Nice to see someone Call Brady out on Live TV!!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
All 3 of those former players may be looking for new jobs, they are going against the narrative of the NFL.
Not a fan of Bettis, but I'll give him and the others props for speaking up about it.

drdiags

Reaction score
Horrible timing. This can only galvanize the Patriots. You think our guys thrive on the us-vs-the-world mentality, Belicheck (sp?) and Brady strive on this stuff. This isn't their first rodeo. They could have been playing with medicine balls and still kicked the Colts butt.

It is fun to kick the other guys claiming you are above reproach, until you are not. I don't see it helping the Seahawks. That and Lane allowing the press coverage to change focus. Let's see what the sports news cycle switches to in the next couple of days.

Someone on the Pats knows whats up, but in the short term I see this as a rallying cry.

Smellyman

Reaction score
rallying cries are good in the locker room and in movies, but players win games.

Chips on their shoulders is great and all, but RW, ML, MB, ET, RS and even ADB are good players because they are good players.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
It's the Super Bowl. If you need motivation for that you're already losing.

Both teams will be ready to play. This is a non issue.

Smellyman

Reaction score
drdiags":1b649n7o said:
So it only flows one way? Got it.

Not what I said (or meant anyway). They are good because they are good players, not because of chips on their shoulders.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
drdiags":kciab553 said:
Horrible timing. This can only galvanize the Patriots. You think our guys thrive on the us-vs-the-world mentality, Belicheck (sp?) and Brady strive on this stuff. This isn't their first rodeo. They could have been playing with medicine balls and still kicked the Colts butt.

It is fun to kick the other guys claiming you are above reproach, until you are not. I don't see it helping the Seahawks. That and Lane allowing the press coverage to change focus. Let's see what the sports news cycle switches to in the next couple of days.

Someone on the Pats knows whats up, but in the short term I see this as a rallying cry.

This was exactly what I was thinking, I want this swept under the rug as soon as possible. When we were having our adderall problems with players getting suspended we always seemed to pull off some timely wins. This will pull that team together and create that us against the world narrative that usually helps teams immensely. Our guys have used it and for good reason, now the Pats can too and we seen how it can affect a team positively.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Smellyman":2qtxh60u said:
drdiags":2qtxh60u said:
So it only flows one way? Got it.

Not what I said (or meant anyway). They are good because they are good players, not because of chips on their shoulders.

That may be true, but having a chip causes players to go harder and faster so as to go out and prove the doubters wrong. I mean look at ADB and Sherm, they are great players now, but that chip fueled and pushed them to work as hard as possible so as to become as good as they have. If they didn't have that chip who knows if they get to the level they are currently at.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Blitzer88":31t1yotn said:
drdiags":31t1yotn said:

This was exactly what I was thinking, I want this swept under the rug as soon as possible. When we were having our adderall problems with players getting suspended we always seemed to pull off some timely wins. This will pull that team together and create that us against the world narrative that usually helps teams immensely. Our guys have used it and for good reason, now the Pats can too and we seen how it can affect a team positively.

BS, those players also now know brady is a cheat and he brought this onto the team. Brady drove a huge stake between them. I can't wait for the equipment manager to mess everything up for that team. You don't think that those guys are listening? Some people are going to have 2 different size shoes, those balls are going to be slick as shit. Those guys are done. Those guys are not getting a job anytime soon.

themunn

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3jbmg3bk said:
All 3 of those former players may be looking for new jobs, they are going against the narrative of the NFL.
Not a fan of Bettis, but I'll give him and the others props for speaking up about it.

They work for ESPN though - the network that pays the NFL $2bn per year. Somehow I don't think they'll comment...

themunn

Reaction score
Blitzer88":3kv82198 said:
That may be true, but having a chip causes players to go harder and faster so as to go out and prove the doubters wrong. I mean look at ADB and Sherm, they are great players now, but that chip fueled and pushed them to work as hard as possible so as to become as good as they have. If they didn't have that chip who knows if they get to the level they are currently at.

Only if they're innocent, do you really think that having been caught cheating and called out on it they'll play harder?

If this "galvanises" the team it could end up analogous to a poker player who had his bluff called and starts to tilt, they want to show that they're the best to prove their doubters wrong and so they play more aggressively - but they were doubted for a reason, and all that aggression serves to do is cause an additional weakness. If anything the best thing for the Patriots to do is to complete ignore that it's going on

Scottemojo

Reaction score
drdiags":366wimfr said:

Distractions are just that.

I am more interested in the physical aspect of them, maybe for the first time in years, having to use legal equipment. The stats on how little they fumble over the last 7 years are staggering. It could be likened to the effect on a golfer changing equipment, or a baseball player getting a different type of glove.

As far as the emotional part of it, matching Seattle's intensity is not optional for the Pats, even if this didn't happen at all. Will they be galvanized as a team because of this? Perhaps. Of course, the defending champs have been getting the fired up version of opponents all year, so it will be nothing new. Being pissed off at the world won't make their players faster or bigger or more assignment sound. After the first hits and the super bowl lather wears off, it will still be about execution and doing your job.

pehawk

Reaction score
This is different than Spygate, IMO. Spy gate was an emotional attempt to remove their credibility as a team. This only effects their offense, and at least so far I haven't heard a rallying cry stating all their wins are hogwash.

I'm a big proponent of gauging the emotion of teams and games. That said, I don't see this controversy as a galvanizing one. I see it as the opposite.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I look at it as a blessing. Now the press will have something else to talk about other than Marshawn! Other than that nothing will come of this!

gargantual

Reaction score
Another thing to consider is that this festered all season long with Spygate, whereas this is two weeks prior to the big game. Plus you have to factor in some time for the shock to wear off, at least for the players who didn't know this was going on.

That's another big point. Like a lot of commentators have suggested, anyone who touches the ball should've known at least something about this (unless it's been going on for so long they're used to the ball that way!). Wideouts, RBs, TEs, Center, etc are all touching the ball.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
Fudwamper":12ccbk16 said:
Blitzer88":12ccbk16 said:
drdiags":12ccbk16 said:

BS, those players also now know brady is a cheat and he brought this onto the team. Brady drove a huge stake between them. I can't wait for the equipment manager to mess everything up for that team. You don't think that those guys are listening? Some people are going to have 2 different size shoes, those balls are going to be slick as shit. Those guys are done. Those guys are not getting a job anytime soon.

Fantasize much?

gargantual

Reaction score
Will be fun to see how Brady handles a legally inflated ball. Look at how he acted in that press conference. I don't think I've ever heard Brady sound so rattled.

But then like Dilfer talked about this morning, maybe this is Darth Beli's way of shaking him up emotionally, and might end up twisting it into some kind of sick advantage. The Dark Side is strong in this one.