Bill Belicheat's Eligible Lineman Loophole

pehawk

Reaction score
What a sneaky worm that guy is. It aint cheating, but, damn. It's mad scientist brilliant.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":255igfu4 said:
What a sneaky worm that guy is. It aint cheating, but, damn. It's mad scientist brilliant.

I was occupied during most of that game, what happened?

SeatownJay

Reaction score
OkieHawk":3in18dtw said:
pehawk":3in18dtw said:

On one play the Patriots lined up with only 4 offensive linemen and had a running back go to the refs and declare himself ineligible. The Ravens were confused on who to cover and the Patriots picked up a 1st down.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/st ... -deception

OkieHawk

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1v41rp16 said:
OkieHawk":1v41rp16 said:
pehawk":1v41rp16 said:

On one play the Patriots lined up with only 4 offensive linemen and had a running back go to the refs and declare himself ineligible. The Ravens were confused on who to cover and the Patriots picked up a 1st down.

That's pretty devious, I like it.

ringless

Reaction score
I'm still confused watching it, I don't even see the RB. I just see 4 blockers and everyone else running down field

ringless

Reaction score
"It's a play that we thought would work," Belichick said. "We ran it three times, a couple different looks. We had six eligible receivers on the field, but only five were eligible. The one who was ineligible reported that he was ineligible. No different than on the punt team or a situation like that."

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
At least me and the Cards fan can nerd out on this cool new wrinkle. It's the NFL, "new" happens once every 30 years. What hoody did was "new".

irocdave

Reaction score
Hoodie and Pete Carroll are destined to lock horns this year for the SB. BB is a great coach, probably the best to ever stalk the sidelines. If the Hawks and Pats make it to the SB it will be an AWESOME matchup. Great coaches, reality of handing off the dynasty torch....Going to be a great game to watch. Not for fans of either team but for casual fans, it will be entertaining.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I thought you had to have five on the main offensive line, though. Vereen was past the first receiver.

Guess not?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
It's a gimmick because it's intended to exploit the ignorance of the referees. The rule requires that you "immediately report the change in [the receiver's] eligibility status to the Referee, who will inform the defensive team.

"He must participate in such eligible or ineligible position as long as he is continuously in the game, but prior to
each play he must again report his status to the Referee, who will inform the defensive team. The game
clock shall not be stopped, and the ball shall not be put in play until the Referee takes his normal position."

"While in the process of a substitution (or simulated substitution), the offense is prohibited from rushing quickly to the line of scrimmage and snapping the ball in an obvious attempt to cause a defensive foul (i.e., too many men on the field). If, in the
judgment of the officials, this occurs, the following procedure will apply:
(a) The Umpire will stand over the ball until the Referee deems that the defense has had a reasonable
time to complete its substitutions.

(b) If a play takes place and a defensive foul for too many players on the field results, no penalties will be
enforced, except for personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct, and the down will be replayed. At
this time, the Referee will notify the head coach that any further use of this tactic will result in a penalty
for unsportsmanlike conduct."

knownone

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2xjeuofo said:
It's a gimmick because it's intended to exploit the ignorance of the referees. The rule requires that you "immediately report the change in [the receiver's] eligibility status to the Referee, who will inform the defensive team.

"He must participate in such eligible or ineligible position as long as he is continuously in the game, but prior to
each play he must again report his status to the Referee, who will inform the defensive team. The game
clock shall not be stopped, and the ball shall not be put in play until the Referee takes his normal position."

"While in the process of a substitution (or simulated substitution), the offense is prohibited from rushing quickly to the line of scrimmage and snapping the ball in an obvious attempt to cause a defensive foul (i.e., too many men on the field). If, in the
(a) The Umpire will stand over the ball until the Referee deems that the defense has had a reasonable

(b) If a play takes place and a defensive foul for too many players on the field results, no penalties will be
enforced, except for personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct, and the down will be replayed. At
this time, the Referee will notify the head coach that any further use of this tactic will result in a penalty
This... The refs were more confused than the Ravens. This is less tactical genius more desperate trickery.

themunn

Reaction score
I've never watched a game where the refs haven't gone "number 68 is ineligible on this play" or "number 71 is eligible on this play", but they didn't do it there. That's why Harbaugh went mental on the sideline, because there was no way for them to tell which of the players was ineligible.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
knownone":1ikvgpiw said:
hawknation2015":1ikvgpiw said:

This... The refs were more confused than the Ravens. This is less tactical genius more desperate trickery.
This. More instance of exploiting the officials then their opponent. Bush league.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Hopefully intentionally embarrassing the officials in a play off game will come back to bite Lord Hoodie in the arse.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2usqdjfe said:
I thought you had to have five on the main offensive line, though. Vereen was past the first receiver.

Guess not?
I am wondering the same thing. Any time an extra O-lineman reports as eligible, he lines up in a place where an eligible receiver would line up, with the standard 5 linemen on the line, covered by a receiver on both sides.

If an eligible player reports as ineligible, I suppose that's fine, but then he'd have to line up where the ineligible players line up -- on the line, between the two receivers covering the line -- and then during the play, he wouldn't be able to go past the line of scrimmage. That clearly didn't happen.