'boys still butthurt over Tate hit on Lee

duckypoo

Reaction score
Had a laugh when I saw this on PFT - still hurt over a fantastic hit from Tate.

And guess what? Sean Lee is hurt again. Shock!

NINEster

Reaction score
Church is justified in his desire for payback. Blowing up a player is one thing, but having to do it with your helmet to the chest is another.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
NINEster":2pjly3k4 said:
Church is justified in his desire for payback. Blowing up a player is one thing, but having to do it with your helmet to the chest is another.
Leaned in and hit him with the shoulders. Always gonna look like helmet to chest...like Kam's hit on VD right?

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Yeah but every team has fans butt hurt over old crap. There are Hawk fans still butt hurt about the Trent Cole arm/hip swing stuff that injured Okung and Docketts hit that injured Hasselbeck a few years ago. Fyi I still love that Lee hit to this day even if the No Fun League said it was illegal after the fact.

NINEster

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3iyjc19q said:
NINEster":3iyjc19q said:
Leaned in and hit him with the shoulders. Always gonna look like helmet to chest...like Kam's hit on VD right?

I'm sure you'll defend Donte Whitner's hit on Pierre Thomas as being the same thing, right?

Chancellor's hit is probably legal but borderline. I haven't studied it closely.

I commented on this because I've noticed a few comments on here about Willis' hit on Hasselbeck as being "dirty". I
rewatched the hit and it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. QB safety goes out the window when you are diving forward towards the goal line.

And looking at just player reps.....to me guys like Chancellor and Willis are just tough hard hitting defenders. Tate on the other hand has a dirty edge.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
-The Glove-":oy78y1vd said:
NINEster":oy78y1vd said:

Illegal blindside block is what they got him on. No flag was thrown for it in the game but during the week after the NFL fined Tate for it.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Tate still playing?I didn't see him in last weeks game..Anyway I will watch the game and see if Tate is active to take the shot..

homerun1970

Reaction score
Love Tate as a blocker and would like to see him get the upper hand on the boys and knock Church on his butt. Ninester there is a reason they say head on a swivel. If Lee hadn't been so focused on laying a huge hit on Russ, he may have seen the truck coming.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":1ktphbfg said:
Yeah but every team has fans butt hurt over old crap. There are Hawk fans still butt hurt about the Trent Cole arm/hip swing stuff that injured Okung and Docketts hit that injured Hasselbeck a few years ago. Fyi I still love that Lee hit to this day even if the No Fun League said it was illegal after the fact.
Hell yes I'm still sore of what Cole did, and it's in no way comparable to the Tate shot. Cole's crap came well, well after the whistle, was *completely* outside of football and a result of player just getting pissed off. In a league that actually valued sportsmanship and equitable response, Cole would have been suspended for a commensurate amount of time. When you injure someone with an intentional act well outside the run of play, you've really crossed a line.

Tate used his shoulder to wallop a (bigger) guy between the lines during a live play. Totally different.

What Dockett did might even be illegal in MMA.

Now Willis? Definitely a no-win situation. He had no choice but to dive into Hass' ribcage on that play. :roll: Clearly, No. 8 was just about to get up and scamper in for the TD there.

6BuRfvp

RichNhansom

Reaction score
NINEster":2jx8jssg said:
-The Glove-":2jx8jssg said:
NINEster":2jx8jssg said:

I'm sure you'll defend Donte Whitner's hit on Pierre Thomas as being the same thing, right?

Chancellor's hit is probably legal but borderline. I haven't studied it closely.

I commented on this because I've noticed a few comments on here about Willis' hit on Hasselbeck as being "dirty". I
rewatched the hit and it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. QB safety goes out the window when you are diving forward towards the goal line.

And looking at just player reps.....to me guys like Chancellor and Willis are just tough hard hitting defenders. Tate on the other hand has a dirty edge.

I have no clue how you compare Tates hit to Whitners. Whitners hit was a text book definition of helmet to helmet. No dabating it. Even trying to debate it makes you look foolish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss2dn_QI5kE

Tates hit on Lee was at least an attempt to hit him in the chest. You could argue both ways if his helmet hit Lee's helmet or if he led his helmet into Lee's chest but IMO the only reason there was a fine after the fact is because Jerry complained. If that was a Cowboy making the same exact hit there is no fine.

Also Tate is not dirty. Have no idea where you get that. He can be immature but dirty is not a good description of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3QfYYUYsuA

Kamtrack's hit on VD is the pure definition of text book. Again, no debating it. That one was even confirmed by the league.

