Crazy how brainwashed a fanbase can be

RunTheBall

Reaction score
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-pat ... y.1115569/

Read through the comments, just embarrassing. They literally worship Belichick.

"There is 0.0% chance anything major happens now. No way in hell does Bellichick give THAT press conference if there was even a doubt the balls were tampered with."

"Colts and Ravens need some kind of punishment for distracting us during the Superbowl preperation"

"He will get a standing ovation from the entire team tomorrow.

I am as proud as ever to be a Patriots fan."

49ers fanbase is actually not nearly as bad as some make it out to be, they are FAR less delusional than Patriots fans. It's like Nazi Germany with Patriots fans, Belichick and Brady can do no wrong. They will believe them til the day they die.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Pats fans (and bloggers/reporters) have certainly shown themselves in a new light this week.

Marvin looks positively critical of the Niners in comparison.

From day one of this whole thing, they've been on the defensive. Big time. Working themselves up into a frenzy to leap to defend Belichick's honor and rubbish this whole episode.

They are scared to death over how this mess might impact the fabled Belichick/Brady legacy.

el capitan

Reaction score
They act like Belichick is some kind of coaching genius but ignore how much of it is actually just extreme rule bending.

Take the ineligible receiver trick they pulled on the Ravens and Colts. Nate Solders TD against the Colts should never have stood because he was ineligible the play before so by rule he should either be ineligible on his TD play or he should be on the sidelines. But Belichick knows that by constantly changing who's eligable and who isn't and getting the plays off quickly the officials are getting confused and missing obvious penalties.
It's just cheating plain and simple in an attempt to overcome deficiencies in their roster. Their penchant for cheating scares me a lot more than anything their Offense could do legally.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
well look how far cheating has got them in the past...of course their fanbase would support or deny anything Belicheat or Tommy boy does...thankfully their time is alnost up.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
The essence of it isn't much different than our support of Ruskell, Mora, and even Carroll to an extent (ever notice how our accusations of him cheating at USC decreased upon his hire and basically went extinct upon our unveiling as a contender in the 2012 season?). It's fan-boy vs hater, Republican vs Democrat, team Jacob vs team Edward (yes, this is a Twilight reference), and [insert NFL team of closest proximity to place of upbringing and/or birth] vs [insert upcoming NFL opponent and/or generally non-sucky team slotted into the same division]. It's tribalism, baby. It's the same thing that can cause politicians of different party affiliation to disagree on issues in debate that they agree on when asked independently in non-party-affiliated language. They aren't brainwashed. They're only human!

Just like us.

GO HAWKS! BOO UPCOMING 2014-15 SEASON OPPONENT AND THEIR MOST HEAVILY PUBLICIZED NEGATIVE QUALITIES!

Now to bask in the divine glory of my brain's dopamine-based reward cycle for having made both a statement promoting my tribe and one at the expense of "them". Wow, it's kind of like a drug. I might even do things that seem crazy and irrational to continue to experience this feeling!

mirrikat45

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":gn8bx1ey said:
They are scared to death over how this mess might impact the fabled Belichick/Brady legacy.

Absolutely this. I've had great pleasure all week (I'm an evil SOB) reading their forums. They cling to every possible shred of hope that this blows over. I'm sure a great deal of those not posting feel pretty embarrassed though.

el capitan

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":2er1ywa7 said:
The essence of it isn't much different than our support of Ruskell, Mora, and even Carroll to an extent (ever notice how our accusations of him cheating at USC decreased upon his hire and basically went extinct upon our unveiling as a contender in the 2012 season?). It's fan-boy vs hater, Republican vs Democrat, team Jacob vs team Edward (yes, this is a Twilight reference), and [insert NFL team of closest proximity to place of upbringing and/or birth] vs [insert upcoming NFL opponent and/or generally non-sucky team slotted into the same division]. It's tribalism, baby. It's the same thing that can cause politicians of different party affiliation to disagree on issues in debate that they agree on when asked independently in non-party-affiliated language. They aren't brainwashed. They're only human!

Just like us.

GO HAWKS! BOO UPCOMING 2014-15 SEASON OPPONENT AND THEIR MOST HEAVILY PUBLICIZED NEGATIVE QUALITIES!

