiums provide real attendance numbers, but the 49ers don't; and they didn't at Candlestick, either.

rideaducati

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":26yz9grp said:
Popeyejones":26yz9grp said:
Jville":26yz9grp said:

e.g.

Notice how your attendance number is exactly the same every home game? Paid attendance, i.e., they're selling all their tickets. The stadium could have 70% attendance in the stands while still selling all its tickets. Plenty of stadiums provide real attendance numbers, but the 49ers don't; and they didn't at Candlestick, either.

You beat me to it. Their stadium may have had that many for the first few weeks, but nowhere near that starting in Nov.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Lol. The things you guys choose to care about sometimes.

Every 49ers home game has been sold out for like 30 years.

As for actual attendance, no idea. I do remember a tweet this past weekend that the attendance was around 90% for the Chargers game, but I'd have to find it.

Does it really matter tho? Niners done this year. Seahawks likely will win the division. Why do you care how many peeps show up to watch a team playing out the string?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":18rb5195 said:
Why do you care how many peeps show up to watch a team playing out the string?
Because it'll be years and years yet before we are able to rinse the taste of myriad 49ers fans screaming "FIEV RINGZ!!!!!!!!111111" at us for so long.

Yes, I know you're not one of those, Marvin; but that doesn't change how often we had to hear it from so many 49ers fans.

Jay-Dog

Reaction score
BzPx3XlCEAANRgU.jpg:medium
SOLD OUT!

images
SOLD OUT!

Ccec3286 e50c 4d2f 9317 d421d39d21c4 500 SOLD OUT!

Levis Stadium 49ers SOLD OUT!

Popcorn and Peanuts - 10 for a $1

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":1xkqve4r said:

As much as I hate to agree with you, I do. I'm kinda tired of everyone around here worrying about what the 49ers did or didn't do; said or didn't say and sop on. It just reeks of Seahawks fans inferiority complex.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":wv7aebih said:
Marvin49":wv7aebih said:

As much as I hate to agree with you, I do. I'm kinda tired of everyone around here worrying about what the 49ers did or didn't do; said or didn't say and sop on. It just reeks of Seahawks fans inferiority complex.
Rivalries work this way. 49ers fans have been going on and on about the Cowboys since the 90s.

Giphy

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Marvin49":1hllb4sd said:

As for actual attendance, no idea. I do remember a tweet this past weekend that the attendance was around 90% for the Chargers game, but I'd have to find it.

Does it really matter tho? Niners done this year. Seahawks likely will win the division. Why do you care how many peeps show up to watch a team playing out the string?

lol spin it. nobody here is buying this garbage

Marvin49":1hllb4sd said:
Does it really matter tho?

yes it does matter, tho. actual attendance a measuring stick to gauge what fans are more, to use your own "fans" term, "faithful" lmao. it shows what type of support your pathetic fanbase will churn out when things arent going so great. it shows whether or not you are even close to having a homefield advantage. ... its not like youve been a sub 500 team over the last 4 years. terrible support after 3 consecutive nfc championship appearances. heck, you even have a new, fancy 1.3 billion dollar stadium that opened this year, and the shines already worn off, apparently.

certainly your ownership would care about whether or not "every home game has been sold out for like 30 years"

but most teams and most fans care far more about "actual attendance". its telling, actually. real fans actually show up and stay the duration of the game. yours dont. they quit on their team as soon as things dont go well. great supporters! heck, niner fans dont even show up 100% when things are going great tbh. where is your homefield advantage? levis field seems more of a neutral site. niner "fans" should never EVER talk down about our fanbase's support. we show up regardless, rain or shine. you guys cant say the same. sherman was correct about crabtree being a mediocre receiver... and he was correct that the 49ers have a mediocre fan base. ;)

heres a good piece that came out mid-season from sfgate.com http://www.sfgate.com/sports/ostler/art ... 867541.php

It remains to be seen if the 49ers are better than the dreaded Seahawks.