Willis hit on Matt sucked but there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's football.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":1vdlxuam said:
Bigbadhawk":1vdlxuam said:
Hell yes I'm still sore of what Cole did, and it's in no way comparable to the Tate shot. Cole's crap came well, well after the whistle, was *completely* outside of football and a result of player just getting pissed off. In a league that actually valued sportsmanship and equitable response, Cole would have been suspended for a commensurate amount of time. When you injure someone with an intentional act well outside the run of play, you've really crossed a line.

Tate used his shoulder to wallop a (bigger) guy between the lines during a live play. Totally different.

What Dockett did might even be illegal in MMA.

Now Willis? Definitely a no-win situation. He had no choice but to dive into Hass' ribcage on that play. :roll: Clearly, No. 8 was just about to get up and scamper in for the TD there.

6BuRfvp

You can rationalize it how you want but it just supports my case. Every team has fans that are still butt hurt over crap from prior seasons including Seattle fans. Its a double standard when someone wants to mock another team fans when their own fans do the same stuff. I don't see an issue if someone wants to be upset over stuff from years past, its the double standard by some people (not implying you VivaEfrenHerrera) how when its only okay for Seattle fans to do it but not other teams.

drdiags

Reaction score
That Hasselbeck injury sucked but once he became a runner and dived forward, he is open to the type of shot Willis put on him. It is how defenses discourages QBs from running. If you watch RBs run, they are always taking these type of hits. Very rarely do you see Unsportsmanlike penalties called on late hits to RBs already down. Just the way it goes.

Boys and their fan (including their owner) felt Tate's hit was not legit. The league fined him. To me it was the type of hit I grew up seeing football players make, The league says they don't want these type of hits, so though I think it is weak, it is the new way football is officiated and "player safety" concerns were emphasized in the rule books.

I think fans get too much glee out of trying to point out how they feel others are babies but yet would be the first to call foul when their own get lit up.

BASF

Reaction score
If Tate had hit him in the legs instead of lining him up shoulder to chest it would have hurt Lee much worse. I pity any player who has a problem with the block Tate made. If Lee had been paying attention, everyone would have said that it was absolutely a perfect block. The only reason that Tate got a fine was leaving his feet a little that lifted his head into Lee's creating the whiplash effect. Lee is totally culpable for not realizing the guy who he was covering while in his zone had turned into a blocker when Wilson decided to run. Honestly, it's like the offensive players aren't supposed to block for a runner. Stupidity.

trharder

Reaction score
I think the hit on Lee by Tate was more embarrassing to Lee and Dallas than dirty. Kam's hit on VD was totally legal. The refs just couldn't believe their eyes. I hope Dallas doesn't hurt Tate because I'm still hoping for Kam to get him. Tate was a great player for us, but I think he nearly upset the chemistry of this team with his stupidity.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
NINEster":25w3ww0p said:
-The Glove-":25w3ww0p said:
NINEster":25w3ww0p said:

I have referred to that hit on Hasselbeck before but I never said it was dirty. I said that the fans cheered the injury. Even the Niner board was lit up with glee that Hass was cracked. It wasn't a "dirty" hit. It did change the course of the season.

In fact the actual context that I used it was more about the situation it made for Cards fans. Those nimrods were on their "dynasty" trip that survived 2 years at 9-7 and 10-6. I like Willis, totally understand the play.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Lee got cracked because he wasn't paying attention to his path. He was watching the runner and Tate was a live blocker.

That is the least of their concerns if the Boys make it back here for another game. Whatever memories they enjoyed of getting that win will be knocked back to 1995.

rjdriver

Reaction score
trharder":2rhqau9t said:
I think the hit on Lee by Tate was more embarrassing to Lee and Dallas than dirty. Kam's hit on VD was totally legal. The refs just couldn't believe their eyes. I hope Dallas doesn't hurt Tate because I'm still hoping for Kam to get him. Tate was a great player for us, but I think he nearly upset the chemistry of this team with his stupidity.

His stupidity of accepting a $31 million dollar deal over a low ball offer from The Hawks?

I'm confused. I don't get it, maybe you mean something else.

BASF

Reaction score
rjdriver":48lm2ows said:
trharder":48lm2ows said:

His stupidity of accepting a $31 million dollar deal over a low ball offer from The Hawks?

I'm confused. I don't get it, maybe you mean something else.

Being down with O.P.P. when it is a teammates is definitely stupidity.