Coaching Vacancies - You be the GM

pehawk

Reaction score
Who would you realistically hire and why and/or think will get hired and why....

Oakland ~ This is a good job. Lots of cap room and young good players where you want it; #1CB, OLB/PR, QB, MLB. What this team needs is instant credibility. A guy that, while he may not get a Lombardi, will at least get that franchise back to "even". Not knowing how old Marty Schottenheimer is, I'd say Wade Phillips would be perfect. He'll at least get that team respectable again, and they desperately need that as a jump off point.

Atlanta ~ Is it anyone BUT Rex Ryan for this job? That offense is so stacked with players and Tice as the OL coach, even Rex couldn't break it. Defensively they don't have players for a 4-3 or a 3-4, so, he'll have a blank slate and they'll be no worry over personnel. They have a good #1 CB...but that's about all there is to build on. Give it to Rex and hope he doesn't break the offense.

Chicago ~The older Tannohan, Mike, will get the gig. Two birds in one throw....get a coach with some credibility and its the best chance to ever recoup even a fraction of that Cutler investment. He'll probably fail, but, it's just what they need to do.

Buffalo ~ That team is sitting there, chalked full of talent. We all know about their defense, but that offense is nice too. They have GREAT skill players. Question is EJ Manuel, obviously. I think just because of the QB situation Buffalo will wait and get Bevell. They have to find out what they have in Manuel and I'm sure if any guy can help him, it'd be the guy who saw Russ work for 3 years.

Jets ~ Just a train wreck all the way around. Kearly likes to talk about guys drafted to the worst places possible, and that's Geno. I think he'd be okay anywhere else than under Rex the past two years. I think they need a credible hire and I think it'll be Dan Quinn. NY loves defense and Quinn will have a nice resume in a few weeks.

49ers ~ I think they go McDaniels or Kyle Tannohan. I think they'll go offense since they can retain their defensive staff. They'll go offense so they can decide once and for all what and who Kap is or isn't. There's an outside shot the owner and FO have such a bad rep by this point even 1st time coaches pass. It could very well be a surprise hire that's a "yes" man. A Dennis Erickson or Lane Kiffin type hires we saw last decade...could be one of those.

Random note; there's not one HC candidate listed above I couldn't take in a fight. Not one.

Maulbert

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I just couldn't get past you mentioning Wade Phillips as a viable head coaching candidate. He holds the NFL record for having coached the most teams. Seriously. 3 time as a new hire, 3 times as an interim. New Orleans, Denver, Buffalo, Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston. He will never be a head coach again.

Rat

Reaction score
I really don't think Marrone would have opted out of the Bills job, unless he had very good reason to believe he would get the head position somewhere else.

I'd also be surprised if either Bowles or Quinn doesn't end up a head coach shortly, let alone both.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Maulbert":11qdbxm7 said:
I'm sorry, I just couldn't get past you mentioning Wade Phillips as a viable head coaching candidate. He holds the NFL record for having coached the most teams. Seriously. 3 time as a new hire, 3 times as an interim. New Orleans, Denver, Buffalo, Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston. He will never be a head coach again.

Maybe you should get one of those programs that can read things to you? If you actually read it you'd understand the thought process. It's not like I'd want Wade Phillips coaching a team I rooted for....I kind of laid out the reason.

Have you thought about just picture books, maybe? Scratch and sniff?

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Rat":72qdb7gd said:
I really don't think Marrone would have opted out of the Bills job, unless he had very good reason to believe he would get the head position somewhere else.

I'd also be surprised if either Bowles or Quinn doesn't end up a head coach shortly, let alone both.

Bowles would be a nice fit in Oakland.

Odd how things turn out, aye? I got ripped on this board two offseasons ago for saying Arians made the right call bringing Bowles in. Apparently I was stupid for saying that.

Agreed on Marrone. But, he's getting some bad press of late. Could make it kind of interesting.

Rat

Reaction score
I used to be a huge Bowles fan. Wanted us to hire him back when we had Mora. He's done an impressive job in Arizona.

It's really hard to see another team giving Phillips a chance, but if anyone is going to, I could see the Raiders. He's the kind of guy they'd settle on after everyone else turns them down, like when they have gave Art Shell another chance. I know it's a different guy doing the hiring now, but that job is still seen potential career suicide.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Rat":36x5v4j4 said:
I used to be a huge Bowles fan. Wanted us to hire him back when we had Mora. He's done an impressive job in Arizona.

It's really hard to see another team giving Phillips a chance, but if anyone is going to, I could see the Raiders. He's the kind of guy they'd settle on after everyone else turns them down, like when they have gave Art Shell another chance. I know it's a different guy doing the hiring now, but that job is still seen potential career suicide.

