Did Buccaneers tank to secure top pick in 2015 NFL Draft?

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Did they or didn't they tank?

That's the question many are asking the day after the Tampa Bay Buccaneers secured the top pick in the 2015 NFL Draft after blowing a 13-point fourth-quarter lead in a 23-20 loss to New Orleans.

Not that this terrible 2-14 Tampa team isn't capable of such a collapse, but there was enough evidence during the game that made it look more suspicious than coincidental, including the pulling of most starters in the second half:

» Wide receivers Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans, who each passed 1,000 yards this season, were benched.

» Three starters on the offensive line were pulled in favor of a trio that had a combined two years of NFL experience.

» LB Lavonte David, whom Bucs coach Lovie Smith has called the best outside linebacker in the NFL, was a healthy second-half scratch.

» Quarterback Josh McCown, who completed 12 of 20 passes in the first half, had only three attempts in the third and fourth quarters.

Any one of the above items could be legitimate, but all put together, there was probably something a little more devious at play. After Sunday's game, Smith and others were predictably in full-denial mode.

"Yeah, we didn't have some of our best players there right in the end," Smith said. "But the guys we had in there we felt like we could move the ball and be able to win."

"I don't think anybody tanked it," quarterback Josh McCown said. "We played the guys we played to rotate guys in to give them a look. As far as players are concerned, the draft and that stuff isn't relevant to us."

To most players, the draft isn't relevant. To most. But to some who could directly benefit from the fruits of the No. 1 pick, it most definitely is. Perhaps that's why Jackson, who would love a quarterback who could more consistenly get him the ball, left the field Sunday with a finger in the air representing the No. 1 sign.

It was the first time in their last 25 games in which they had a lead of at least 13 points going into the fourth quarter that the Buccaneers did not walk away with a win. In this case, they walked away with something much more valuable.

:hmmmm:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... fb_fenelon

kearly

Reaction score
I guess the better question might be, why did the Saints let them?

Rat

Reaction score
If they didn't they should have been.

McCown has no good reason to be a part of the tanking, though.

pehawk

Reaction score
They tanked, but for whatever reason it didn't bother me. Lovie has a Pete-esque rebuild he needs to do there. A lot of evaluations to be made.

mikeak

Reaction score
I believe that over multiple games a team doesn't tank. It is as simple as players being on mainly non-guaranteed contracts doesn't want to look bad in tape.

To fold during the second half of the last game and using backups - heck yeah they lost on purpose.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Of course they did the question that should be asked is why wouldn't they? That team is going to be blown up and rebuilt from the ground up so it's only logical to get the best picks that are possible. I'm always wondering why more teams don't just outright tank in certain situations especially in football where you are in injury away from being done.

About the only thing that does stop it are personal statistics and how contracts are structured. But in certain situations it would be the better choice to take the hit of less money if you absolutely know you will get a gamechanger or two the next year say like if you're Buffalo, Houston, Miami, San Francisco and others that have no shot at the playoffs or little shot at success if they reach them but are a player or two away from being a serious contender.

Reaction score
Time may prove me wrong, but as a Duck fan, I've always seen Mariota as a guy with Russell Wilson's head and arm and Karpernick's size and speed

Maulbert

Reaction score
homerun1970":m6xb1xc9 said:
But is he a huge improvement over what they have ?

I should clarify. I understand tanking the final quarter of game 16 in a 2 win season to get Mariota, I just never got tanking the season for him, as the phrase "Suck for the Duck" suggests. Luck was as can't miss as a prospect gets. Mariota has no guarantee.

Tempest_Crow

Reaction score
Maulbert":3ped36at said:
I get tanking for Luck. Luck was the best QB prospect since John Elway. Mariota is not Andrew Luck. Mariota has more in common with RG3.

Mariota is far from RGKnee. He's closer to being Russell Wilson. My concern for him is I'm not sure if he can be the take charge leader. He seems to be the wait and see type.

Tempest_Crow

Reaction score
Maulbert":2g8wk8by said:
homerun1970":2g8wk8by said:
But is he a huge improvement over what they have ?

I should clarify. I understand tanking the final quarter of game 16 in a 2 win season to get Mariota, I just never got tanking the season for him, as the phrase "Suck for the Duck" suggests. Luck was as can't miss as a prospect gets. Mariota has no guarantee.

I think that is a better assessment. But his consistent improvement on and off the field will hopefully indicate a better probability of NFL success.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Mariota learned UO offense in two weeks after arriving in Eugene as a FR. Who else do we know that learned his O that fast? He can run, but he tries to extent passing plays as long as he can, he doesn't just run as soon as possible. Who else does that, even though once in awhile they both get a sack they shouldn't? He's been described as a robot in interviews, humble but saying the cliché. He doesn't get in trouble, and he's the hardest worker in the team. Hmm? Who does MM remind you of again?

Marcus isn't Luck, but he's got the character, work ethic and talent to be a very good NFL Qb.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
homerun1970":k4f6qi4x said:
Yes they did. I remember some Lucky team that did it for most of a season.

Yet that team still fired their coach and GM. Why would they do that if it was all part of some grand plan?

homerun1970

Reaction score
That team was not nearly as bad talent wise as its record, they took the cream of the crap as far as free agent Qbs when manning went down to replace him. As far as for figuring out why the pill popping owner did what he did after is beyond me but when lucks career winds down wont be surprised if they go 1-15 off a 12-4 season.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Of course Tampa tanked for the first pick The real question is where was Rog when Irsay had his team do it and where is he now? Oh wait, I know......he's looking for ways to make the game safer. :sarcasm_off: