Why Is Everyone Crowning Arians COY?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I don't really get all the hype for Arians as COY. I just listened to a national radio broadcast for about an hour in the car today, and about 80% of the people that called in said Arians should be COY in the NFC.

Last time I checked, Cardinals lost their final 3 games, and 5 of their last 7 (including the playoff game). How on earth is that Coach of the year material? Not to mention his team got absolutely smoked on national tv at home in the most important game of the year. And yes I'm well aware of all the injuries that Arizona went through.

I think Arians is a good coach, but if he gets this award, I'll be a little upset. It's not like the Cards came out of nowhere. They won 10 games last year. I also thought he made a major mistake when he started talking about the superbowl midway through the season.....ummm last time I checked you haven't even locked up the division. Talk about putting a lot of pressure on your own players. PC would never bring up the superbowl in the same manner that Arians did. Big mistake on Bruce's part in my opinion.

If I had a vote I'd probably give it to Jason Garrett, just because most everyone gave the Cowboys no chance and they had a great season. Garrett has taken a lot of scrutiny the past few years, but he deserves a lot of credit this year. My second choice would be Pete Carroll.

Just my two cents. Would love to hear what others think. Chime in everyone!

knownone

Reaction score
I agree. Arians gets credit for surviving the loss of Palmer and making the playoffs, but let's face, if that team was forced to start Stanton and Lindley all year they probably win 5 games. They were one of the worst playoff team I've ever seen.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I think the Cardinals entire coaching staff in general should earn it. They've missed big players on both sides of the ball but have compensated remarkably. They went 6-3 in games with Drew Stanton; including wins against the 49ers, Chiefs and Detroit. Even with a great defense it's a huge achievement to win six of nine NFL games with Drew Stanton at QB, and without a running game no less.

Not only have they got the best out of Stanton though, but Antonio Cromartie's been one of the better CBs in the league this year after looking like he was on the decline.

Good shout on Garrett. 8-0 on a road schedule that included Seattle is nuts. He's probably second on my list but I've seen a few games this year where he's inexplicably kept starters in, running Murray into the ground and risking Romo's life let alone career.

salamander

Reaction score
How Pete Carroll hasn't gotten any recognition for what he's done just baffles me. In todays NFL the Seahawks play a unique brand of football and are dominant at it. People say we're good at drafting, but in reality we're good at teaching/coaching. We draft on potential and teach them to be great. Our draft picks wouldn't be as good on other teams.

Sherman4Prez

Reaction score
knownone":prcxb0ce said:
I agree. Arians gets credit for surviving the loss of Palmer and making the playoffs, but let's face, if that team was forced to start Stanton and Lindley all year they probably win 5 games. They were one of the worst playoff team I've ever seen.

Yep, would have won about the same number of games as STL who didn't have their QB all year. I don't see anybody talking about Fisher and that's rightfully so. Arians should not get it.

GB's coach should get it but ultimately that's because they have Rogers.

el capitan

Reaction score
salamander":kmudgnle said:
How Pete Carroll hasn't gotten any recognition for what he's done just baffles me. In todays NFL the Seahawks play a unique brand of football and are dominant at it. People say we're good at drafting, but in reality we're good at teaching/coaching. We draft on potential and teach them to be great. Our draft picks wouldn't be as good on other teams.

Pete should have won it in 2012, now the team is a perennial contender he has no chance.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Carroll isn't receiving hype for CoY for the same reason Belechick isn't. It's almost expected now that 10+ wins and the playoffs are the norm.

getnasty

Reaction score
If they want to Crown his ass, then Crown it, but Arians is who we thought he was.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Just seems like everyone made up their mind weeks ago with Arians as COY, yet his team has barely shown up the past month and a half. I hate the logic of...."lets give him COY because of all the injuries."

What Pete has done is pretty amazing. Teams rarely bounce back a year after they win the superbowl, not to mention how PC righted the ship after we started 3-3.

And it's not like Stanton is a scrub, drop off from Palmer to Stanton is not as big as people think.

They can give it to him, i really don't care. Arians can have COY, we'll take the Lombardi. :D

pehawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":9giql2ss said:
Both Pete and John have been overlooked the last few years.

The Schneider snub in 2012 legitimately pissed me off.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Largent80":3r3l7nx7 said:
We broke the Tards.

The Rams did. They're the ones who broke their two quarterbacks.

Arians deserves COTY .. not his fault he was down to a 4th ("3rd") string QB in the playoffs.

the ditch

Reaction score
I'm not sure, his own hubris that he could pass Lindley off as a real quarterback instead of at least trying Thomas or say picking up a FA veteran to me is a huge flaw in his ability to coach.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Most useles award in sports. Not just in the NFL, but sports.

Let's look at some recent winners:

Ron Rivera
Mike Smith
Lovie Smith
Dick Jauron

In the NBA:
Sam Mitchell
Avery Brown
Mike Brown

Tom Landry only won once and Chuck Knoll and Geroge Seifert never won. Jerry Sloan never won once in the NBA.

Coach of the year should be the Super Bowl winner. That's the ultimate goal and why the game is played.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Anyone watching yesterday's game who votes for him is a fool.

Latest posts