Now to bask in the divine glory of my brain's dopamine-based reward cycle for having made both a statement promoting my tribe and one at the expense of "them". Wow, it's kind of like a drug. I might even do things that seem crazy and irrational to continue to experience this feeling!

I don't think the reference to Ruskell or Mora applies, they were extremely incompetent but not cheats and there were more than enough fans calling them out during their time here. And anything Carroll did or didn't do at USC doesn't corncern me as I don't see how it applies to his success here.
Also when Irvin, BB and Thurmond were suspended I don't remember too many people defending them on this board, as I recall most posters were pretty pissed at them for potentially damaging a promising season.
Yeah we all can be blind to our teams deficiencies at times but ignoring the fact that your HOF HC and QB are blatantly cheating goes beyond homerism. The Patriots are embarrassing black mark against the integrity of the NFL and their fans know it.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2oub7j5p said:
Pats fans (and bloggers/reporters) have certainly shown themselves in a new light this week.

Marvin looks positively critical of the Niners in comparison.

From day one of this whole thing, they've been on the defensive. Big time. Working themselves up into a frenzy to leap to defend Belichick's honor and rubbish this whole episode.

We'll be the same in a few years towards Carroll and Wilson. We're still in the honeymoon phase.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I know I won't be (he says smugly).

I thought the PED stuff was embarrassing, especially when Irvin got his suspension. It smacked of a franchise that couldn't control its players. It was poor, very poor. Indefensible. Thankfully they finally took control of the situation after that to avoid any further embarrassment.

If I were a Pats fan I'd be shaking my head about this and laying low. Probably avoiding it and hoping it'd go away, trying to look forward to the Super Bowl. I certainly wouldn't be waging war on anyone who dares question the team. It's an ugly story for New England. Ridiculous, but still ugly.

And then stuff like this from a guy I respect on Twitter (Pats fan):

-@RSherman_25 is obviously a phenomenal corner.

Just wondering why he craves constant validation of that fact.

They're coming across like a bunch of whiny little girls.

Man up.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
el capitan":2324ikcm said:
I don't think the reference to Ruskell or Mora applies, they were extremely incompetent but not cheats and there were more than enough fans calling them out during their time here. And anything Carroll did or didn't do at USC doesn't corncern me as I don't see how it applies to his success here.
Also when Irvin, BB and Thurmond were suspended I don't remember too many people defending them on this board, as I recall most posters were pretty pissed at them for potentially damaging a promising season.
Yeah we all can be blind to our teams deficiencies at times but ignoring the fact that your HOF HC and QB are blatantly cheating goes beyond homerism. The Patriots are embarrassing black mark against the integrity of the NFL and their fans know it.

It absolutely does apply but only in a broader way than you're thinking. Some of us supported Ruskell and/or Mora despite their inability to perform their positions to a certain standard because we weren't able to perceive how poorly they were really doing. With the Patriots fans, if they are cheating and both Brady and Belichick are behind it, they're going to find their perceptions (and the hopes that motivate those perceptions) were misaligned with reality as well. We may not have defended the players during our stint as the "SeAdderall Seahawks" but we did defend Pete Carroll during this time. We may have acted like we knew he wasn't involved in a steroid scheme but we didn't. We believed and hoped it was only a select few players being caught in an unfortunately small window of time and eventually the lack of evidence seems to have confirmed this.

Patriots fans just don't want to see the lives they've vicariously lived through their local NFL franchise suffer the indignation of having the two biggest contributors to their vicariously obtained success become misaligned with their perceptions of them. That's just plain uncomfortable and it should be understandable given we've done the same in the past and will likely do so again. Maybe it does extend beyond homerism and if we were in their shoes we would be more skeptical of our guys in the face of the kind of the evidence that's currently stacked up against Brady and Belichick. Or maybe that skepticism would be an extension of something bigger than the Seahawks, like our overall slightly more education driven and health inclined culture of the Pacific northwest and its various cognitive benefits. If we are less foolish as fans than this still doesn't make us better fans. As is with so much else in life, it just makes us luckier to be where we are.