But this much is sure: The 49ers’ fans are getting their butts kicked by the Seahawks’ 12th man.

On Sunday, in the 49ers’ 13-10 loss to the Rams at Levi’s Stadium, thousands of fans began fleeing their seats before halftime, and many did not return. There were areas of empty seats, most notably in the large Club section at midfield, the high-priced seats behind the Rams’ bench. You know, the Red Hole.

In Seattle on Sunday, it was cold and rainy and the opponent was the dismal, winless Raiders. Yet the grandstands at CenturyLink Field remained packed throughout the game. The Seattle fans not only stayed at their seats, but — like college kids — they stood the entire game, an enthusiasm unknown to mankind.

The best seats in Seattle, between the 30-yard lines, require seat-license fees of $10,000 to $50,000 per fanny. That means that many of those people standing, in the rain, to watch the Raiders, are millionaires.

Meanwhile, where were the 49ers’ fans? Thousands were MIA. It was sunny in Santa Clara, but not hot. A high of 64. Apparently, in the cozy confines of the Big Wok, 64 is warm enough to drive fans out of their seats.

49ersgravestone02

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Jville":1542td5m said:
At the moment yes. But, with a little patience, we might get a nibble.
BINGO! A couple of the usual suspects, errrrrr I mean fish, bit right on schedule and are in "full Niner spin mode"! 8)
I swear, Rock must be paying these fellows to entertain us, certainly these "fish" are not dumb enough to entertain us for free??? :stirthepot:

NINEster

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":iyfb4595 said:
I'm still trying to figure out why they didn't just rework the Stick and improve the area around it.

I grew up and enjoyed the Niners playing on Sunday in that venue. Like clockwork the Dyna-Niners were ALWAYS the feature game on CBS with Summerall and Madden. As a Seahawks fan even I recognized that with that team something special was going to happen there. Whether it was the "catch", the games against the Vikings, the Rams or the 94 NFCCG. It just seems that they had a lot to remember there.

Its too late, they have their pretty stadium in Santa Clara and by doing so that history seems to have been let go. The franchise had their reasons, but I think it was a mistake in general. Winning cures everything, but going 500 in your own venue is not a good way to support the move.

Whatever the numbers are, there sure seems to be something missing there right now.

I think a Stick 2.0 would have been great. With what the Vikings are doing now the Niners only needed to work something out with Stanford and maybe even the Raiders too (the Raiders were the first NFL tenant at candlestick so they'd owe the Niners) to host games for two full seasons while they tore down and built a new stadium. The location IMO was perfect, and it's sad we'll never get to see this come to fruition with the area to be built up by developers.

I've been hearing attendance issues were in play at Metlife and AT&T stadium, two other recent new stadiums. Part of the problem with teams getting new stadiums is that you almost always have to price out the diehards (or admittedly it's ownership greed.....or somewhere in between), and you get a more flakey (but more well off) fan.

I do agree that winning cures all and it's possible that losing the home opener was a bit too ominous for most season ticket holders, esp. after the offensive struggles the team has had the season prior.

NINEster

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":12sf5o8o said:
Jazzhawk":12sf5o8o said:
Marvin49":12sf5o8o said:

Rivalries work this way. 49ers fans have been going on and on about the Cowboys since the 90s.

Giphy

Not this Niners fan.

Sure I hated them for awhile but then they fell off and became irrelevant.

And besides there was no real internet community back then, which is where the real team hatred comes from.

NINEster

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":354p6kq0 said:
Marvin49":354p6kq0 said:

This is truth. Jazzhawk is on point.

I saw the article about the Hawks/Raiders game. That is impressive.

I'm willing to admit that the Seahawk fan base is better than the 49er fan base right now.....at least those that attend games.

I'm annoyed at fans who do not stay till the end in losing efforts, don't deal with hot/cold weather, won't watch upcoming games after a losing streak, and just general non stop whininess.

