Bears hiring Vic Fangio as defensive coordinator

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Vic Fangio is heading to the Windy City.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday that the Chicago Bears are hiring the former 49ers lieutenant to serve as John Fox's defensive coordinator, per a source informed of the situation. Fangio also interviewed with the Washington Redskins.

It's a strong hire for the Bears after Fangio helped build San Francisco's defense into a beast over the past four seasons. They tailed off this autumn, but the Niners ranked second, second and third in points allowed between 2011 and 2013.

The hiring of both Fox and Fangio addresses Chicago's greatest need: Rebuilding a defense that crumbled to pieces over the past two seasons under Marc Trestman and former defensive play-caller Mel Tucker.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... tn_sessler

Marvin49

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":1zeg3wx7 said:

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday that the Chicago Bears are hiring the former 49ers lieutenant to serve as John Fox's defensive coordinator, per a source informed of the situation. Fangio also interviewed with the Washington Redskins.

It's a strong hire for the Bears after Fangio helped build San Francisco's defense into a beast over the past four seasons. They tailed off this autumn, but the Niners ranked second, second and third in points allowed between 2011 and 2013.

The hiring of both Fox and Fangio addresses Chicago's greatest need: Rebuilding a defense that crumbled to pieces over the past two seasons under Marc Trestman and former defensive play-caller Mel Tucker.

Great hire, but he's not getting even close to the same personnel he inherited in SF.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":2lcpkmd0 said:
Great hire, but he's not getting even close to the same personnel he inherited in SF.
I think 100% of all human beings with a pulse realize that, Marvin. :)

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2jtgvkr8 said:
Marvin49":2jtgvkr8 said:
I think 100% of all human beings with a pulse realize that, Marvin. :)

You'd be surprised.

korboko

Reaction score
I think good coaching helps Chicago. Remember their 2006 Super Bowl run was with Rex Grossman.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Marvin49":mrcsa061 said:
KitsapGuy":mrcsa061 said:

Not yet. But guess where some SF free agents will end up?

Besides, Fangio didn't have a lot to work with in SF this year for much of the year, and he did pretty damn good. He will have that D turned around to a good extent by sometime in the middle of next year.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Really good hire. Guessing they also get Adam Gase as OC

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":75lk4bcq said:
They still have to figure out what to do with Cutler. :16:

Cutler is an anti-vaxxer. He's going to get the measles in no time. Problem solved.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":3ah05vve said:
KitsapGuy":3ah05vve said:

Give it a year Marv...The niner personnel will be right there with the Bears.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
rideaducati":3ke6jto6 said:
Marvin49":3ke6jto6 said:
KitsapGuy":3ke6jto6 said:

Give it a year Marv...The niner personnel will be right there with the Bears.

Might not even have to wait that long. Ahmad Brooks could sign there this off season after the Niners cut him to save money. Maybe also Aldon Smith and Chris Culliver if Jed decides they're not classy enough.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Hard not to be impressed with the work Chicago's done this off-season.

Absolute top notch defensive coordinator comes in, they bring in Gase as offensive coordinator who was expected by many to be a Head Coach. And while John Fox has his faults, he's also pretty good at bringing everything together. Denver's seasons flopped under his leadership, but this is also a guy who rode Jake Delhomme to a Super Bowl.

If I was a 49ers fan -- I'd be looking on with envy.

Still, Lane Kiffin eh?

pehawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":30lch28w said:

Absolute top notch defensive coordinator comes in, they bring in Gase as offensive coordinator who was expected by many to be a Head Coach. And while John Fox has his faults, he's also pretty good at bringing everything together. Denver's seasons flopped under his leadership, but this is also a guy who rode Jake Delhomme to a Super Bowl.

Still, Lane Kiffin eh?

Quoted for Marvin.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
pehawk":18ikv7tp said:
theENGLISHseahawk":18ikv7tp said:

Still, Lane Kiffin eh?

Quoted for Marvin.

Quoted so Marvin can actually see it.

Really good hire for Da Bears, too. A bit jelly.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Interesting hire I guess we will see how good he really is now. I would say he should do fine and will be a big improvement for Chicago but it won't help them until they can unload Cutler which supposedly is impossible for another year or maybe two years.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1yti529s said:
Interesting hire I guess we will see how good he really is now. I would say he should do fine and will be a big improvement for Chicago but it won't help them until they can unload Cutler which supposedly is impossible for another year or maybe two years.
One only has to look at his resume to see just how good a defensive coach he is. He's no young buck and has been behind some great defenses in his time

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Really good moves by the Bears this offseason. Hats off to them.