Yorks and 49ers getting sued for discrimination

Marvin49

Reaction score
-The Glove-":2nnpwz2c said:
Hope those old farts have more than that

That's what I was thinking. Seems pretty thin.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
If that's true about York wanting to have younger staff because that's what the Silicon Valley tech workforce looks like--Oh Jesus what an idiot. So what would he do if Pete Carroll was available? It's totally aribitrary and has nothing to do with football, and more like this dip**** yuppie want a certain LOOK in his org. God, Harbs might've had a point in some of the disputes those two had. I suspect SF is going to be in the toilet for as long as York is running the place. Is that why they didn't want Holmgren?

Jville

Reaction score
Yet another blow to the perceived integrity and character of Jed York.

Apparently he dislikes soccer in addition to disliking old people.

Wonder how Jed feels about his old parents and their fate in his mind.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
17. In 2010, Defendant Jed York, the CEO of the 49ers, was actively looking for additional revenue streams for the 49ers, including making active attempts to move the San Francisco 49ers to a new stadium in Silicon Valley, so that the 49ers could be rebranded as a team within the NFL that was “technology” driven. As part of that strategy, York hired Gideon Yu, a former executive at Facebook, YouTube, and Yahoo. Defendant York hired Mr. Yu as the 49ers’ Chief Strategy Officer, and, in April 2011, York informed the employees that Mr. Yu would be working closely with him to re-brand the 49ers as a technology “startup” within the NFL, so that they could achieve their objective of moving the 49ers to a new stadium in Silicon Valley. When Mr. Yu arrived for work at the 49ers, he openly referred to the older workers as “legacy employees,” a discriminatory term used to describe older employees in Silicon Valley.

18. As part of that technology strategy, in December 2012, Defendant York openly admitted that he wanted to hire the predominantly younger technology workers from the neighboring Silicon Valley technology companies. When asked why the 49ers wanted to hire these young technology workers, York said, “Because they made a lot of money, they did a lot of cool things before they turned 40 years old, and they don’t want to go play golf six days a week.” As a result, York and his staff engaged in an active strategy to quietly recruit younger technology workers to join the management and senior leadership ranks of the 49ers.

19. In order to make room for the younger technology workers, York engaged in a campaign to terminate the older, senior managers within the 49ers organization. For example, when York was reviewing the resumes of potential employees in late-2010, York was faced with two potentially qualified candidates for the job. When asked which of the two candidates he wanted to hire, York said, “Let’s go with the younger one.”

http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/1/6/75 ... awsuit-pdf

Jed York = douche
Jed-York-fist-pump-Jim-Harbaugh-49ers.jpg

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2015":26kzmpmq said:
17. In 2010, Defendant Jed York, the CEO of the 49ers, was actively looking for additional revenue streams for the 49ers, including making active attempts to move the San Francisco 49ers to a new stadium in Silicon Valley, so that the 49ers could be rebranded as a team within the NFL that was “technology” driven. As part of that strategy, York hired Gideon Yu, a former executive at Facebook, YouTube, and Yahoo. Defendant York hired Mr. Yu as the 49ers’ Chief Strategy Officer, and, in April 2011, York informed the employees that Mr. Yu would be working closely with him to re-brand the 49ers as a technology “startup” within the NFL, so that they could achieve their objective of moving the 49ers to a new stadium in Silicon Valley. When Mr. Yu arrived for work at the 49ers, he openly referred to the older workers as “legacy employees,” a discriminatory term used to describe older employees in Silicon Valley.

18. As part of that technology strategy, in December 2012, Defendant York openly admitted that he wanted to hire the predominantly younger technology workers from the neighboring Silicon Valley technology companies. When asked why the 49ers wanted to hire these young technology workers, York said, “Because they made a lot of money, they did a lot of cool things before they turned 40 years old, and they don’t want to go play golf six days a week.” As a result, York and his staff engaged in an active strategy to quietly recruit younger technology workers to join the management and senior leadership ranks of the 49ers.

19. In order to make room for the younger technology workers, York engaged in a campaign to terminate the older, senior managers within the 49ers organization. For example, when York was reviewing the resumes of potential employees in late-2010, York was faced with two potentially qualified candidates for the job. When asked which of the two candidates he wanted to hire, York said, “Let’s go with the younger one.”

Jed York = douche

Meh.

So easy to see the other side of all of these "complaints". Sounds to me like they just want to get paid. I've worked in Tech all my life...so it ain't like anything there is groundbreaking.

Just like any other walk of life INCLUDING football...if your employer thinks they can get your job done with someone younger and cheaper, they will. In a heartbeat.

