larry fitzgerald / steve smith

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of signing guys who might be done, but if either became available they are exception if the price is right. Especially Fitz.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I agree it would be nice to add a veteran WR, but I don't see either of these guys as a realistic option.

Smith is still under contract with Baltimore if he decides to play next year.

Fitzgerald and Arizona have 14 million reasons to restructure his deal. Seahawks would not be able to afford that kind of money even if they acquired him via trade.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2tnc4ud3 said:
Fitzgerald and Arizona have 14 million reasons to restructure his deal. Seahawks would not be able to afford that kind of money even if they acquired him via trade.

I don't see Arizona and Fitzgerald agreeing on a new contract.

His cap hit is 23 million if they keep him. Combine that with his numbers being WAY down in 2014 (63 catches, 2 TD's) and it spells outright release to me.

I'm sure Larry wants to stay, but if you're the Cardinals FO, how can you tell him anything other than HUGE pay cut down to 4-5M a year tops for that kind of production. Normally when players are told huge pay cut, they walk.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":4dmjumnk said:
hawknation2015":4dmjumnk said:

His cap hit is 23 million if they keep him. Combine that with his numbers being WAY down in 2014 (63 catches, 2 TD's) and it spells outright release to me.

I'm sure Larry wants to stay, but if you're the Cardinals FO, how can you tell him anything other than HUGE pay cut down to 4-5M a year tops for that kind of production. Normally when players are told huge pay cut, they walk.

If they cut him outright, they lose $14.4 million in cap space (or $7.2 million for the next two seasons) AND they don't have Fitzgerald. That's why both parties have an incentive to restructure. Arizona is likely to offer him a better deal than anyone else in the market because of that dead money hit they would take on by releasing him. Can you imagine anyone else giving a 32 year old WR over $10 million per year? A much better option would be to trade him, but then they have to find a trading party willing to renegotiate this onerous contract themselves.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
hawknation2015":kndwble4 said:
Sgt. Largent":kndwble4 said:
hawknation2015":kndwble4 said:

If they cut him outright, they lose $14.4 million in cap space (or $7.2 million for the next two seasons) AND they don't have Fitzgerald. That's why both parties have an incentive to restructure. Arizona is likely to offer him a better deal than anyone else in the market because of that dead money hit they would take on by releasing him. Can you imagine anyone else giving a 32 year old WR over $10 million per year? A much better option would be to trade him, but then they have to find a trading party willing to renegotiate this onerous contract themselves.
I would love to have Fitz. One of my favorite wr on another team. He will restructure the contract with the team for the reasons above. It makes too much sense

Latest posts