My Wade Phillips statement wasn't what I think would happen, just what would make sense. They need a safe, if even uninspiring, hire. They cant whiff on this...it's a good chance to build...Wade would at least get them to mediocre and a paper tiger every other year.

Rat

Reaction score
pehawk":s4xst25y said:
Rat":s4xst25y said:

My Wade Phillips statement wasn't what I think would happen, just what would make sense. They need a safe, if even uninspiring, hire. They cant whiff on this...it's a good chance to build...Wade would at least get them to mediocre and a paper tiger every other year.

It could make sense for them. It's kinda like all the free agent signings they made last offseason (Jones, Tuck, Jones-Drew, etc). Those aren't guys who are going to put you over the hump, but this team has been so far down for so long now, they need to at least get back to respectable. Phillips won't be the head coach of a Super Bowl team, but he brings enough experience to get them to a point where they may be able to lure in credible coaches again.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I love Pep Hamilton to the Raiders. Just need a RB to make it work.
Totally agree on Rex to the Falcons.
Also agree that Shannahan to the Bears makes sense because of Cutler, but he has gutted defenses where ever he goes, and that D is already gutted. And in their history, the Bears do not hire big names. Ever. They might surprise and hire a Mike Del Rio.

Buffalo has to be reeling from what Marrone did. I can see them waiting for Quinn or Bevell. I think the Jets and them will fight over Quinn, loser gets Bevell.

And SF. I think the owner's youth movement has him getting Shannahan the younger, Kyle. He will think Kyle can weave some RGIII magic with Kaep.

Personally, I think Kyle, the wimpiest of all the HC candidates, could whip your ass. Hell, I think a 90 year old Marv Levy could prolly seduce your woman right in front of you.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
The word out of Buffalo is it was actually the owner that called Marrone's bluff. I know the national media has spun it the other way, but word is Marrone was trying to get more money through this little game. Marrone didn't think new owner would dare let a 9-7 guy walk.

The Buffalo owner sent a message.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Wish more college coaches would make the jump, I feel like they're in general more fresh and innovative. I'd love to see what Urban Meyer would do in the nfl.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":12vsvf0j said:
Wish more college coaches would make the jump, I feel like they're in general more fresh and innovative. I'd love to see what Urban Meyer would do in the nfl.

Totally agree. I think A&M dude gets a gig soon.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":15qewggj said:
The word out of Buffalo is it was actually the owner that called Marrone's bluff. I know the national media has spun it the other way, but word is Marrone was trying to get more money through this little game. Marrone didn't think new owner would dare let a 9-7 guy walk.

Did not know that.

Who am I kidding anyway. Bevell is here forever.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I haven't thought much about this until just now, but it was fun.

Just spit-ballin':

Oakland - Bevell. Developing the QB should be priority #1. Even if this coach flames out in a few years, at least Carr would still be better for the tutelage. Carr has some of the improvisational touch of Favre and Wilson. Bevell can bring him along slowly as the team adds pieces. Am I crazy or is this a good fit?

Atlanta - Bowles. The offense is already there. Bowles might be able to get the defensive talent to play above its ability. That blitz attack will be fast in the dome. Rex is viable for the same reason.

Chicago - Quinn. Get back to BEARS football, plus they already run 4-3 and have the personnel. His O-coordinator will be key.

Buffalo - Cable or Reich? This is a tough one. A lot of talent but no answer whatsoever at QB. I could see them just go all-in on D (w/ Quinn or Rex), but they already have Schwartz? Barring a hit at QB in the draft, BUF needs to learn how to run or throw conservatively. Cable gets you running. Reich could try to recreate SD's short stuff offense.

Jets - See Buffalo (except less talented). I actually think Quinn gets this job, but someone like Cable or Reich might give them a bigger immediate boost.

49ers - Don't fire Harbaugh. That's what I would've done. I hope they hire McDaniels, Gase or Mora, Jr., though. Most overrated guys in the candidate pool. I expect that they go with a Shanahan, unless Oakland lands Mike S.

Sterlinghawk

Reaction score
Id like to see san fran hire mora jr just for potential rivalry rejuvenation.

Its not gonna be the same without jh

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":174n4bx1 said:
pehawk":174n4bx1 said:

Did not know that.

Who am I kidding anyway. Bevell is here forever.

Theres some great Bills guys on twitter to follow. Sounds like the Bills owner doesn’t play. I think that owner is a great one, and it'll flash soon. Marrone played alot of Harbaugh at Stanford type mind games. He's not liked, at all. I still like their QB as well....Marrone called some odd games there.

Love the Pep idea, he looks to be the real deal. I think Bevell would get owned in Oakland...not a strong enough personality.

