Discount Double . . .

HawkGA

Reaction score
whatever it is. Can somebody explain it to me? I gather it's the name for doing the belt thing, right? Why?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
HawkGA":3kswin4x said:
whatever it is. Can somebody explain it to me? I gather it's the name for doing the belt thing, right? Why?

State Farm commercial line.

Yes, really.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
So basically another instance where not having cable robs me of understanding pop culture. Darn!

kearly

Reaction score
It was a celebration move Rodgers invented early in his career called 'the championship belt', likely a corny reference to a WWF championship belt. Every time he scored a TD, he would make a very demonstrative championship belt holding move as if to say "I'm the champ, bitch!" It didn't really need to be explained, it was hilarious and it worked.

A couple years after he started using it, Rodgers began appearing in State Farm ads. At the time State Farm was promoting a "discount double check" feature to always find savings for customers. To promote it, they had several sketches with Aaron Rodgers where State Farm customers "stole" Rodgers TD celebration and redubbed it the "discount double check."

[youtube]eMjqi8XPyls[/youtube]

The reason why was unclear, but Rodgers plays the part well, seeming annoyed that his awesome move has been stolen from him. The joke is taken further when the people who steal his move do not recognize who he is.

Similar to the infamous Peyton Manning nationwide ad, the sellout is so extreme that it actually works as comedy, and took on a life of its own. In the same way that people now mock Peyton Manning by slamming him with verses sung to the nationwide jingle, the "championship belt" celebration by Rodgers has been renamed "the discount double check" by fans, both mockingly and affectionately.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Rodgers said he originally came up with it when he was a backup, playing 2nd string. In order to motivate the 2nd stringers to play harder, he did "The Belt" to demonstrate winning on a play.

sc85sis

Reaction score
The fact this has to be explained is one of the reasons I don't want the NFCCG referred to as the discount double choke; years from now it won't make any sense. Besides, it takes away from the Hawks comeback.