Raiders to hire Jack Del Rio

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Del Rio is actually a good coach, which would make it a surprising hire for the Raiders. He has a solid defensive philosophy that is focused on stopping the run - 10 of the 17 defenses he has coached have finished the season ranked in the Top 6 in total defense.

Like Carroll, he grew up in the Bay Area and is known to be well liked by his players. He had a couple successful seasons in Jacksonville, going 12-4 and 11-5 with a playoff win. But he could not overcome the incompetent management of that franchise. His philosophy is simple - run the ball, stop the run, play through the whistle. It would be a mature hire by the Raiders, whom you can expect to play more physically on both sides of the ball if they make this hire.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Very good defensive mind, which means Mack will get a lot better.

But I am having a hard time seeing him pull Oakland out of the pit.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Great hire. He's smart enough to go get a OC who can develop Carr into the QB he looks to be, and otherwise whip the offense into shape while JDR can focus on rebuilding the defense.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Oakland contending in another 3 years (unless the ownership torpedoes him so they can move to LA)

- bsd

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
hawknation2015":11g80pwq said:
Del Rio is actually a good coach, which would make it a surprising hire for the Raiders. He has a solid defensive philosophy that is focused on stopping the run - 10 of the 17 defenses he has coached have finished the season ranked in the Top 6 in total defense.

Like Carroll, he grew up in the Bay Area and is known to be well liked by his players. He had a couple successful seasons in Jacksonville, going 12-4 and 11-5 with a playoff win. But he could not overcome the incompetent management of that franchise. His philosophy is simple - run the ball, stop the run, play through the whistle. It would be a mature hire by the Raiders, whom you can expect to play more physically on both sides of the ball if they make this hire.

wow, excellent post. I just learned a ton, thanks. :sarcasm_off:

joeseahawks

Reaction score
This is clearly another situation of privilege.
What has this guy won to deserve another shot at HC?
Was bad in Jacksonville. OK, not that bad ... but he has a losing record ...
His multi million $$$ defense couldn't stop Andrew Luck on Sunday.
yea he made it to the SB last season ... behind Manning record breaking offensive explosion ... lol
Don't get me wrong, I like the guy ... I just don't think he earned this second chance as HC by his performance ...

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
marko358":2vpkhm2b said:
Just learned there's no relation to Vanessa.
I got this joke but I'm old so..............

:D

I disagree with joseahawks above. I think Del Rio will do well in Oakland. Only guy that ever won a damned thing in J'ville.