Pats' fan embarrassed and ashamed of my team...

Pats fan1

Reaction score
I'm a Pats fan (thinking of leaving the fan base) who is ashamed and embarrassed of being a Pats' fan. But I won't apologize since I didn't break any rules or law. I shouldn't have to feel ashamed or embarrassed to like a team, but that's the thing......."IF" all of this is true and "IF" the Pats were the only team inflating footballs well Belichick and who ever else in the Pats' organization need to be punished and they had no right to put the fans and the NFL in this uncompromising position to make us look and feel bad for something we fans didn't do. It's almost like guilt by association.

After Spy Gate I don't know if Belichick and Robert Kraft ever apologized to the fans. I know after the '07 Super Bowl both Belichick and Kraft stood in front of the owners at the annual owners meeting and apologized and gave their side of the story but I don't know if Belichick ever publicly apologized to the fans.

"IF" Belichick knew about this and either told people in the organization to break the rules then he and they should face severe punishment...

Punishment should be...
1.) Fine Belichick and the team.
2.) Suspend Belichick for half the season or entire season.
3.) Take away the Pats' first round draft pick.
4.) Put the Pats' organization on a 3 year probation. If at anytime during that 3 year probation any rules are violated than Belichick is fined and banned from the NFL for life and the Pats are not invited to the draft and lose all their draft picks.
5.) If any refs involved should be fined and banned for life from the NFL.

OP
OP
P

Pats fan1

Reaction score
From reading some early reports it looks very serious and it also looks like this could possibly not just be a Pats' issue, but a league issue where many teams around the NFL were doing this and many refs were involved. So the problem could be systemic and wide spread.

From early reports it looks like there's hints and possibilities the refs knew the game balls were under deflated and did nothing or something fishy was happening with the refs too and they could be in cahoots?

I've also read the officiating crew for that Pats/Colts game is being investigated.

Also, doesn't every NFL QB like their footballs set at a certain PSI to give them comfort? Aaron Rodgers likes his footballs over deflated as he said and he also said he doesn't like the refs messing with the footballs...

Rodgers: "Most QBs like flatter footballs."...
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/st ... -footballs

So if the theory is that footballs that are under deflated give the QB and WR's better odds at throwing and catching balls then why does Rodgers excel at throwing with over flated hard ball and his WR's do a great job at catching them in freezing weather in Lambeau Field?

Some easy answers is: "Well it's the Pats" and because of spy gate and the perception of the Pats' organization they don't get the benefit of the doubt and it's presumption of guilt and they are held to higher standards so many people aren't going to accept this being wide spread and won't accept if other teams do it. Which is unfair and all teams should be held to the same standards equally across the board.

Now "IF" the NFL does find out this is wide spread around the NFL and many teams under deflate or over inflate footballs beyond the limits then that really doesn't give the Pats an unfair advantage, since it's like players around the league using HGH, it's wide spread. So how do you punish 20+ teams if 20+ teams are doing it too?

And there still isn't any evidence out yet showing how either the Pats or refs deflated footballs in that time frame of 2 hours and 15 minutes before the game. Some one, either the Pats organization or refs got to the footballs some where some time.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Pats fan1":3edqonna said:
From reading some early reports it looks very serious and it also looks like this could possibly not just be a Pats' issue, but a league issue where many teams around the NFL were doing this and many refs were involved. So the problem could be systemic and wide spread.

From early reports it looks like there's hints and possibilities the refs knew the game balls were under deflated and did nothing or something fishy was happening with the refs too and they could be in cahoots?

I've also read the officiating crew for that Pats/Colts game is being investigated.

Also, doesn't every NFL QB like their footballs set at a certain PSI to give them comfort? Aaron Rodgers likes his footballs over deflated as he said and he also said he doesn't like the refs messing with the footballs...

So if the theory is that footballs that are under deflated give the QB and WR's better odds at throwing and catching balls then why does Rodgers excel at throwing with over flated hard ball and his WR's do a great job at catching them in freezing weather in Lambeau Field?

Some easy answers is: "Well it's the Pats" and because of spy gate and the perception of the Pats' organization they don't get the benefit of the doubt and it's presumption of guilt and they are held to higher standards so many people aren't going to accept this being wide spread and won't accept if other teams do it. Which is unfair and all teams should be held to the same standards equally across the board.

