ESPN Saints Blog: Maxwell Good Fit for Saints

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/59885/seahawks-cb-byron-maxwell-a-free-agent-worth-watching-for-saints[/urltargetblank]

I know he's going to get some interest in free agency if we can't lock him up within our budget beforehand, and this Saints writer would like to see them take a shot at him.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I just don't see how we are going to resign him so I expect him to be gone but you never know I guess. Also New Orleans would be smart to at least try to sign him but I expect teams like Jacksonville with money to burn to go hard for him in any case.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":p7otjnco said:
I just don't see how we are going to resign him so I expect him to be gone but you never know I guess. Also New Orleans would be smart to at least try to sign him.

I think people forget that we have wiggle room. Russell and Bobby are both under very low contracts for next year. Their extensions will continue the current contract and get them signing bonuses. That would allow the team to give Maxwell some pretty good guaranteed money in the first year with bonuses structured into following years.

In other words there are ways to structure these contracts to balance the payouts and stay within the cap.

With that said, even doing this, it's still a strong possibility that another team would be willing to pay him more than we will pay him.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I have no idea how the cap works but I trust John and when he says a player is a priority that we don't tend to lowball that player so I figure he has some insane plan in his pocket that he will whip out and shock us all.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1wi2cbee said:
I have no idea how the cap works but I trust John and when he says a player is a priority that we don't tend to lowball that player so I figure he has some insane plan in his pocket that he will whip out and shock us all.

I agree, we won't lowball him, but I also believe that John has a number in mind, as he does for all our players. Him and Pete always talk about "the plan", and I'm certain that plan includes values for every player on our team. My only concern is that another team values him quite a bit higher than we do. Schofield is a perfect example of that. The Giants were willing to give him several million dollars per year and we just weren't going to offer that. We lucked out when he failed his physical, because he's played some really good ball for us this year.

pehawk

Reaction score
I know I'm in the minority, but, I really don't care if he leaves. And, I'll be extremely surprised if he does indeed get resigned here. The drop off between Maxwell and Simon/Lane/Bailey/whomever else they pick up or draft isn't worth millions.

I fully expect that CB position to always be a first-contract type. Someone like Maxwell or Simon, who they let develop and they personally coach up.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
pehawk":2pg107az said:
I know I'm in the minority, but, I really don't care if he leaves. And, I'll be extremely surprised if he does indeed get resigned here. The drop off between Maxwell and Simon/Lane/Bailey/whomever else they pick up or draft isn't worth millions.

I fully expect that CB position to always be a first-contract type. Someone like Maxwell or Simon, who they let develop and they personally coach up.
That has been my opinion also at least until JS specifically pointed out Maxwell as a priority even though it makes little sense to me I've tried to adjust my thinking about him because of it.

pehawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2350up13 said:
pehawk":2350up13 said:

That has been my opinion also at least until JS specifically pointed out Maxwell as a priority even though it makes little sense to me I've tried to adjust my thinking about him because of it.

True, but what could John have said besides what he did? Of course he's going to say that. But, who knows? IMO, KJ was the most replaceable part of the Seahawks defense and they locked him up.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
pehawk":1i5qofu9 said:
MizzouHawkGal":1i5qofu9 said:
pehawk":1i5qofu9 said:

True, but what could John have said besides what he did? Of course he's going to say that. But, who knows? IMO, KJ was the most replaceable part of the Seahawks defense and they locked him up.

KJ does get out of his gap and teams have been able to run on this, but I believe he's really good in coverage and that in itself is worth keeping him around. I think we can teach him the fundamentals of assignment football easier than we can teach another Linebacker to cover like he does

pehawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":1hp67yuk said:
pehawk":1hp67yuk said:
MizzouHawkGal":1hp67yuk said:
pehawk":1hp67yuk said:

KJ does get out of his gap and teams have been able to run on this, but I believe he's really good in coverage and that in itself is worth keeping him around. I think we can teach him the fundamentals of assignment football easier than we can teach another Linebacker to cover like he does

+1....good observation/read. Dude drives me batty at times though.

I see the Maxwell situation much like the situation with the last Bayou defensive defector; Hawthorne. The Hawks will say the right things, and would certainly have him back, but at far less of a number than the FA market will provide.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
The Saints reporter is discussing free agent targets??

He might want to look at New Orleans' cap situation.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3rjoxjhx said:

He both mentioned it and blew it off in the same sentence

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
kidhawk":3iq6fk16 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3iq6fk16 said:

He both mentioned it and blew it off in the same sentence

Saints cap #: 167 million. No wonder he blew it off. They only have to cut Drew Brees to make things work with Maxi.

(133 million this year; 145 next year?)

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
Pipe dream. Our cap situation is terrible.

Unless Loomis pulls a magic trick like he always does in the offseason.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
BlackandGolden":3mt72sml said:

Magic tricks cumulatively make the cap situation worse. Eventually the piper will have to be paid.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
BlackandGolden":22socxow said:

His magic trick backfired this past year.....it was a bad move getting rid of Sproles. What he needs to do is get rid of gray hair running the defense.

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2y1qvi9t said:
BlackandGolden":2y1qvi9t said:

His magic trick backfired this past year.....it was a bad move getting rid of Sproles. What he needs to do is get rid of gray hair running the defense.

Cooks was meant to takes Sproles' place, but yeah, I do wish we kept him along.
Payton probably doesn't want to be seen as someone that can't keep a DC. Firing Ryan would make the 5th DC in 9 years under his tenure, so I see he's trying something different this time around.

But I'm all in for cleaning house with some of those lousy position coaches!

drdiags

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3itp2fi9 said:

That is what I was thinking. The Saints put a few bucks into their secondary last year. They have to do work with Colston, Evans (I think) and a few others. Maybe they are willing to spend but I thought I read Joel Curry talking about their cap difficulties.

I guess if they want him bad enough they will figure out a way.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Well, if they set enough deadwood adrift, they could do it. I'll be surprised if they go in that direction, but who knows?