Mike Shanahan in the mix for 49ers OC position?

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/report- ... n-49ers-oc

"Mike Shanahan, who interviewed for the 49ers’ head-coaching job two weeks ago, could reportedly be coming back to the organization as Jim Tomsula’s lead assistant.

Shanahan, 62, who last coached Washington in 2013 is still “in play” for the 49ers’ offensive coordinator position, reports Dianna Marie Russini of NBC4 in Washington. A league source confirmed Shanahan could take a spot on Tomsula’s staff."

Too good to be true. Guy has averaged a top ten offense over the last 14 seasons (that's starting after John Elway retired). At this point just a rumor, but as a 49er fan, I would be utterly thrilled. The scheme is perfect for Kaepernick.

Either way, without guys like this, Tomsula is as hopeless as Mario after he loses his power up.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
If you were Mike Shanahan and you've been a head coach all these years, would you go to San Francisco to be an assistant to a former D-Line coach who has no NFL head coaching experience?

If Shanny agrees to this, then props to him for having no ego. Then again, he might see it as a plus...he could be the true coach while Super Mario gets thrown under the bus if anything goes wrong.

OP
OP
5_Golden_Rings

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
HunnyBadger":jjir21mq said:
If you were Mike Shanahan and you've been a head coach all these years, would you go to San Francisco to be an assistant to a former D-Line coach who has no NFL head coaching experience?

If Shanny agrees to this, then props to him for having no ego. Then again, he might see it as a plus...he could be the true coach while Super Mario gets thrown under the bus if anything goes wrong.

^
If it were to happen, I see it as a result of (a) Head Coaching jobs drying up, and (b) a convenient stepping stone back into the HC arena. But his ego is apparently huge, so I find it very unlikely. Chudzinski seems the more likely OC.

pehawk

Reaction score
This is pure PR by York trying to compensate for yesterday's fiasco. Mike Tannohan is as likely to accept an OC job as I am as likely to be offered it.

You all are suckers...

homerun1970

Reaction score
Well lets see Shanny in DC had a athletic qb with a poor grass surface and destroyed him. What possible better landing place than a place with an athletic qb and a place they seem to not be able to get a good field. Nothing could go wrong here.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Never. Going. To. Happen.

A guy who has been coach and GM working for a line coach and a despotic GM? This is straight up deflection over yesterday.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
homerun1970":wy4g9a63 said:
Well lets see Shanny in DC had a athletic qb with a poor grass surface and destroyed him. What possible better landing place than a place with an athletic qb and a place they seem to not be able to get a good field. Nothing could go wrong here.

Sod was too fresh for this season, it will be fine by next season. Comparing DC's field to Levi's is like apples to oranges.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":32lodjil said:
homerun1970":32lodjil said:

Sod was too fresh for this season, it will be fine by next season. Comparing DC's field to Levi's is like apples to oranges.
Comparing grass to grass is like comparing apples to oranges? No wonder you rarely make sense.

Let me guess. Comparing Coors to Bud is like comparing Hippos to Giraffes?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2lves65p said:

A guy who has been coach and GM working for a line coach and a despotic GM? This is straight up deflection over yesterday.
This. That franchise is a dumpster fire right now. Why would he go and be An OC for a dysfunctional franchise when he's been a HC for all of these years. Plus I think "the rat" is one of the most over rated coaches in the NFL, so it wouldn't bother me if it happened.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I just don't see a big name going in under Tomsula. After seeing the press conference, I can see even no name guys turning the job down. Shanahan is not ever going to be a "yes" man and Baalke won't hire anything but a "yes" man. Baalke won't let Toadsula hire his own staff so I doubt the niners coaching staff will respect the head coach either.

I don't feel sorry for that fanbase and I am going to thoroughly enjoy watching that wreck as I drive by.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Lane Kiffin now being linked to the job

LANE KIFFIN.

Life comes at you fast Niner fans :lol:

Marvin49

Reaction score
Couple things...

1) Shanahan linked to "some position" with 49ers...no idea if its OC or not
2) Kiffin? Dear lord I hope not.
3) I think it'll be Rob Chudzinski. Niners waiting till his playoff run is done. Tomsula said he couldn't comment on who but there were people he was interested in who were still playing.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3rfwtqw6 said:
Scottemojo":3rfwtqw6 said:

This. That franchise is a dumpster fire right now. Why would he go and be An OC for a dysfunctional franchise when he's been a HC for all of these years. Plus I think "the rat" is one of the most over rated coaches in the NFL, so it wouldn't bother me if it happened.
+2
Dream on Frisco fans, ain't happenin'.

On a side note Hernia, Les would be right here agreeing with your assessment of The Rat. He couldn't stand the guy (with good reason).