9ers and Shanny?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Shanahan is the one that's had me intrigued since it became pretty clear Harbaugh was gone.

I know what Chris is sayin about injury, but I honestly think a lot of that is RGIIIs own inability to get down or out of bounds and not take the hit.

I'm usually not a fan of retread coaches...but he's got a history with QBs, he can get the run game going anywhere he goes, and he wouldn't have to run the D.

No idea if it would work, but it is interesting.

Largent80

Reaction score
I hated ratface when he was in Denver, it would be easy to revive it. They are scrapin' the bottom of the barrel.

chris98251

Reaction score
Marvin49":3vhagw4f said:
Shanahan is the one that's had me intrigued since it became pretty clear Harbaugh was gone.

I know what Chris is sayin about injury, but I honestly think a lot of that is RGIIIs own inability to get down or out of bounds and not take the hit.

I'm usually not a fan of retread coaches...but he's got a history with QBs, he can get the run game going anywhere he goes, and he wouldn't have to run the D.

Wasn't just RGIII, Elway was hammered as well under Shanahan, as was Jake Plummer.

endzorn

Reaction score
I would love it. More so than even Holmgren. Every coach has a giant ego, but his borders on delusion and he'd be a perfect match for Baalke. Remember when they hired Dennis Erickson? I'd feel the same way about Shanahan.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Baalke ain't hiring Shanahan. I'm telling you guys Baalke is gonna hire a no name guy that a bunch of us have never heard of. For Baalke to hire a big name guy, he would have to give up some power...not gonna happen.

kearly

Reaction score
Maybe I am way off base, but when I think of Shanahan I think about how he seems to specialize in putting mobile QBs into highly structured offenses. Kaepernick is a mobile QB who requires structure. I don't know if it's that simple though, Shanahan's type of structure might not be the right kind for Kaep. Another point in Shanahan's favor is that Kaepernick is arguably the most durable QB in the NFL.

Shanahan is terrible at evaluating defensive talent. Baalke is decent at it. In that sense, they are a good fit together, but the ego battles could be legendary.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1qnl5wif said:
Marvin49":1qnl5wif said:

Wasn't just RGIII, Elway was hammered as well under Shanahan, as was Jake Plummer.
Interesting isn't it that ..1)his teams always ran the ball well (2) his offense(s) ran the zone read blocking ..
Same things we do yet the qb gets hit a lot or pressured..

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1jfikd9l said:
Remember his Redskin propaganda -- he referred to himself as "the ultimate leader". Who does that?

That dude is arrogant beyond all belief, he won Superbowls with a vet Elway and TD -- he's a total asshole and a backstabber. He backstabs his fellow coaches, his QB's, his own son. He'd screw over anyone to fluff his own ego and push the blame elsewhere. He absolutely ruined Jake Plummer and RG3 - turned them into physical and mental wrecks -- read Plummers interviews and such -- dude was damn near suicidal at one point.

As much as I dislike the 49ers, I just don't want to see that guy inflict himself on Kap, that kid deserves better than that.

this is 100% correct on top of it he's a liar. The players will quickly comes to hate this guy.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Oh please let this happen.

Shanahan is one of the most overrated coaches in the history of the NFL. This would be glorious.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":33338lxz said:
Northhawk":33338lxz said:
The_Z_Man":33338lxz said:
Remember his Redskin propaganda -- he referred to himself as "the ultimate leader". Who does that?

Isn't that a certain North Korean leader's title?
That was Supreme Leader, I think; no?

Nah, it is "Dear Leader" but don't tell him I said that.

....seriously that is what it is.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":1io7klln said:
Maybe I am way off base, but when I think of Shanahan I think about how he seems to specialize in putting mobile QBs into highly structured offenses. Kaepernick is a mobile QB who requires structure. I don't know if it's that simple though, Shanahan's type of structure might not be the right kind for Kaep. Another point in Shanahan's favor is that Kaepernick is arguably the most durable QB in the NFL.

Shanahan is terrible at evaluating defensive talent. Baalke is decent at it. In that sense, they are a good fit together, but the ego battles could be legendary.

That's exactly where I'm at with it.

The idea of Shanahan has intrigued me for awhile. I'm not completely sold on it, but it does seem intriguing.

The key though is that the offense is his baby and they need to keep Vic to run the D. He's still under contract and they denied the Redskins the ability to talk to him as a DC.

Shanahan also resolves another problem..IE, will Vic want to stay if a no name guy comes in as the HC?

There are a myriad of things that could go wrong here (although I think the ego thing is overblown...if that were really an issue I kinda don't think Shanahan or Rex would even be on the radar) so I don't want to paint it as a slam dunk, but letting Shanahan work with Kap sounds like a plan (he did well with Young and Elway and say what you want but Cutler and RGIII played well with Shanahan) and it might also bring the return of a dominant run game. I think Hyde in particular would play well in a zone-blocking scheme and Shanahan has been able to make that thing work in every stop with a ton of different backs (Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary, Clinton Portis, and Alfred Morris among others).

Do they have the O-Line personnel to run it though? Dunno.

Sherman4Prez

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":2jvmv00h said:
As much as I dislike the 49ers, I just don't want to see that guy inflict himself on Kap, that kid deserves better than that.

Huh? No he doesn't. Shannahan will have Kap diving head first into guys like Cham, Honey Badger, and STL's McDonald. I think that's exactly what he deserves. And then Shannahan would be fired and have another victimized QB on his resume. Perfect!