49ers job is the wild card, it could be a crazy hire.

I love threads like this. Not self-smelling my mule, just saying.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
If San Fran wants a Shanny, it is the younger. The older will want Baalke's authority. The younger can claim play calling was why RGIII was good, without the blame for running him into the ground, which hangs on daddio.

They won't let Fangio interview elsewhere. I really like that guy. If they are smart, they satisfy the rooney rule with Bowles, then give the job to Fangio. But Fangio is an old guy, and doesn't jive with boy Jed IMO. Still, they must be living in fear of losiing their D, which is enough reason to keep Fangio all by itself. I bet he is kicking himself for signing a 2 year deal now.

Rex to the Falcons is just such a fit. The QB he never had, just get an OC and a RB, then coach defense.

Pep and the Raiders is perfect, Carr could use his QB friendly system, though they need a RB too. He has had 3-4 D in his last two gigs, so the Raiders don't have to change defensive philosophies either. Though the Raiders have some power scheme offensive linemen run blocking a zone scheme, and it showed. Pep would have to change that. Bevell would probably want to change the D.

I have no bead on the Bills. Do they need a QB developer, a QB, or both? They are the 2011 Hawks. They might be a fit for a guy like Bevell. 3 years Bevell ahs been in line for a job, he might be desperate enough now to take one even with the Patriots looming over every decision. My darkhorse for the Bill job, and a perfect fit? Bo Pelini.

THe Jets job I don't wish on anyone. With Casserly and whoever else Woody can scrape together from the NFL old guard to advise him, they are likely to build a GM strong traditional model, so an Old Shanny is out of the question. Hanging over them all the time is Belicheck. They already tried borrowing his magic once. It didn't work. They would have given all the power to Harbaugh, but they aren't any other guys like him out there, except Shanny, whose track record is to gut defenses while spending all his resources on offense.

Chicago is perfect for Shanny, the more I think about it. The resources are in place on offense already, and it would allow ownership to feel good about keeping Cutler. Shanny would build an O-line, and it is impossible for him to wreck the defense. Forte would become expendable, he likes his RBs a bit sturdier. Only problem is that the divison has Rodgers. Takes some of the shine off the job. And the track record in Chicago of never paying for coaches.

I don't think Bowles get hired. Some idiot will talk Rooney rule, but a whole season of really good D evaporated at the end, and exposed the very risky nature of what he does. Which is fine in DC, but not great in a HC. He would have to have a strong QB system already in place wherever he goes, and that is rare indeed.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well it appears the 49ers job the Hire won't even get to choose his own staff or players, how many Coaches want that situation, it will be a up and comer or assistant. That FO doesn't want anyone that can claim they were hamstrung so Coaches with a name and media ties won't be hired.

kearly

Reaction score
Nice topic Pe. The Tannohan name got me good.

I honestly can't say anything in here that hasn't already been said, but I'll say it anyway.

When thinking of college coaches, like J, my first thought was Urban Meyer. He's not exactly like Chip Kelly, but like Kelly he's proven that his spread offense works everywhere. I think his physical brand of football and the fact that he can seemingly win with any QB pulled randomly off the street would pay dividends in the NFL. If there is a coach who can turn EJ Manuel into a 10-6 starting QB, it's Meyer. Kaep too.

Rex to Atlanta needs to happen. Going from Mike Smith to Rex, that's an opposite hire if I've ever seen one in terms of personality. Plus it would be fun to see Ryan coach against his brother in the same division. I can already see the GIFs.

I would be shocked if Shanahan or McDaniels went to Santa Clara. Baalke and York are looking for a mousy yes man, and quite possibly a future scapegoat. Hiring someone with a huge ego after they ditched Harbaugh? I just can't see it.

Back when the Rex/Idzik getting fired rumors first started in November, I remember reading about how the Jets owner is still infatuated with Seattle's model and was of the opinion that Idzik failed because he wasn't a personnel guy. Seems ultra obvious to me that the Jets owner wants Trent Kirchner as GM pretty bad, with Quinn coming with him.

I've thought for a while that the Jets would wait if need be, and recent reports have suggested this is exactly what will happen. Like Pe, I could see the Jets settling for Bevell if they have to, but they will probably get Quinn. Should be interesting to see how much of our coaching staff Quinn takes with him.

Wherever Bevell goes, he would need to win quickly. The closest thing to Bevell coaching in the NFL right now is the guy in Miami, and his lack of personality has made his stay there a bit more tenuous than maybe it should be. A guy like that needs to win and win quick. He won't get the same benefit of the doubt that Jeff Fisher gets.

I am guessing that Chicago will probably hire a defensive coach most of us have never heard of, then explore a Cutler trade this offseason.