Detroit @ Dallas Penalties

gulliver

Reaction score
So far the penalty battle is a dead heat: both teams with 5 (mid-post update: scales have now tipped heavily in Dallas' favor):

However, Dallas is getting away with some *really* rancid no-calls. Other than the usual no-calls on the Dallas OL, they have had some really ugly no-call defensive holds which have even gotten the booth guys talking. Important ones, as in 3rd down holds that go un-called.

And as they're saying now, that no-call DPI on #59--which left even the hated Mike Pereira scratching his head and saying it was a bad call--is the call of the playoffs so far... they call it, it stands for a good 75 seconds in real time, and without warning or explanation--as if prompted by Jason Garrett himself--they pick up the flag, thereby ending Detroit's long drive and forcing DET to punt. As I write, Dallas is now working its way down the field, and just enjoyed a defensive holding call on their own. Scratch that--make it TWO defensive holding calls! This is insane!

That said, if we end up playing Dallas again, we have GOT to take care of that open RB/TE/WR hanging out over the middle on every 3rd down and every time the play breaks... that has been their bread and butter all season long and they've burned everyone on it.

Easier said than done, but if we end up playing Dallas, you have to take it out of the officials' hands because they are going to get a few winks from the referees every game, and a few more if they're playing Seattle. I'm talking never let them sniff within 10 points...

hawkfannj

Reaction score
That bull crap PI call announcement then the flag picked up after was utter BS .
Sometimes I wonder why I watch NFL football

Barakas

Reaction score
The good news is that if Dallas does win (which looks likely) they travel to GB, the other darling of the NFL. So, at least one of the NFL darlings gets eliminated.

It will be funny to see which way the calls go in that game.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
gulliver":2akeqtgh said:
That said, if we end up playing Dallas again, we have GOT to take care of that open RB/TE/WR hanging out over the middle on every 3rd down and every time the play breaks... that has been their bread and butter all season long and they've burned everyone on it.

Absolutely right, and I am absolutely not worried about it. Between Kam and BWags, we own the middle of the field.

- bsd RPA

BigBill1945

Reaction score
That face guarding penalty flag pick up was something. I have never seen the zebras pick up a flag after a penalty like that was called. WTF?? Lots of holding by Dullass.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
SeatownJay":r4js6edl said:
Geologic":r4js6edl said:
Tyrion Smith was holding on Tony Romo's last touchdown pass.

https://twitter.com/TheBlackHippiii/sta ... 8319351808
Also watch #66 of Dallas belly flopping on a defender on the ground. Carpenter was flagged for that in Washington, but Dallas does it and it's ignored.

If you look closely it looks like he takes him down to the ground gets on top of him and then picks him up and slams his head on the ground...watch for that..it sure looks like it to me

kearly

Reaction score
I love this reaction, if only because it taints a Dallas playoff win.

To be fair though, there was a running into the kicker penalty early in the game that was 99.999% flop. The Dallas player grazed a few fibers of the punters sock, and then the punter stepped on the Dallas player and feigned death. That penalty took away good field position for Dallas and actually set up a 99 yard TD drive for Detroit.

So it wasn't all bad, but to everyone's point, this game DID feel like home cookin' in the 4th quarter.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":33ts3j99 said:

To be fair though, there was a running into the kicker penalty early in the game that was 99.999% flop. The Dallas player grazed a few fibers of the punters sock, and then the punter stepped on the Dallas player and feigned death. That penalty took away good field position for Dallas and actually set up a 99 yard TD drive for Detroit.

So it wasn't all bad, but to everyone's point, this game DID feel like home cookin' in the 4th quarter.
I'm also hoping the outcry is so prevalent that they abandon all thought of mixed crews ever again.

I'm also hopeful that it will make the league very sensitive to fairness in its officiating and the refs will be told to 'make sure it's a penalty' before throwing the flag. That will only help the Seahawks.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1kc1s2fj said:
kearly":1kc1s2fj said:

I'm also hoping the outcry is so prevalent that they abandon all thought of mixed crews ever again.

I'm also hopeful that it will make the league very sensitive to fairness in its officiating and the refs will be told to 'make sure it's a penalty' before throwing the flag. That will only help the Seahawks.
I hope you are right, but I think the NFL does what it wants to do and doesn't care what anyone thinks about it.

The Hawks screwed up their agenda in XLVIII and they damn well wanna make sure it doesn't happen again. "Desired results" = big $$$. Just think how many T-shirts they can sell crowing about Dallas having 6 Lombardis. That huge *allas hilljack fanbase will eat that crap up. The NFL is now the WWE, congrats Rog! :pukeface:

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
I guess I'm in the minority (alone?) but I didn't really hate the flag pick-up.

OK, let me backtrack. The pick-up, with no explanation, after the announcement was super weird and fishy as all hell. That part stunk. But I didn't hate the fact that they turned it into a no-call.

The pass was significantly under-thrown and the receiver really had no shot at getting it -- the db had "position", in this case between the ball and the receiver. I get the whole "if you don't turn your head, they'll call it every time" thing that is supposedly the way in the NFL these days. But we all know that ain't true, right? It's always going to be called selectively based on judgement at the time.

To me, a PI flag there would have been a total bail-out on a play that had very little chance of success even if there was no contact at all.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sorry, that's textbook DPI regardless of how anyone wants to spin it. That call and a few other and non calls were all about getting the Cowsquirts into the Super Bowl. Expect more of the same in the next 2 *allas games. The only way the C'turds lose is via early blowout.

The Lions only crime was allowing the D-bags to hang around close enough to where the *allas "penalty flag defense/offense" could take over the game. The NFL should be embarrassed of that game today, but they wont be because the go their "desired results".