Now "IF" the NFL does find out this is wide spread around the NFL and many teams under deflate or over inflate footballs beyond the limits then that really doesn't give the Pats an unfair advantage, since it's like players around the league using HGH, it's wide spread. So how do you punish 20+ teams if 20+ teams are doing it too?

And there still isn't any evidence out yet showing how either the Pats or refs deflated footballs in that time frame of 2 hours and 15 minutes before the game. Some one, either the Pats organization or refs got to the footballs some where some time.
Yeah, we need to buffer this story of "Cheating" by putting the blame on some Ref's, I mean, after all, these Ref's are suppose to check the pressure of ALL the balls, and put a mark on them as between 12 1/2 to 13 1/2 lbs., and OKAY to use.
Maybe the cheating Ref's need to post someone to safeguard against someone from either team deflating, or over inflating the balls.......It's cheating the rules, and it's the Patriots that did it, and there will be some penalties handed to them because of it.
AND it doesn't matter if some Quarterbacks like the ball a little more inflated or not, the rule states between 12 1/2, and 13 1/2 lbs. NO EXCEPTIONS.

OP
OP
P

Pats fan1

Reaction score
scutterhawk":asrmsgbv said:
Pats fan1":asrmsgbv said:

Yeah, we need to buffer this story of "Cheating" by putting the blame on some Ref's, I mean, after all, these Ref's are suppose to check the pressure of ALL the balls, and put a mark on them as between 12 1/2 to 13 1/2 lbs., and OKAY to use.
Maybe the cheating Ref's need to post someone to safeguard against someone from either team deflating, or over inflating the balls.......It's cheating the rules, and it's the Patriots that did it, and there will be some penalties handed to them because of it.
AND it doesn't matter if some Quarterbacks like the ball a little more inflated or not, the rule states between 12 1/2, and 13 1/2 lbs. NO EXCEPTIONS.

I agree with that. And "IF" other QB's around the league are using footballs under or over the legal limit they and the coaches need to be fined and suspended and lose draft picks.

You can't keep falling back on: "Well it's the Pats who got caught" disingenuous hypocrisy. If cheating is bad then NO ONE should cheat.

If you disagree with that then you fall into the category of the crowd who say: "It's not cheating unless you get caught."

And if Russell Wilson and the Seahawks are found to be using under or over inflated footballs past the legal limit I don't want to see or hear excuses from the Seattle media or their fans. But I bet it will be swept under the rug like when former Steelers' coach Bill Cowher said many teams video tape or when Jimmy Johnson said his team use to search the waste baskets of the opposing team's locker room, or Aaron Rodgers wanting an over inflated ball. Did Rodgers specifically say all his footballs were never over the legal limit?

The problem is the corruption in the media and fans. It's all about controlling the narrative. If it goes against the media's narrative they won't fairly report it.

So basically other teams are better at getting away with cheating then the Patriots are or the NFL lets them.

mikeak

Reaction score
lsheldon":3iwobre7 said:
Up until I read this thread, I only worried about the media over reacting.

LOL - now you know why the media is over reacting. Their job is to cater to readers / viewers

netskier

Reaction score
The root of the problem is almost everyone has accepted Lombardi's assertion that winning is the only thing that is important. If you accept that, then it follows that you believe that cheating is acceptable.

How many here will cop to this?

Some here clearly believe this, as evidenced by their desire to have Suh, the dirty player, come play for the hawks. Dirty play violates the rules, and is therefore cheating.

I prefer football as a sport, and not a form of warfare, and therefore prefer that the Hawks win cleanly, with the exception that dirty play by the other team should be revenged.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Truthfully, this entire mess is actually an ownership issue. End of story!

vonstout

Reaction score
Pats fan1":1n4ov2zh said:
scutterhawk":1n4ov2zh said:
Pats fan1":1n4ov2zh said:

I agree with that. And "IF" other QB's around the league are using footballs under or over the legal limit they and the coaches need to be fined and suspended and lose draft picks.

You can't keep falling back on: "Well it's the Pats who got caught" disingenuous hypocrisy. If cheating is bad then NO ONE should cheat.

If you disagree with that then you fall into the category of the crowd who say: "It's not cheating unless you get caught."