I will admit that watching the Chargers game didn't have me in full intensity mode as it would have a month ago. It is ok to be human and not be an all out intense viewer of a game your team is playing when it is knocked out of the postseason (the recent Seahawk/Niner game though was different and will always be intense to me). This game against Zona will be a bit more intense given the rivalry aspect and potentially the end of Harbaugh and maybe Gore.

No excuse for a real Niner fan not to watch this one.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
NINEster":2jlgr9sg said:
Jazzhawk":2jlgr9sg said:
Marvin49":2jlgr9sg said:

This is truth. Jazzhawk is on point.

QFT. It's a little embarrassing how some of our fans treat the 49ers fans who are here to actually talk football. I don't have any issue with a little smack talk, and the trolls are rightfully given what they deserve. But there are some Hawks fans here who can't tell the difference between a trolling 49ers fan and one actually talking football (yes, there is a difference).

For all the noise we like to make about not being the Webzone, we sure as hell act like we are a lot of the time.

Marvin49

Reaction score
seatownlowdown":3mx12xl8 said:
Marvin49":3mx12xl8 said:

lol spin it. nobody here is buying this garbage

Marvin49":3mx12xl8 said:
Does it really matter tho?

yes it does matter, tho. actual attendance a measuring stick to gauge what fans are more, to use your own "fans" term, "faithful" lmao. it shows what type of support your pathetic fanbase will churn out when things arent going so great. it shows whether or not you are even close to having a homefield advantage. ... its not like youve been a sub 500 team over the last 4 years. terrible support after 3 consecutive nfc championship appearances. heck, you even have a new, fancy 1.3 billion dollar stadium that opened this year, and the shines already worn off, apparently.

certainly your ownership would care about whether or not "every home game has been sold out for like 30 years"

but most teams and most fans care far more about "actual attendance". its telling, actually. real fans actually show up and stay the duration of the game. yours dont. they quit on their team as soon as things dont go well. great supporters! heck, niner fans dont even show up 100% when things are going great tbh. where is your homefield advantage? levis field seems more of a neutral site. niner "fans" should never EVER talk down about our fanbase's support. we show up regardless, rain or shine. you guys cant say the same. sherman was correct about crabtree being a mediocre receiver... and he was correct that the 49ers have a mediocre fan base. ;)

heres a good piece that came out mid-season from sfgate.com http://www.sfgate.com/sports/ostler/art ... 867541.php

It remains to be seen if the 49ers are better than the dreaded Seahawks.

But this much is sure: The 49ers’ fans are getting their butts kicked by the Seahawks’ 12th man.

On Sunday, in the 49ers’ 13-10 loss to the Rams at Levi’s Stadium, thousands of fans began fleeing their seats before halftime, and many did not return. There were areas of empty seats, most notably in the large Club section at midfield, the high-priced seats behind the Rams’ bench. You know, the Red Hole.

In Seattle on Sunday, it was cold and rainy and the opponent was the dismal, winless Raiders. Yet the grandstands at CenturyLink Field remained packed throughout the game. The Seattle fans not only stayed at their seats, but — like college kids — they stood the entire game, an enthusiasm unknown to mankind.

The best seats in Seattle, between the 30-yard lines, require seat-license fees of $10,000 to $50,000 per fanny. That means that many of those people standing, in the rain, to watch the Raiders, are millionaires.

Meanwhile, where were the 49ers’ fans? Thousands were MIA. It was sunny in Santa Clara, but not hot. A high of 64. Apparently, in the cozy confines of the Big Wok, 64 is warm enough to drive fans out of their seats.

So basically, it boils down to an "our fans are better than your fans" 2nd grade argument. Why do you care who shows up. It's like you are trying to win an argument that nobody else is fighting.

You guys have a good shot at back-to-back Championships and you are concerning yourself with attendance figures of a 7-8 team.

Get over it.