Jville

Reaction score
hawknation2015":q6nk4ch0 said:

Jed York = douche

That is not being received all that well by older 49er fans in my neighborhood. Maybe an accompanying goal is to 86 "older" 49er fans as well.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":3ioccmlc said:
So easy to see the other side of all of these "complaints". Sounds to me like they just want to get paid. I've worked in Tech all my life...so it ain't like anything there is groundbreaking.

Just like any other walk of life INCLUDING football...if your employer thinks they can get your job done with someone younger and cheaper, they will. In a heartbeat.

Umm... Actually, Mr Melvin, among the myriad stupid things you've ever posted here that's right up there. Discrimination against people over 40 is just as federally illegal as discrimination against blacks. It's referred to as a 'protected group'. What you just said is "Meh, I've been working in Alabama for years and I've seen it a million times. If management doesn't want darkies, they just get fired. Nothing to see here, just move along."

Marvin49

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2md93v1k said:
Marvin49":2md93v1k said:

Umm... Actually, Mr Melvin, among the myriad stupid things you've ever posted here that's right up there. Discrimination against people over 40 is just as federally illegal as discrimination against blacks. It's referred to as a 'protected group'. What you just said is "Meh, I've been working in Alabama for years and I've seen it a million times. If management doesn't want darkies, they just get fired. Nothing to see here, just move along."

Sigh....

....so now I'm the same as a KKK member.

I thought I'd seen some amazing thing here on .net...but wow. Hyperbole out of control.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
Marvin49":3ifbtr00 said:
GeekHawk":3ifbtr00 said:
Marvin49":3ifbtr00 said:

Sigh....

I thought I'd seen some amazing thing here on .net...but wow. Hyperbole out of control.

Actually if you expand what your saying yes.

Example,

Manufacturing, lets keep younger workers with better dexterity and wages, nobody older then 28, but nobody younger then 23, youngsters have bad attendance and we don't get the return on training.

Construction, strength and stamina decrease after 40, so no workers over 40.

Across the board no workers over 50, they begin to have medical issues and require time off to address them.

Women, they have babies and monthly cycles that cause them to miss time, they also have emotional swings that can create personality conflicts, require all women that would like to be employed to have hysterectomy's and a no adopt clause.

People of color, the stats show people of color have a higher arrest record then those that are white, can't hire those either.

It can go on and on, that's why we have anti discrimination laws, age, race, gender, orientation, they are not enforced as they should be and corporations and governments are not standing up for those that it is being applied to, but that will come around again. People Like York and others are getting more blatant in who they look down upon, those ivory towers will crash down at some point.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Marvin49":1jvx4s6g said:
Meh.

Marvin, you sound overly callous to the issue of age discrimination in employment. If Jed shares this juvenile worldview, he's going to be in a heap of trouble.

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":n1foh86p said:
Marvin49":n1foh86p said:
GeekHawk":n1foh86p said:
Marvin49":n1foh86p said:

Sigh....

Actually if you expand what your saying yes.

Example,

Manufacturing, lets keep younger workers with better dexterity and wages, nobody older then 28, but nobody younger then 23, youngsters have bad attendance and we don't get the return on training.

Construction, strength and stamina decrease after 40, so no workers over 40.

Across the board no workers over 50, they begin to have medical issues and require time off to address them.

Women, they have babies and monthly cycles that cause them to miss time, they also have emotional swings that can create personality conflicts, require all women that would like to be employed to have hysterectomy's and a no adopt clause.

People of color, the stats show people of color have a higher arrest record then those that are white, can't hire those either.

It can go on and on, that's why we have anti discrimination laws, age, race, gender, orientation, they are not enforced as they should be and corporations and governments are not standing up for those that it is being applied to, but that will come around again. People Like York and others are getting more blatant in who they look down upon, those ivory towers will crash down at some point.

I get it.

Its discrimination. I wasn't trying to excuse it.

I've just worked with a lot of people in the Tech industry who let their skills become outdated, become rigid and don't want to learn and then just complain about how everything has changed. That isn't a 100% kinda thing because there are ALOT of older tech employees everywhere I've worked that get it.

The opinions of those people who have let the job pass them by is always that of a victim and that they were somehow being mistreated. In reality it was their own responsibility to stay up with the times and not let their skillset become stagnant...and that is ESPECIALLY the case in tech.

That's what I meant about "seeing the other side". I didn't mean "Its OK to have age standards", I meant I understood the desire to run like an energetic, cutting edge, tech company and I can see how an older employee not up to snuff can view it as ageism. Maybe it was and if so the 49ers should pay for it...I've just seen this complaint quite a bit and it was total BS.

If you are 59 years old, refuse to use email, and force everyone else to use antiquated forms of communication to talk to you, that might be a problem (and that's a real issue I've seen). If you set yourself up as someone who makes everyone elses job harder, you are ripe for getting removed from the situation.