And if Russell Wilson and the Seahawks are found to be using under or over inflated footballs past the legal limit I don't want to see or hear excuses from the Seattle media or their fans. But I bet it will be swept under the rug like when former Steelers' coach Bill Cowher said many teams video tape or when Jimmy Johnson said his team use to search the waste baskets of the opposing team's locker room, or Aaron Rodgers wanting an over inflated ball. Did Rodgers specifically say all his footballs were never over the legal limit?

The problem is the corruption in the media and fans. It's all about controlling the narrative. If it goes against the media's narrative they won't fairly report it.

So basically other teams are better at getting away with cheating then the Patriots are or the NFL lets them.

Please post a link to back up your statement that ANY other team is deflating game balls.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Everyone should go back to a regular football. Do the coin toss, kick the ball right out of the box. Game on.

OP
OP
P

Pats fan1

Reaction score
vonstout":3tr5ggvx said:
Pats fan1":3tr5ggvx said:
scutterhawk":3tr5ggvx said:
Pats fan1":3tr5ggvx said:

Please post a link to back up your statement that ANY other team is deflating game balls.

All over the media they have been interviewing former and current QB's about this and many say this is ridiculous and most tampered with the footballs in some way...

Leinart says “every” quarterback tampers with the ball, except one...

“Every team tampers with the footballs,” Matt Leinart said on Twitter. “Ask any Qb In the league, this is ridiculous!!”

Leinart then carved out one exception: “Actually my guy @kurt13warner didn’t tamper w the footballs because he wore gloves,” Leinart said. “Used to irritate me..So correction, almost all QBs!”

Kevin Clark of the Wall Street Journal, who’s currently in Mobile, Alabama for the first significant pre-draft event, supports the notion that tampering is commonplace by noting that “NFL head coaches here at Senior Bowl seem downright offended that people think this deflation stuff is a big deal.”
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... xcept-one/

Deflategate: NFL quarterbacks doctoring footballs is nothing new...
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... othing-new

If people only get their news from Obama's ESPN Reggie Love network you will miss a lot of news stories nationally.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Pats fan1":1blbpljc said:
vonstout":1blbpljc said:
Pats fan1":1blbpljc said:
scutterhawk":1blbpljc said:
Pats fan1 said:

All over the media they have been interviewing former and current QB's about this and many say this is ridiculous and most tampered with the footballs in some way...

“Every team tampers with the footballs,” Matt Leinart said on Twitter. “Ask any Qb In the league, this is ridiculous!!”

Leinart then carved out one exception: “Actually my guy @kurt13warner didn’t tamper w the footballs because he wore gloves,” Leinart said. “Used to irritate me..So correction, almost all QBs!”

Kevin Clark of the Wall Street Journal, who’s currently in Mobile, Alabama for the first significant pre-draft event, supports the notion that tampering is commonplace by noting that “NFL head coaches here at Senior Bowl seem downright offended that people think this deflation stuff is a big deal.”

If people only get their news from Obama's ESPN Reggie Love network you will miss a lot of news stories nationally.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patr ... difference

rideaducati

Reaction score

minormillikin

Reaction score
What Lienart says is meaningless.

He failed so bad in the NFL he's likely very bitter toward successful quarterbacks. That, and how would he be an expert on who doctors the ball, anyway? He was the backup for 4 different teams, not 32.

Vetamur

Reaction score
The refs weren't complicit, they were part of the enforcement. The NFL had been pre warned, so they checked the balls and were already planning to check later even if the Colts hadn't said anything.
It's not cheating to scuff up balls. That's allowed and it's why balls for kicking, "k balls", are kept separate.

So sick of the Patriots way...

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Pats fan1":3b9pynyh said:

I mean, if everyone does it then why were the Colts' balls fine?

Big talk, little walk amigo.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I'm slow, but I am beginning to think this guy is not really ashamed OR embarassed...

OP
OP
P

Pats fan1

Reaction score
rideaducati":2cpg8i0d said:
Pats fan1":2cpg8i0d said:
bigtrain21":2cpg8i0d said:

They have always been allowed to "doctor" balls prior to games, but the Pats did it AFTER they balls were signed off by the officials that did the psi checks which is NOT something all teams do.

Prove no other team ever did it after the balls were signed off on.